HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:08 PM
in the middle, somewhere...
Joined Jun 2007
199 Posts
I thought CX2s had a failsafe state, that once it was out of range, it dropped the throttle.

It sounds like they are flying away under power. I thought that the DSM2 failsafe stuff was supposed to help prevent that, by dropping the heli when it went out of range, which I was under the impression, was about 150 yards, or something.
CanardianFan is offline Find More Posts by CanardianFan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:44 AM
Joined Feb 2007
59 Posts
Okay. First of all, since my last post, I was worried that I drove everyone away since there was no reply for a while, especially from the usual folks who've posted many valuable info.

Jongalt26, that must have been scary. Sorry to hear. Good luck in finding your CX2.

TABLESAWTIM, I finally installed the Xtreme 180 motors. Although I don't have reference for the bad ones, the batch I got seem powerful. I like it and thanks for the recommendation. If there are batches of these motors that have reduced performance, I really hope it's temporary.

Besides the new motors, I replaced all the aluminum parts with the original stock plastic kinds in trying to reduce some weight. I also removed the heat sink since (for my specific CX2 only) the temperatures didn't feel any cooler than without it. And last, I'm experimenting with flying it without the flybar weights and rubber tips.

Since these changes, so far I've flown it through two battery packs. I like it. Note that this doesn't mean that I'm recommending it. Without the flybar weights, I feel that it's more responsive. That "may" also be because its lighter now. There's still some control mixing. When pushing forward, it slides to the left a little which I thought was solved since last time. As for the tail drift, so far it happens less than it did. I'll have to fly it some more to get a better feel.
kratos is offline Find More Posts by kratos
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:53 AM
Trex 450 SE V2
New Jersey (Home of the Soprano's)
Joined Jul 2007
177 Posts
Canadianfan, as I understand it, the way your Tx is binded determines what happens if it get's away from you. If you did the binding with the throttle down and the right stick in neutral, then when you get out of range the throttle will chop, if it was binded at full throttle, it will continue to fly, half throttle it will gradually lose altitude, etc.,etc.,etc..
crashcorrigan is offline Find More Posts by crashcorrigan
Old Jul 26, 2007, 01:55 AM
ACT, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratos
And last, I'm experimenting with flying it without the flybar weights and rubber tips.
I've flown without the weights before, and it certainly makes for a twitchier bird. Stability is compromised, but it also reduces the pendulum effect the flybar has on canceling out cyclic inputs. Going from mid-stick to full forward elevator will initially throw the bird forward, but the weighted flybar will quickly catch up and arrest the forward motion, causing it to slow. Without the weights, the flybar no longer has the authority, and the heli will continue at speed.

That all sounds good right? However, I took mine off as a beginner (after losing one), and boy was it tough to fly, it was very responsive and very easy to over-correct. Not good when you fly in a living room. I got weights again, but I have heard people trimming the bar, attaching small collars and tubing to lend moderate weight and yet still improve performance.

CanardianFan: As for the throttle question, have you ever absent mindly turned off your transmitter before unplugging your battery? I have and the bird does nothing. So I presume that out of the box, that's what would happen if the transceiver and receiver lose contact...
CrowdedTrousers is offline Find More Posts by CrowdedTrousers
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:00 AM
CLIO,AL
Joined Mar 2007
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51
None of the coax helicopters are meant to be flown out side! We take a risk if we do. Best thing to do outside if the copter starts to get away is to drop throttle. I know this isn't what any of us would ever want to do but that's the only thing that will bring your baby back
check this video out on flying high with my old cx!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718783

Sam
flatiron is offline Find More Posts by flatiron
Old Jul 26, 2007, 07:23 PM
The Future is Here Today
Kansas City
Joined Jan 2007
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatiron
check this video out on flying high with my old cx!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718783

Sam
Man, you think that's flying high, mine was just a little dot in the sky, way way above the tree tops when it ran away from home.
jdunn9 is offline Find More Posts by jdunn9
Old Jul 26, 2007, 07:36 PM
The Future is Here Today
Kansas City
Joined Jan 2007
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongalt26
Yea those skids are awesome.

So, I have yet to fly my cx2 indoors, I was such a noob that outdoors was the only way to go. I upgraded to all of the aluminum, the blue boomtown skids, blue fins, and boom. If you look at Klondikes avatar, that's what mine looked liked. {I didnt mean to copy you bro lol} It flew really well outdoors and I rarely had problems even in light breezes. I was hopeing to order the new Xtreme skids + boom and xtreme motors, and new canopy.

