HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2007, 10:22 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Somewhere south of Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2006
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golem
More than for any other plane I've flown there I have people stop to watch it and actually asking me to fly it CLOSER to them! Later they approach and remark at how quiet,
Sweet...
Quote:
docile,
as intended!

Wait, no... don't say it - DON'T SAY IT!!!!
Quote:
and cute it is in the air.
D'oh!!! You said the plane is "cute".

Okay, you didn't actually say it - other people did. Ha! It's okay - it is a cute little bugger, I think.

Quote:
The only changes I've made since the first flights has been to add another strut between the fuse and upper wing. This served two purposes; One was too stop forward and aft movement of the upper wing which introduced twist in the lower, second was it helped eliminate entirely any additional span-wise flex.
I did use carbon fiber rod on the LE of both upper and lower wings on my Depron foam wings to counteract this, but a center strut would produce the same result, and probably be a tad lighter.

Thanks for the additional report, golem! I flew mine a couple weekends ago and did okay with it, but a wind gust picked up as I was landing and it, which flipped it over onto the asphalt and subsequently ripped off the upper wing and struts. Not a problem - a little epoxy and she'll be flight-worthy again in not time.

Glad you enjoy this plane - I'm truly humbled and excited you enjoy it as much as you do.
magic612 is offline Find More Posts by magic612
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2007, 03:09 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Yeah, "cute" was their description and not mine. Just the opposite for me, I see a mean little bugger as I envision a WWI era scout or fighter on the hunt over the French countryside. Probably should have given it the appropriate paint to match my vision.

Still looking forward to the day I acquire some Derpron. Will build another full fuse version with a target of <5.75oz at this size or <5.0oz at your original dimensions. Shouldn't be hard at all using 2.5g servos and 18mm CD for power along with a decidedly small 2s. Will let you know if I get there!

Sorry to hear about Mother Nature pulling a fast one on you. Good to hear though that she is fixable!

Thanks for the fun so far!
golem
golem is offline Find More Posts by golem
Old Jan 05, 2007, 08:28 PM
John Cock...tos...ton
LaGrange, GA
Joined Oct 2006
117 Posts
Hey guys,
I got back last weekend and had to get straight to work! So weather permitting, I hope to fly Sat or Sun. I will include pics and a video from my digital camera.

Sorry for the delay but...you know how it is. I look forward to the maiden.

Stephan
Stephan8 is offline Find More Posts by Stephan8
Old Jan 06, 2007, 09:09 AM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Stephan8!

Great to hear you are back and gearing up to get in the air with it. Hoping for good weather for you and will keep an eye out for the vid!

Cheers,
golem
Old Jan 06, 2007, 05:59 PM
John Cock...tos...ton
LaGrange, GA
Joined Oct 2006
117 Posts
It flies like heaven!!!

Well,

I finally got time to fly today. My friend shot the first clip. I sent it flying and it was hairy. I quickly landed and changed my sub-trim and expo settings.
I left that film out but will try to add it. It was only like one lap around the field and 7 seconds.

I sent it up again and it fly crazy but atleast straight and crazy. The wind was steady at 7- 10 mph but was gusting to 20. But it flew.

At first I was alittle disappointed and didn't enjoy the flight. I left and thought I would try with no wind.

So the second video is in my front yard. I never like to maiden in my front yard because I ahave very little room.

But in one of my first post, when I was building the go bipe, I said I wanted an Aroe Ace for the front yard but one that was faster and hotter for 3d.

So in the front yard it flew smoth and slow and fast and wild. I will still tweak some things but that flight was amazing

It is Aero Ace on crack!

Mine was built to exact planes but I addes a half fuse as seen in the pics. Just to cover my sloppy electrnics. Next will be to redo the fuse to make t cleaner.

So here are some finished pics. I am trying to upload the film on Googe and will post tonight if possoble.

Stephan8,

And thanks Magic and Golem for your support
Old Jan 06, 2007, 06:12 PM
John Cock...tos...ton
LaGrange, GA
Joined Oct 2006
117 Posts
Video!!!

Here are the vidoes taken today.

The first is the maiden. Then after a quick adjustment....the long maiden(or whatever).

Then the flight in m front yard with zero wind.

Sorry for the film. My friend took the first with a digital camera and the second was done by my wife

In the film in my front yard....that is our chihuahua walking in the street. Just in case wondered if it was abig rat or something.

Thanks again,
Stephan8
Last edited by Stephan8; Jan 06, 2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2007, 07:47 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Joined Jan 2006
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan8
The wind was steady at 7- 10 mph but was gusting to 20.
Yeah, this is definitely not a high winds plane!!! I had enough trouble with 5-8 mph winds....

Quote:
At first I was alittle disappointed and didn't enjoy the flight. I left and thought I would try with no wind.
Good idea!

Quote:
But in one of my first post, when I was building the go bipe, I said I wanted an Aroe Ace for the front yard but one that was faster and hotter for 3d.
That was pretty much the impetus behind me designing this plane in the first place. It actually goes a little faster than I had intended, but I also have yet to fly this last revision in calm conditions, so I may be able to go more slowly if I can get a calm day here. Darn "Windy City"....

Quote:
It is Aero Ace on crack!
Hmmm... add that to the way people described golem's LGB, and I guess that makes it a "cute bipe on crack". Haha!

