But how much heavier are they?
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2007, 02:41 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
Scott - very nifty mod. The secret seems to be a means of stopping the flybar descending into the lower rotor. Carbon fibre tube is a brilliant solution.

Crowded - flying these outside is a real prob if there's the slightest aircurrent which might upset flybar stability. I've found that the stock weights are usually within a short radius on the ground directly below the exact spot that the initial apparent blade clash occured. They don't seem to fly too far.

Good luck.
Sirion is offline Find More Posts by Sirion
Old Jun 30, 2007, 04:10 AM
ACT, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirion
I've found that the stock weights are usually within a short radius on the ground directly below the exact spot that the initial apparent blade clash occured. They don't seem to fly too far.
Yeah, the park I was flying on had slightly long grass, and I could only estimate where the weight left the flybar as the chopper was in fff when it started to shake. I gave it a good look, but couldn't find the sucker.

Nice mod Scott, I just might drop by the LHS and see about those fixed weights tomorrow...although, I can fly it without weights, but have to be really on my game, especially indoors!!

Oh yeah...calling all Aussies...has anyone found a local distributor for the tougher skids? Or do I have to get some shipped out from the states?
CrowdedTrousers is offline Find More Posts by CrowdedTrousers
Old Jun 30, 2007, 06:27 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
CT - I think you might need to get them direct from Jamie - you can always get a few - say 3 - to save on postage and flog the spares.

Web -

http://shop.boomtownhobbies.com/

& contact Jamie at

jamie@boomtownhobbies.com

To set up the purchase - remember lots of colours available.
Sirion is offline Find More Posts by Sirion
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:22 AM
Justabirdindasky
Bakersfield, CA.
Joined Mar 2005
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowdedTrousers
Yeah, the park I was flying on had slightly long grass, and I could only estimate where the weight left the flybar as the chopper was in fff when it started to shake. I gave it a good look, but couldn't find the sucker.

Nice mod Scott, I just might drop by the LHS and see about those fixed weights tomorrow...although, I can fly it without weights, but have to be really on my game, especially indoors!!

Oh yeah...calling all Aussies...has anyone found a local distributor for the tougher skids? Or do I have to get some shipped out from the states?
Hi CrowdedTrousers,

www.BladeCX2.com in Canada, has similar skids.

It gives you more options.

Unfortunately, it won't help shipping charges.

Tim
TABLESAWTIM is offline Find More Posts by TABLESAWTIM
Last edited by TABLESAWTIM; Jun 30, 2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:34 AM
Regular
P-ville TX
Joined May 2007
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirion
Scott - very nifty mod. The secret seems to be a means of stopping the flybar descending into the lower rotor. Carbon fibre tube is a brilliant solution.

Crowded - flying these outside is a real prob if there's the slightest aircurrent which might upset flybar stability. I've found that the stock weights are usually within a short radius on the ground directly below the exact spot that the initial apparent blade clash occured. They don't seem to fly too far.

Good luck.
Thanks Sirion
I really have noticed a difference, it doesn't break and only slightly bend at the inside edge and not in the middle of the bar anymore and is very easy to straighten out. The heli is much more agile and I haven't had a single clash since changing to this new flybar setup.
ScottGTO is offline Find More Posts by ScottGTO
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:37 AM
Regular
P-ville TX
Joined May 2007
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowdedTrousers

Crowded, it cost me a total of 4.50 for the weights and .060 ID Carbon rod at the LHS. This mod completely changed the dynamics of the heli. Now it will continue forward flight and not pendulum after a short distance and stop moving. Good luck.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:40 AM
Justabirdindasky
Bakersfield, CA.
Joined Mar 2005
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut
So your saying they are a direct fit? If so, I didn't know that.

Very heavy? How much heavier that the stock gear & battery holder?
Hi ColoradoHeliNut,

The stock BCX+ skids/battery tray, come in at 10 grams.

The Xtreme skid/tray at about 16 grams more.

That's half the weight of a stock BCX+ motor.

I'm actually recalling this, due to the misplacement of the Word Doc I made of the Xtreme parts. I'll have to remove the components for accuracy.

I hopy that helps

Tim
Last edited by TABLESAWTIM; Jul 02, 2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:48 AM
Regular
P-ville TX
Joined May 2007
424 Posts
blade cx 2 dot com. I can't believe the prices on that site. 16 bucks for dynam vortex vented motors. Slickzero and mm has them for 9 bucks for the pair. That tail boom with the variable paddles is about the only original part on their site. Kinda looks cool.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 11:12 AM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,650 Posts
Has anybody tried this blade grip mod with the Xtreme Productions upper and lower hard blades on a CX2? I may try it with the E-Flite blades anyway in an attempt to reduce blade damage during a crash.
TheBum is offline Find More Posts by TheBum
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:14 PM
Joined Jun 2007
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TABLESAWTIM
Welcome mantral,

They sure do fit, and yes I have them. Very HEAVY!

They look real good.

Tim
Wow, you really did you homework on BCX2 mods... O.K. I am ready to upgrade to a tail boom. Any suggestions?

Though I was considering the extreme skids and boom I will not do it for weight considerations.

I broke my original tail from multiple crashes that is why I am in the market for a boom. Also would give my CX2 a different look.

thanks
mantral is offline Find More Posts by mantral
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:37 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,650 Posts
I know people may be tired of hearing this recommendation over and over again, but Jamie's boom and skids are great (boomtownhobbies.com). The boom is slightly lighter than the stock boom and the skids are about the same weight as the stock skids but much more flexible, i.e. they'll flex instead of breaking.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:09 PM
Justabirdindasky
Bakersfield, CA.
Joined Mar 2005
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantral
Wow, you really did you homework on BCX2 mods... O.K. I am ready to upgrade to a tail boom. Any suggestions?

Though I was considering the extreme skids and boom I will not do it for weight considerations.

I broke my original tail from multiple crashes that is why I am in the market for a boom. Also would give my CX2 a different look.

thanks
Hi mantral,

That's correct, Jamie's boom and skids at boomtownhobbies.com, have a fine price.

You'll have to learn a few new flying habits or unlearn old, due to the slender profile.

You will enjoy more flights outside and near ceiling fans.

Let us know what your experiences are when flying with the new components.

Tim
Old Jun 30, 2007, 09:29 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TABLESAWTIM
That's correct, Jamie's boom and skids at boomtownhobbies.com, have a fine price.
And the skids are fantastic in a crash, as I found out this evening (check out my post in this thread).
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:12 PM
Indiana
USA, IN, Lafayette
Joined Jun 2007
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swash McHover
Matt,

Sounds like your swash isn't level. See post #1483 up above, has a link to swash leveling instructions by klondikes.

Hope that helps

Matt
Well, turns out it was that the two pieces that are used to secure the swashplate to the lower rotor head had somehow got switched around to where the smaller holes that go over the two pins where not allowing full tilt. (must have switched it around during a blade change and not noticed.) I did do a swash leveling and turns out didn't have to do all that much. Just a half turn one of the pushrods and was good to go. I like 'flying' the heli so mine is about a full turn away from a dead still hover.
fly-r-die is offline Find More Posts by fly-r-die