HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2007, 05:34 AM
ACT, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
105 Posts
Oh the carnage...

I crashed my bx2 a few days ago trying to fly it in a breeze with no flybar weights. Yeah I know, asking for trouble and I got it. While in FFF, the nose started pointing down; I couldn't pull it up and nose dived hard into the ground. The lower blade was parallel with the length of the copter and took the brunt. Lower rotor head blade pins sheared, and the thinner guide pins snapped as well. Time to put on the alum rotor head.

So I did that, and made a makeshift flybar by using locking collars, and put in my alum head inner shaft as well. Since, I been getting bad TBE, suspect the homemade flybar ain't really doing much for me. Trying to trim it indoors and fighting the TBE, it got a bit close to me, crashing into the aerial of the radio and I shredded all four blades in one hit.

Been a heavy few days...

I got a new flybar coming in a few days, but I suspect I might have a bent outer shaft from the nose dive. I can't tell when it's out of the chopper, seems straight when I lie it on a surface. But when I observe it without the inner shaft in, I notice at lower revs it seems to not to be rotating completely centrally. You can really notice it when you put the upper bearing on. Got a new outer shaft on order as well. There's not going to be much original gear on this baby in a few days...just over a week after purchase!
CrowdedTrousers is offline Find More Posts by CrowdedTrousers
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2007, 11:46 AM
Opposable dumb thumbs
Lubbock, Texas
Joined May 2007
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly-r-die
Well, turns out it was that the two pieces that are used to secure the swashplate to the lower rotor head had somehow got switched around to where the smaller holes that go over the two pins where not allowing full tilt. (must have switched it around during a blade change and not noticed.) I did do a swash leveling and turns out didn't have to do all that much. Just a half turn one of the pushrods and was good to go. I like 'flying' the heli so mine is about a full turn away from a dead still hover.

Wow,

I had wondered what would happen if those pieces got reversed, I guess we know now. Glad you got her flyin' well. I ran a couple of packs through mine yesterday and plan on doing the same today.
Swash McHover is offline Find More Posts by Swash McHover
Old Jul 02, 2007, 03:24 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,438 Posts
I gotta thank whoever came up with the idea of using bi-directional filament tape on the blades. Just hit the corner of a brick building and a lower blade snapped in half. Since the tape held the pieces together - a spot of thin CA and some spritz and didn't have time to charge the battery before its airborne. The other blades weren't damaged. Without the tape I usually get little pieces of plastic scattered everywhere. Great idea! I used the 3M extreme brand from the office supply place and trimmed it to the edge with a piece of sandpaper.
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Jul 02, 2007, 09:02 PM
Joined Dec 2005
68 Posts
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post a link and show off my custom Carbon fiber tail booms, My BCX boom designs are real carbon not just a graphite stick, i have them on ebay $25.99 FREE shipping plus full set of blades top and bottom.

Have a nice Day.

http://stores.ebay.com/State-Line-Hobbies

http://stores.ebay.com/State-Line-Hobbies
http://www.StateLineHobbies.com
Pro Z Racing is offline Find More Posts by Pro Z Racing
Old Jul 02, 2007, 11:50 PM
Joined Jun 2006
284 Posts
Statelinehobby, this is the guy that ripped off our o-ring stabilizer design. It is one thing too to rip off ideas but to call it the same thing shows a lack of creativity and we consider it tasteless. Besides that his only post here are spam.

There are other guy's out there now making booms too and being creative. So we say support originality even if it is not us, support the people that put the effort into designing new products and ideas, not the guy's that copy. For those that do support or products we do appreciate your business.

Now here is my counter spam.