Quote:
And thanks Magic and Golem for your support
You're welcome Stephan8. Glad you enjoy it!!

P.S. - I didn't see the videos on your last post. I found that mine were too large to post in this forum; I had to post them in the "Videos" forum, then provide a link from here to there.
Old Jan 06, 2007, 08:38 PM
John Cock...tos...ton
LaGrange, GA
Joined Oct 2006
117 Posts
Video try

Hey Magic.

I am trying again. If this works, it is the maiden from my front yard. It's thae best film so here goes the link. Hope it works.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1126565
Last edited by Stephan8; Jan 06, 2007 at 08:47 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2007, 09:33 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Joined Jan 2006
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Hey Magic.

I am trying again. If this works, it is the maiden from my front yard. It's thae best film so here goes the link. Hope it works.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1126565
Very cool! Nice job - looks like if flies great in that space. Tell your wife she did excellent work with the camera, too!
Old Jan 06, 2007, 10:13 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
So good to hear you got it on the wing in a pleasing way! That one looks to be flying quite well...even if you do seem to be a certified speed freak! You proved she handles nicely at speed and also gave a couple glimpses of sedate flight, sweet. Oh so right about that wind, it is not the best to fly in but can be considered interesting. Sure looked like you were having a good ol' time in zero wind second time around! It also seems you have a fine area to front-yard fly, about the same as I use at the park in the afternoon. The sun keeps me shuffled off onto a corner of the field lest I want to be blinded.

I dig the "fuse" you put up front, served its purpose well. Going to have to keep us updated on the full fuse it sounds like you're moving towards. Also, I don't believe you gave a rundown of you final specs...gear, weight, etc. Inquiring minds...

Btw, as for "cute"...an LGB in pink has got to be the winner of the "cute" moniker!

Keep up the great flying!

Cheers,
golem
Old Jan 07, 2007, 10:39 AM
Planes are cool ;)
Bath, UK
Joined Dec 2006
756 Posts
Looks great! I'm thinking of pursuing a similar design from EPP, as I have a more ready supply. Would need strengthening spars though, but some dowel along the leading edge should do ok.

Great Idea
Hughbert is offline Find More Posts by Hughbert
Last edited by Hughbert; Jan 07, 2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2007, 12:07 PM
John Cock...tos...ton
LaGrange, GA
Joined Oct 2006
117 Posts
Specs...

Golem,

Thanks for the compliments. But a speed freak....nah! Mine will slow down with some elevator but not really harrier. I can almost keep it in hover but need to move my CG back. Better safe in the first few flights right?

So right now it weighs 6.75 oz.
Motor is a gws brushless
Battery - Lipo hyperion 7.4 -350 mah Runs at med throttle for about 8-10 minutes

No landing gear but today is raining so I think it will be getting some today
No CF tubes or rods used for strengthining. I think it flexes but haven't had a problem yet.

3- 6gram servos
Berg Microstamp reciever 4ch
Castle Creation Thunderbird 9amp ESC (very responsive)

Can't really think of anything else.
Just ask!

I will try to get other vids posted.

Thanks, Stephan
Old Jan 07, 2007, 03:04 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Thanks for the additional info. Looking forward to the other vids too, like they say...a vid is worth 10,000 words!

To error on the side of caution is a good thing. You'll have to give us a final report after you finish your tweaks.

Seems like we're at about the same wing loading. Mine weighs just under 7.2oz but I did add 3.5" to the wingspan so it should be pretty close. Speaking of wings, it was hard to tell in your picture but kind of looked like your ailerons were set up positive (not following the normal downward sweep of the wing). If so this could have an effect on slow high alpha flight. I also think magic612 got the CG spot on. 2.75" back from the leading edge of the top wing works great for normal flight.

Now get those landing gear on there and have some fun flying, it is winter ya know! This crazy warm weather can't last forever!

Cheers,
golem
Old Jan 07, 2007, 03:19 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughbert
Looks great! I'm thinking of pursuing a similar design from EPP, as I have a more ready supply. Would need strengthening spars though, but some dowel along the leading edge should do ok.
Magic612 has a nice little design here and I'm sure you'll be pleased if building one. I've not used EPP before but this plane has such a short wingspan and is so light that flexing should not be a huge concern. But, since EPP is that much more flexible (what I gather from reading) I would probably uses gpw's secret weapon...bamboo skewers. Stiffening just the bottom wing with a spar made from a skewer or two should be more than enough, and plenty light. This will work especially well if you make sure to attach the upper wing to the fuse with one strut right in the center to eliminate top wing flex.

Be sure to let me (us) follow your progress if you jump in!

Cheers,
golem
Old Jan 22, 2007, 03:07 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
We got a few inches of snow here last evening so this morning I figured instead of losing a flying day why not cobble up a set of skis for the Little Go Bipe. A few pieces of scrap FFF and 20 minutes later we were off to the park.

Unfortunately the snow had a thin ice layer but the skis worked just the same. Even though I left the skin on the Protection Board (FFF) it did get just a bit ragged having slid across footprints in the snow/ice which produced sharp edges. The picture below is from after I got back so you can tell they actually faired quite well after MANY touch-n-go circuits along with full landings/takeoffs.

Cheers,
golem