HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2006, 05:08 AM
Joined Sep 2006
608 Posts
Discussion
I want to learn how to slope soar. (I'm in Oak Park, CA off of Kanan Rd.)

Sometimes when I drive down Kanan Rd, one block before the high school, I see people walking up these steps with gliders.

I assume those steps lead to a slope soaring site, especially because people stop me at the park and ask me if I know anything about the people who fly gliders in that very same spot I see them walking towards.

So does anyone in Oak Park want to give me an hour worth of teaching and get me started slope soaring?

What is a good slope trainer? Do they even exist?

I don't think I have any planes that would be appropriate...

My hangar consists of a Multiplex Microjet, a ParkZone F27C Stryker, a GWS Slowstick, a GWS Formosa, a Cessna 182 (the glide ratio on this plane is horrible), and a Wing Dragon (mostly destroyed, I'd need to order a new horizontal stablizer).

So assuming none of those would be any good for slope soaring, what do I need to buy? Would a Multiplex Easy Glider Electric be appropriate? I'd prefer to get a powered model if possible. I'm happy to fork over the extra cash for brushless motors and lipos to keep it light.

If you're willing to teach me on one of your models but don't have a buddy box system I'll bring mine.

I can't tell you how much I'd appreciate someone helping me get started.

Also, just a warning... my flying skills are very minimal. I can do basic aerobatics but that's about it. My two most "advanced" plances are a Stryker and a Formosa.
The L is offline Find More Posts by The L
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2006, 07:41 AM
Glory to God
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Sep 2006
386 Posts
Hi the L, I am just up the 101 from you, but a bit far to commit to coming in person to help you. But here is some advice. I currently slope soar with a Multiplex EZ*. I bet you could slope soar your wing dragon. I have one of those also, but that's another story. If you need any parts for that, let me know I have some to sell, including horizontal stabilizers.

Anyway, while the wing dragon might not be a classic sloper (neither is my EZ*), it will work. My limited experience with slope soaring (and flying in general) is that the people that fly will be willing to help you. All you really need to fly is some wind in the right direction, and a slope. If you do use the wing dragon, you have the advanage of being able to use the motor to get you out of a jam, such as having to walk all the way down the hill to get your plane. I do it whenever I need to. So take your plane to where others are already soaring, and just launch it over the edge. If that is not comfortable, launch it over land, get some altitude, and then fly it over the edge and cut the engine. If the lift is right, your plane will soar without any power. What makes a plane fly is wind passing over the wings creating lift, and wind pushing up from underneath creating even more lift.

Or, just follow the path out and watch those who are sloping, and chat with them. More than likely they will want to help you. Just watching them slope is often nearly as much fun as flying yourself. Or if you don't mind driving up the coast, you can come up here some weekend and I can show you the little i know about sloping here in Santa Barbara. There are a few spots, some onthe ocean, some in the foothills, some on the mountain crest. Maybe by then I will have a real sloper, a WeaselPro. That plane has been recommended as a begining sloper my tons of people to me. You can find out more about it here the person who makes these kits lives here in Santa Barbara, and they are quite popular here.

Matt
mjswider is offline Find More Posts by mjswider
Old Dec 05, 2006, 07:56 AM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Welcome to your new addiction!

If you already have the basics of flying and orientation, you may not even need anyone to teach you. And while the Mpx Easy Glider is a great beginner sloper, you may get a bit bored with it quickly -- depending on how your "style" you begins to develop. It's mellow and flies well in light lift and it's tough. But it limits you in speed and aerobatics to some degree.

Motor? Hey, this is slopin'! You don't need no stinkin' motor! That's the beauty of it! You use lift for your "motor". Motors just break off when you, um, graze the slope. Without one you can attempt much more foolish maneuvers, which is part of the fun of it. With a bunch of cash stuck delicately to the front of your plane, you'll never let yourself do what you're there to do!

Once you find the folks who slope in your area, they'll be able to clue you in to the best planes for your conditions.

Good luck! Have fun!

--Greg
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
Old Dec 05, 2006, 08:07 AM
Glory to God
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Sep 2006
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavawing
Motor? Hey, this is slopin'! You don't need no stinkin' motor! That's the beauty of it! You use lift for your "motor". Motors just break off when you, um, graze the slope. Without one you can attempt much more foolish maneuvers, which is part of the fun of it. With a bunch of cash stuck delicately to the front of your plane, you'll never let yourself do what you're there to do!
Yeah, I only use the motor when I am in a tight spot, like to save me from a 10 minute walk because I did something foolish. Nor was I recommending an EasyStar as a beginning sloper, but it is what I have and it works fine for me. and the EZ* motor is behind the wing, so while the front end of my plane looks like trash, it still flies fine and the motor still works as new.

If you are going to buy something, follow Greg's advice and talk with the people where you will fly and they will have the best recommendations.

But I did just stumble across this from someone probably close to you, for $20 it seems hard to go wrong. But it may be a bit fragile to learn on.

Matt
Old Dec 05, 2006, 09:20 AM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjswider
Yeah, I only use the motor when I am in a tight spot, like to save me from a 10 minute walk because I did something foolish.
Matt
You might call it The Smite. Good exercise and you have some time to think about how to avoid that next time.
Quote:
Nor was I recommending an EasyStar as a beginning sloper, but it is what I have and it works fine for me. and the EZ* motor is behind the wing, so while the front end of my plane looks like trash, it still flies fine and the motor still works as new.
Matt
HA! I actually posted before I saw your post. I started sloping with an Easy Star. It's a much better choice for the task than the Easy Glider, as you said, because of that pusher motor. The Easy Glider is more versatile, I think, but better as a sloper without that motor, in my opinion.

