SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2006, 01:37 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1 Posts
Discussion
Hardwired Triggered Camera

Hi guys.
I've spent a couple of hours searching the forum looking for some direction in choosing a good camera for AP. I see lots of servo triggers, a few IR triggers and at least one hardwire hack to provide RC shutter release, but nothing jumps out as the best way to do it.

I think I'm looking for a camera with a hardwired remote trigger. I would like to be able to take a series of photos at predictable times. Basically, I'd like to reduce the latency between when I ask for a photo, and when it is actually taken.

If hardwired triggers are unavailable, can you recommend cameras with IR triggers that will fire immediately without a 3 second delay? I think I read that the Pentax cameras will allow this.... any others?

I'm looking for either recommendations for a good camera (>5Mp) and or a good (read predictable) triggering system.

Thanks from an enthusiastic noob.

Dennis
dfenrick is offline Find More Posts by dfenrick
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2006, 01:51 PM
Flown There, Crashed That
Woodinville, Wa
Joined May 2006
622 Posts
My A620 with servo actuated shutter has about a 1 sec or less shutter lag between flipping the switch on my tx and taking a picture. To get very little shutter lag you will have to go to more expensive cameras.
E.N. is offline Find More Posts by E.N.
Old Dec 05, 2006, 03:35 PM
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
The Pentax, Nikon and Canon cameras and the Aiptek MPVR that I've tested with take the picture right away when triggered using IR. Only the Olympus seems to add a 3 second delay.

http://www.hexpertsystems.com/prism

MX
MX is offline Find More Posts by MX
Old Dec 05, 2006, 05:11 PM
San Jose, Ca
Joined Aug 2006
160 Posts
To hardwire the system:

1) Buy a radio controlled relay switch from DimensionEngineering (http://www.dimensionengineering.com/PicoSwitch.htm)
2) Cut 2 lengths of wire and connect the end of each one to the relay switch
3) Solder the other end of both wires to the shutter switch on the camera circuit board
4) Plug-in the relay switch to the gear or aux channel on your receiver

Now all you need to do is flick the gear (or aux) switch on your transmitter to take the picture.

The Aiptek camera is cheap and easy to modify for this.
mozmonkey is offline Find More Posts by mozmonkey
Old Dec 05, 2006, 05:13 PM
Belgium, Aalst
Joined Dec 2002
933 Posts
In my opinion the triggering mechanism has very little influence on the lag between the command and the actual picture being taken. IFAIK, big delays are due to the camera trying to focus which can be more difficult when moving. So using manual focus eliminates lots of the latency.

Frederic
FredericG is offline Find More Posts by FredericG
Old Dec 05, 2006, 10:31 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jun 2004
209 Posts
Hi Dennis, I posted this hardwire mod some time back,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...01#post2306525

If the link doesn't work, just search for 'Samsung 401'. I hope it helps you. Many shops here have an 'unconditional money back if not happy' policy. Buy a camera you like and pull it apart to try the hardwire mod. If it doesn't work, return the camera (but put it back together first!) Andy
Gadgetman is offline Find More Posts by Gadgetman