HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2006, 12:14 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,779 Posts
Discussion
Mountain Models J-3 Cub released

Brian Eberwein at Mountain Models has released his new 48" J-3 Cub kit. You can find a build thread of my beta here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566024

It's a very lightweight model. Flies in a very scale fashion. It's also very easy to build, and is of typical Mountain Models quality in terms of wood, hardware and laser cutting. It's a full kit, and Brian has put an $88 price tag on it.

Mark
buzzltyr is online now Find More Posts by buzzltyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2006, 11:34 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,157 Posts
I have my kit and I will say it is very nice. Could frame it up in a day. Nice MM/LA
balsa and cutting. Buzz, You have got some serious washout in your cub wings! Why so much?

Scott
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Dec 06, 2006, 06:10 AM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,779 Posts
Scott, I had finished assembling/covering/installing the graphics about midnight, the night before I left for NEAT (where I took the pics). I had not really done much in terms of setup for flight. The excessive washout was caused by the wingstruts. When I got back from NEAT, there was an email from Brian about the struts being too long, and to shorten them. This was an alpha kit, basically. Brian has changed/corrected a lot of issues since I built this one (and he built his first one). I reviewed the manual before Brian put it up for sale, and I was amazed at the number of changes and improvements he had made to the kit in the roughly two months since I built my kit.

That said, with some tweaking, even my alpha flies very well. With its light wing loading, it flies very scale, and has held up very well (I've probably got 25-30 flights on mine now). It's proven to be a very durable design, as I've had some rough landings and done some dumb things with it. My favorite things to do with the model are fly circuits 6-8 feet off the ground, and do touch and go's.

Enjoy the build, Scott, and the flying!

Mark
Old Dec 06, 2006, 11:09 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,157 Posts
Thanks for the comments Buzz! With the wing loading on this one I am sure it will fly great. This sure is one complete kit. You guys dont know what your missing. This airframe is pretty scale and could be scaled up even more with a little effort during the build. Brian even includes a allen wrench for the cap-head screws. This is one great value at only $88.00. I could not beleive it when I opened the kit.

Scott
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Dec 07, 2006, 11:29 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,292 Posts
Hi,
I noticed that the J3 has a GWS outrunner in the instructions. The shaft on my GWS motor is on the stationary side. What's a simple way to move it to the other side?
Thanks,
Ray
BTW Great kit!!
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Dec 07, 2006, 12:23 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,779 Posts
Scott, I agree. I know what Brian was putting into the kit for hardware, and there is no doubt that it is a great value.

Ray, the kit comes with three motor mounts: a stick mount, a short outrunner mount (for rear mounting outrunners) and a long outrunner mount (for front mount outrunners). I'm not sure what "staionary" means, but one of the outrunner mounts should work just fine. You might contact Brian directly, as he used the GWS in his prototype. FWIW, I'm using a 400XT, rear mounted on the short mount. It fit great.

Mark
Old Dec 09, 2006, 08:44 AM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk
I noticed that the J3 has a GWS outrunner in the instructions. The shaft on my GWS motor is on the stationary side. What's a simple way to move it to the other side?
Sorry for the delay, I just saw your question, oops!

The shaft is held in place by a set-screw on the "rotating side". You loosen the set screw, take out the shaft, turn it around, and re-tighten the set-screw. I don't think the first productions had a flat on the shaft to do this, so YMMV. You could always grind a new flat in the shaft where it needs to be, or order a replacement shaft. If you do a search, I know someone probably has pictures of it on here somewhere.

Brian
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Old Dec 09, 2006, 05:01 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,292 Posts
GWS Motor

Thanks Brian.
I removeed the set screws but was'nt able to move the shaft. I have the 2212/13 motor which is the MO3 vs the MO1 shown in the instructions. I'll keep playing with it.
Thanks again,
RAy
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:05 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,364 Posts
Try the GWS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk
Thanks Brian.
I removeed the set screws but was'nt able to move the shaft. I have the 2212/13 motor which is the MO3 vs the MO1 shown in the instructions. I'll keep playing with it.
Thanks again,
RAy
Scroll down to the Vendor forums and find the GWS forum. Somebody will have how-to advice.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old May 28, 2009, 02:00 AM
Joined May 2009
27 Posts
Motor?

Would the brushless 480 from a parkzone T28 fly this plane??
T28Trojanhead is offline Find More Posts by T28Trojanhead
Old May 28, 2009, 05:32 AM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,779 Posts
A 480 would be way too much motor for this model. Even though it has a 48" wingspan, it is light enough that you can fly it on any of the CDRom syle motors, or any of the smaller outrunners (about an ounce or so). 80-100 watts will fly it just fine.

Mark
Old May 28, 2009, 12:12 PM
Joined May 2009
27 Posts
Thanks!
T28Trojanhead is offline Find More Posts by T28Trojanhead
Old May 28, 2009, 01:06 PM
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,352 Posts
Another perfect motor for this plane is the Esskay 400XT.

--Doug
dk944s2 is offline Find More Posts by dk944s2