www.boomtownhobbies.com

www.boomtownhobbies.com
stersman is offline Find More Posts by stersman
Old Jul 03, 2007, 12:03 AM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
easier and cheaper just to make your own isnt it? I do have your boomtown skids for my dads CX and they are pretty nice
Blade_Killer is offline Find More Posts by Blade_Killer
Old Jul 03, 2007, 12:55 AM
Regular
P-ville TX
Joined May 2007
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowdedTrousers
So I did that, and made a makeshift flybar by using locking collars, and put in my alum head inner shaft as well. Since, I been getting bad TBE, suspect the homemade flybar ain't really doing much for me. Trying to trim it indoors and fighting the TBE, it got a bit close to me, crashing into the aerial of the radio and I shredded all four blades in one hit.
Hi Crowded, I am sorry to hear that you are not having a good experience with the shortened flybar. The TBE could be due to a few things. Could be a bent flybar, bent inner or outer shaft, unbalanced blades, loose upper or lower locking collars, Motor Mix Pot not dialed in. etc. However, if you want to try the shortened flybar, it is very important that you are exact equal distance on both sides and you have enough weight on the flybar. Also, that the linkage from the upper blade to the flybar is not binding at all and you have good blade tracking.
Good luck. Let us know how it turns out
Scott
ScottGTO is offline Find More Posts by ScottGTO
Old Jul 03, 2007, 01:18 AM
Regular
P-ville TX
Joined May 2007
424 Posts
Booya
ScottGTO is offline Find More Posts by ScottGTO
Old Jul 03, 2007, 06:02 AM
ACT, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
105 Posts
Shortened Flybar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGTO
Hi Crowded, I am sorry to hear that you are not having a good experience with the shortened flybar. The TBE could be due to a few things.
Yeah, I think my flybar isn't quite exact enough. I have crudely measured the lengths and they seem to be the same, but the collars I got are a little too large in the inner diameter; they don't sit centrally on the bar, sure that's not good for balance. So I think your idea was sound, just my implementation was a bit hacked. I need smaller collars.

I really think my TBE starts with the outer shaft; I suspect it got a pummeling in the nose-dive, and although taken out of the chopper it appears to roll flat on a surface, you can notice it rotating off-centre at low throttle without the inner shaft in. New outer shaft should arrive tomorrow, so I'll pick up some new collars when I pick it up, and hopefully get outta the bowl!
Old Jul 03, 2007, 07:33 AM
Indiana
USA, IN, Lafayette
Joined Jun 2007
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stersman
Statelinehobby, this is the guy that ripped off our o-ring stabilizer design. It is one thing too to rip off ideas but to call it the same thing shows a lack of creativity and we consider it tasteless. Besides that his only post here are spam.

There are other guy's out there now making booms too and being creative. So we say support originality even if it is not us, support the people that put the effort into designing new products and ideas, not the guy's that copy. For those that do support or products we do appreciate your business.

Now here is my counter spam.

www.boomtownhobbies.com

!
www.boomtownhobbies.com
I just noticed that boomtownhobbies had lowered their prices as well!
fly-r-die is offline Find More Posts by fly-r-die
Old Jul 03, 2007, 03:58 PM
Joined Dec 2005
68 Posts
Yes, forums are a great place to show specialized products for a specific model toy such as the BCX. As much as Stersman would like to think he was the original designer of the tail boom o-ring he is about 20 - 25 years too late, Pot calling the kettle black there Buddy. I do like how he lowered his price to under cut all his resellers, they love that. Keep sending them my way, thanks.

Bottom line you want a Graphite stick and plastic parts go here www.boomtownhobbies.com

If you want Real Carbon Fiber and Custom Original Designs go here http://stores.ebay.com/State-Line-Hobbies

Pro Z Racing is offline Find More Posts by Pro Z Racing
Old Jul 03, 2007, 05:56 PM
Justabirdindasky
Bakersfield, CA.
Joined Mar 2005
94 Posts
As a famous orator once said, in broken Ebonics, ďCanít we all just get along?

~Rodney King

TABLESAWTIM is offline Find More Posts by TABLESAWTIM
Old Jul 03, 2007, 11:47 PM
Killen, AL
Joined Jun 2007
5 Posts
Quick question guys:
I had a crash few days ago and bent the inner shaft/upper rotor head. While I was in the midst of taking the heli apart, I went ahead and took the lower rotor head off just to see how it attached to the outer shaft.
Now my question is, is there a specific way to determine how far up/down the outer shaft the lower head needs to be? I think I was able to relocate it to the position that it was in before but I just wanted to make sure.
jpcody is offline Find More Posts by jpcody
Old Jul 04, 2007, 12:57 AM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
there should be two holes in the outter shaft for the heads upper screws to fit into...
Blade_Killer is offline Find More Posts by Blade_Killer
Old Jul 04, 2007, 02:44 AM
ACT, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
105 Posts
Check this out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcody
is there a specific way to determine how far up/down the outer shaft the lower head needs to be? I think I was able to relocate it to the position that it was in before but I just wanted to make sure.
For disassemble/reassemble of the CX2 this document is worth its weight in bytes...check it out if you haven't seen it before.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=583

Amongst other things, it talks about marking your outer shaft to help you get the rotor head alignment correct.