Pardon me for not knowing CA geography. But if you're close to Santa Barbara, those guys do great with the Weasel Pro. Great, fun plane that works in light, steady wind (and more). And just about any ol' combat wing is going to give you good fun in a wide range of conditions, more speed, more aerobatics, tougher than either Easy, and you can purposely bash into your friends, which is great for skills.

--Greg
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
Old Dec 05, 2006, 09:32 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Easy Star is a great model for learning both slope and power all the way up to mild aerobatics with the appropriate brushless motor! They're rugged and quick to build/fix. If you want a pure sailplane with ailerons, try the Multiplex Easy Glider:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easyglidersail.htm

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Dec 05, 2006, 09:41 AM
Glory to God
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Sep 2006
386 Posts
Lavawing, your EZ* looks like mine, sans the lava rocks. BTW, I would have thought the CG would be too far forward in your "set up". Must be for pretty big wind huh? How do you keep the wings on, mine are pretty loose already. I have a couple of magnets that work but would need more if I had as much ballast as what you show.

OK, now I get it , lava weighs next to nothing, and no thinking person would use sharp rocks anyway. just for affect , haha.

I am getting a WeaselPro, but I'm not the one looking for the sloping advice, it was The L. Not that I can't use advice that's for shure
Old Dec 05, 2006, 09:47 AM
oak park ca
Joined Mar 2004
659 Posts
There are several of us living in Oak Park that fly slope, not all of us fly Kannan.
You are more than welcome to join us any time, just contact me and we can hook up.
Woody
WOODY1 is offline Find More Posts by WOODY1
Old Dec 05, 2006, 11:45 AM
__Jackass Savant__
United States, CA, Oxnard
Joined Feb 2005
2,505 Posts
Quote:
But I did just stumble across this from someone probably close to you, for $20 it seems hard to go wrong. But it may be a bit fragile to learn on.

Matt
Like lavawing said, he has been flying already. Since he doesn't need to learn how to fly, he just needs to learn to fly slope. With the mods I did to mine, it has a decent flight envelope "probably 8-20/25mph", and is a rather addictive plane regardless of the good price. Dave said he will be raising the introductory prices after the first of the year. If you can beef it up like mine, hand catch it, or land in grass then it's a good plane to start your addiction on. Plus it's just depron, so rebuilds dont break the bank.

But if you think you will drill it in, then the plane will get trashed quick.

Boz
theBOZman is offline Find More Posts by theBOZman
Old Dec 05, 2006, 02:30 PM
Diggin the Gliders
Flagstaff, AZ and San Diego, CA
Joined Nov 2006
73 Posts
Get a wing, thats what i learned/learning on. They're fun, can be crashed A Lot and are good for combat.

Cody
Rock4459 is offline Find More Posts by Rock4459
Old Dec 05, 2006, 02:50 PM
San Dimas, 40 km east of Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2002
1,344 Posts
I vote for Easy Star !.
I have a 3 or 4 years old ES. It is very rugged and being a pusher the prop is protected.
I still run on the original prop.
Here is another unusual suggestion; Slow Stick !.
I have sloped SS on the beach. Find your self a burm about 10 to 15 ft height (should be easy to find ). Hand launch or take off from the parking lot then try cruising the slope ( figure 8 but remember to always turn into the wind ) to get a fell of what an updraft will do.
Gradually throttle down the motor and eventually the wind will do all the flying.
The wing loading on SS is so low, you don't need a strong wind. Gentle breeze is prefered. As you master the gentle breeze, you can move to a higher slope and stronger wind.
Now it is time to switch to Weasel, EZ Glider, Wing Warrior Raider etc.
ktoey is offline Find More Posts by ktoey
Old Dec 05, 2006, 04:18 PM
Joined Jul 2006
347 Posts
Just one thing - don't use a lipo. There's been a few threads here on that, and the general consensus is that it's a bad idea. When flying slope, sooner or later, you _will_ stuff your plane headfirst into a rock. When that happens, you really don't want your lipo to burst into flames. Remember, you're flying at a windy site, usually covered with nice, dry shrubbery/grass, and you're upwind of potential crash sites.

Welcome to the addiction! You'll love it.
c.walker is offline Find More Posts by c.walker
Old Dec 05, 2006, 04:50 PM
Sayonara
Agoura Hills,CA
Joined Mar 2004
656 Posts
I live just down the street from you in Agoura Hills. As Woody pointed out, any of us in your area would be glad to give you a hand next time we're out. I personally don't fly Kanan much but since it's 3 minutes from my house I'd be willing to meet you there on a weekend afternoon...wind permitting

Drop me an email or PM next time you get the urge to give it a go.

John
JEB21 is offline Find More Posts by JEB21
Old Dec 05, 2006, 05:41 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,238 Posts
The onshores are asleep until April, and learning to slope on the Santa Ana side of Kanan may just convince you to take up needlepoint.
screamin' eagle is online now Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Dec 05, 2006, 05:51 PM
Sayonara
Agoura Hills,CA
Joined Mar 2004
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
The onshores are asleep until April, and learning to slope on the Santa Ana side of Kanan may just convince you to take up needlepoint.
Two needlepoint references in 24 hours! By the way I'm almost done with that pillow you wanted.
JEB21 is offline Find More Posts by JEB21