HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:12 PM
Joined Jul 2010
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golem View Post
Hi Alex!
Great account of your efforts with this plane. Was good to hear you had her up and flying...before the sun conspired to shorten your day. That 7+oz weight should work fine, just means she'll fly a bit faster than designed. Given the current motor and robust electronics I'd add a couple inches to the wingspan making it a lot more floaty and slower flying.

I fully understand the motor you're using was a matter of convenience but unfortunately it's much better suited for small prop/high RPM applications given its 2800kV. Even with the GWS 7x3.5DD prop the specs I found for it shows a 13amp draw which will be beyond the capabilities of your 900mAh 10C battery so I'd be a bit cautious with that one. If you can swing it there are a lot of nice little 1000kV-1300kV motors (=/<24oz) for really really cheap that would be perfect for this plane. With one of those you could turn a 7" or 8" slow-fly prop nice and slow. You'd get more than enough thrust while probably also keeping the amp draw around 6 giving a lot more flight time!

Looking forward to seeing pictures and/or vids of your plane. This is such a nice little design it's great to see people giving it a go. Not sure what happened to magic612. He seems to have disappeared from the board some time ago which is a shame. There were some pretty interesting designs he kindly shared.

Here's hoping you get some good weather and quality air time!

Cheers!
Yes it is true, the weight wasn't overbearing and it flew slightly fast, however the gliding was exellent into the wind! As for the battery/motor arrangement i did notice that, even though the thrust was sufficient, the battery did not last a whole lot of time. I have two of them so i can double my flight time. I, a few days ago, managed to fix the servo problem but now have run into another problem... The motor dies after applying very little throttle. It isn't the battery or the prop because i have tested other ones with the same motor, and moving the wires that come out of it in certain ways allows it to work. This makes me think that the connection on the wire is not quite right, and this cannot support the current being drawn, making the esc cut it off. Because of this i am planning on buying a new motor.. Any further ideas about this? because i had it working for awhile, and even more so on another plane- a small delta wing where i used the same motor, battery, and esc. I guess it's time for this motor to go...

On the positive side, i had a few more excellent flights on this one before this. it takes off very easily and flies well after that.

I should be back in business after a new motor. Thanks for the insight!
Also, i wondered myself where magic612 was... Interesting..

Alex
PianoMan5 is offline Find More Posts by PianoMan5
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:57 PM
Oakhurst, CA
Joined May 2006
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoMan5 View Post
Yes it is true, the weight wasn't overbearing and it flew slightly fast, however the gliding was exellent into the wind! As for the battery/motor arrangement i did notice that, even though the thrust was sufficient, the battery did not last a whole lot of time. I have two of them so i can double my flight time. I, a few days ago, managed to fix the servo problem but now have run into another problem... The motor dies after applying very little throttle. It isn't the battery or the prop because i have tested other ones with the same motor, and moving the wires that come out of it in certain ways allows it to work. This makes me think that the connection on the wire is not quite right, and this cannot support the current being drawn, making the esc cut it off. Because of this i am planning on buying a new motor.. Any further ideas about this? because i had it working for awhile, and even more so on another plane- a small delta wing where i used the same motor, battery, and esc. I guess it's time for this motor to go...

On the positive side, i had a few more excellent flights on this one before this. it takes off very easily and flies well after that.

Alex
It sounds like the BEC cannot handle the load of the servos and the Rx. I had a similar problem and fixed it with a BEC with a bigger capacity.
ronaldf is offline Find More Posts by ronaldf
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:21 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoMan5 View Post

Alex
Are you using 2cells or 3 cells? Does the ESC automatically detect the difference or do you have to set the ESC to 2 or 3 cells?

I had the same problem with my planes with an automatic ESC using 2cells. What I thought might be happening is the high voltage of a freshly charged battery made the ESC register that it was a 3 cell and thus applying power triggered LVC for 3 cell not 2cell. A couple of times unplugging and replugging the battery and it wouldn't trigger LVC again. Also you could set the ESC to NIMH but you have to be careful about not over discharging the battery pack.

Is your ESC the Tower Pro 12 amp by chance?
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:31 PM
Joined Jul 2010
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurpal View Post
Are you using 2cells or 3 cells? Does the ESC automatically detect the difference or do you have to set the ESC to 2 or 3 cells?

I had the same problem with my planes with an automatic ESC using 2cells. What I thought might be happening is the high voltage of a freshly charged battery made the ESC register that it was a 3 cell and thus applying power triggered LVC for 3 cell not 2cell. A couple of times unplugging and replugging the battery and it wouldn't trigger LVC again. Also you could set the ESC to NIMH but you have to be careful about not over discharging the battery pack.

Is your ESC the Tower Pro 12 amp by chance?
No It detects that it's a 3-cell but i fixed the problem by resoldering one of the lousy connections and the current flow is now adequate. I've ordered a whole bunch of batteries and a new esc (another problem that i can't fix) and i should be up and running, for quite some time. If anyone's interested in getting 900mAh, 2 cell, 7.4v batteries (2 for $13.00!!!!, free shipping), lemme know and I can give you the link. It was a great ebay deal...