Over the last couple of months since I bought it I actually gained some confidence in flying it. How foolish of me.

Now my biggest complaint with the cx2 is that I have to give it throttle to make it move forward back or strafing. In hover I could get it to respond, but it responded more better with additional throttle as most of you well know. This meant to me, that on the decent it would come essentially straight down, sometimes rocking to & fro depending on how much I cut the throttle.

I got home today hung out with my 1 yr old son until his bedtime and noticed that it wasn't too breezy outside. Screw dinner i wanted soem flight time.
Grabbed my gear, popped in the battery and took off from my deck.
I flew it out over the driveway and in doing so gave it some throttle, which lifted it about 20'-30', no biggie. Then a breeze came which pushed it over the neighbors house, still no biggie. Started to bring it back but had to give it some more throttle, increasing the lift and a bigger breeze came, now it was over my neighbors a couple of doors down. Then i got that little twinge in the stomach - uh oh i'm gonna wreck it. I wish I would have wrecked it...

Tried to bring it back, gave it more throttle, it went higher, flew further away. It then ended up too far way to tell the orientation. Now it was getting pretty damn far away, i cut the thottle to 30-40% to try and bring it down, but it was a pin point in the sky, easily 300'+ away from me. I lost view of it when it crossed behind a large tree that was in my neighbors yard. I ended up walking around for 20 mintues, then driving around but it ended up too dark for it to be useful. I guess i'll put a sign up in my neighborhood and post a reward if found... what a bummer lol.

Now i can't decide what to get. I've been flying on Aerofly pro deluxe but am far from profficient with CP's.

I may snag a honeybee FP per Diggs suggestion [At least i think it was Diggs] and then start building a Trex and continue training on the sim.

Hey is it T-rex like the dinosaur or Trex like the bike company?

Thanks!
j
Check out this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobs r us
I mean it took me 3 months to learn on the SIM I just bought a BCX2 today the battery is getting its first charge as I type this. I can't wait to fly it
Hope this never happens to you. I was talking to my neighbor and his 6 year old daughter last night and she saw my CX2. She asked where I flew it and I told her inside the house. She didn't believe me so I showed her. Next she asked how high it would go. As it was a zero wind condition outside I said let's go outside and see. (I have done this dozens of time) I took it up to where it was still visible and I could still see where the tail was and I knew I was still in full control. It helped as I had it modded with the light kit. Just as I was about to bring it back down it must have caught an updraft because it shot straight up and in just a matter of a few seconds it disappeared from sight. I'm thinking still not a problem so I started using left stick to try and bring it down. I saw it for a moment after it had lost some altitude, at about 30 degrees left from the original take off point, but only because I spotted the nose light, and tried to fly it back towards me using the nose light to keep me orientated. No response from my BCX2 at all and then it shot straight back up again and I lost sight of it for good. Wonder where it landed.
jdunn9 is offline Find More Posts by jdunn9
Old Jul 26, 2007, 09:06 PM
CLIO,AL
Joined Mar 2007
78 Posts
Last edited by flatiron; Jul 28, 2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 09:56 PM
Regular
P-ville TX
Joined May 2007
424 Posts
Has anyone used the stock CX2 Transmitter with any of the Flight Sims out there?
ScottGTO is offline Find More Posts by ScottGTO
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:09 PM
Born again newbie
Calgary, Canada
Joined Jul 2007
994 Posts
ScottGTO: Check out http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718240
dmulligan is offline Find More Posts by dmulligan
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:13 PM
Regular
P-ville TX
Joined May 2007
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmulligan
Thanks Dmulligan
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:34 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGTO
Has anyone used the stock CX2 Transmitter with any of the Flight Sims out there?
MileHighWings.com has a USB interface for the CX2 transmitter. I bought the one for the DX7 and it works great with ClearView, so I would expect the CX2 one to work as well.
TheBum is online now Find More Posts by TheBum
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:40 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,494 Posts
the cx2 works with clearview without any adapter?
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:50 PM
Regular
P-ville TX
Joined May 2007
424 Posts
Well I tried using an S-video cable to Mini Jack for my E-sky 6 channel since I don't have a mini din cable on both ends, with eh Proplus but could only get the heli to spin in circles, no throttle or lift I went through all the calibration and step by step etc. I guess I will just see if I can go tomorrow to Fry's and get a mini 3.5mm mono cable and try the LPSDSM xmitter
Old Jul 27, 2007, 02:20 PM
CLIO,AL
Joined Mar 2007
78 Posts
Check out CX, flying outside video
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...10#post7881167
Sam