Alex
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
8 Posts
Just got my version flying and so far I love it. It is mostly unmodified from the plans except for an extra 2" added to the wingspan and I substituted a bamboo stick for the fuselage. Total AUW is 7.75oz with a 350mah NiMh. It's powered by a GWS LPS A drive and a BlueArrow 5A ESU.

It's built using Dollar Tree foam and butterfly net. I didn't have any balsa to use for the fuselage so I looked around the Dollar Tree and found the butterfly nets, a bit heavier than balsa but much stronger. The nets also yield some thicker soft wire that could be useful.

Video of flying in about 10mph winds. Most of the flying is far away in this video, skip to the last third to see the landing.

I had to think about the aileron servo placement, in the end I went with a wing mounted servo (so I don't have to worry about trim with the wing shifting) underneath the fuselage and a torque rod system. I had to build a little reinforcement bump to protect the servo and linkages and now it's pretty tricky rubber banding the wing on but it's still free to move so will help in a crash.

Speaking of crash I let a friend fly it who then directly lodged it in a tree but 10 minutes with hot glue gun and it's back in the air. I mounted the motor with a small balsa stick so the mount will break before the prop shaft.

I'm hooked on these small electric planes, so fun and convenient to fly.
TomTheGeek is offline Find More Posts by TomTheGeek
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Jul 2010
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTheGeek View Post
Just got my version flying and so far I love it. It is mostly unmodified from the plans except for an extra 2" added to the wingspan and I substituted a bamboo stick for the fuselage. Total AUW is 7.75oz with a 350mah NiMh. It's powered by a GWS LPS A drive and a BlueArrow 5A ESU.

It's built using Dollar Tree foam and butterfly net. I didn't have any balsa to use for the fuselage so I looked around the Dollar Tree and found the butterfly nets, a bit heavier than balsa but much stronger. The nets also yield some thicker soft wire that could be useful.

Video of flying in about 10mph winds. Most of the flying is far away in this video, skip to the last third to see the landing.

I had to think about the aileron servo placement, in the end I went with a wing mounted servo (so I don't have to worry about trim with the wing shifting) underneath the fuselage and a torque rod system. I had to build a little reinforcement bump to protect the servo and linkages and now it's pretty tricky rubber banding the wing on but it's still free to move so will help in a crash.

Speaking of crash I let a friend fly it who then directly lodged it in a tree but 10 minutes with hot glue gun and it's back in the air. I mounted the motor with a small balsa stick so the mount will break before the prop shaft.

I'm hooked on these small electric planes, so fun and convenient to fly.
I had a similar thing with the ailrons, but it was easier with only one servo in the middle, so I've glued the wing on to stop this adjustment.... Hopefully no crashes now...

Looks like a fun place to fly!

Alex
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
8 Posts
I didn't want to glue the wing on, I like having the wing removable for fixing things. I'm actually thinking about making another wing with a little less upper incidence angle and skip the ailerons altogether. I've got some 'heavy' 9g servos in it right now and with the limited power I'm working with (14w) I think that may make it a little more manageable. Because I can just rubber band on a different wing I will be trying a monoplane in a couple sizes and aspect ratios just to get an idea of what this little motor will fly.

It is a great place to fly just don't crash in the water! This side is actually a river and there's a dam just to the right so if you splash it chances are good it'll get smashed up by the dam and good luck trying to catch it.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Jul 2010
16 Posts
Wow That would be an interesting video

Yah I've found it's tough to take the two wings entirely off of the plane because the tail is in the back and the landing gear in the front, so it doesn't slide off...

Hopefully I won't need any repairs!

Alex
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
8 Posts
Little Go Bipe was my first foamie and while it worked, it wasn't really that well put together and a lot heavier than it needed to be. I decided to scrap the original airframe and start over using my improved techniques. Here is Little Go Bipe MK II, it has a carbon arrow for a fuselage, carbon pushrods, individual aileron servos and landing gear. I've also switched to a lighter 500mah LiPo battery and followed the plans more closely regarding wing strut placement and wing stabilizer.

Trying to use just a single aileron servo while keeping the wing removable was such a pain that this time I decided to say heck with it and use a servo for each aileron. This has a bunch of benefits with only a small weight penalty(~5gr). First mounting is much easier, I simply lay the servos in cutouts in the wing just outside of the wing stabilizer. The linkage is much simpler and this way they're connected to the wing so I don't have to worry about the wing shifting and messing up the aileron trim. Individual servos lets me mix in flaps and elevons for some really slow flying.

Maiden flight was this morning, it flies with a lot more power now and is very responsive. Landing gear needs some work or possibly a tail wheel because it's very easy to ground loop. Takeoffs are less than 10 feet. Elevons worked well and I also mixed in some rudder to the ailerons so the tail kicks out nicely.

I did however ruin a motor shaft when I went to dial in some flaps. I had it connected to a knob and as I added flap the plane started nosing over. Panicking I tried to back it off but instead I added more and it dove nose first into the pavement. Very little damage other than the bent drive shaft, going to order another one and then see if I can fix what I have in the meantime. I do have a brushless motor I could throw on but then I would have to fly at the school because it would be way too fast for the neighborhood. Might try it anyway just for laughs.