HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2006, 04:38 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Build Log
My new Electro Telemaster

I am nearly done with my Electro Telemaster. I still have to figure out how to mount the camera without having it hung off the side or under the fuse. The main thing I have done is convert the wing to a two-piece bolt on wing, and I think it will work fine without needing struts. I also went with HS-225 servos all around, should be plenty strong but I had to add small hardwood blocks because the servos are so much smaller than standard servos.

I epoxied bass wood center ribs to each wing have, then drilled a bunch of small holes through the rib into the wing root at different angles, and wood glued short pieces of a hardwood dowel into them. The wings bolt together with 3 nylon (3/8" i believe) bolts, and key into a doubler at the front of the wing. I reinforced the center ribs with carbon tow and laminate. The wing bolts to the fuse at the rear with two nylon bolts. I made a hardwood block with nylon nuts on the bottom side of it, and contoured the wood so that the center ribs fit very snugly against it even before tightening the bolts. For the wing joiner, I added some carbon strips to the top and bottom to snug up the fit in the joiner box, and epoxied it into one half.

I think this setup will be plenty strong, I put 15 pounds on the center section and saw no sign of flex or anything at the center, though the wing did start to flex out past the wing joiner. I think I could put 20 on the center section without a problem, though the wing may snap further out.

The modifications added less than 2 ounces to the wing weight. I have not weighed the stock dowels and rubberbands yet, but I really dont like rubberbands on big, pretty planes, and it gets really cold up here in Indiana.

I'll post more pics as I have more progress. Next up is to add an FMA Co-Pilot on a pylon above the wing, and camera mounting, though I will probably fly it before that takes place.

I am looking at 5 pounds, 1 oz ready to fly without any camera.

Thanks for reading,
Jonathan
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2006, 05:31 PM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
Looking good! That should make a great AP plane!

I'm interested to see what you come up with for a camera mount.

Brian
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old Dec 04, 2006, 06:07 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,582 Posts
Jonathan,

There was another thread about building the two piece wing. Do a search.

The main concern on that threaad was NOT the joiner itself, it is the receiver of the joiner. The general concerns was the box itself is strong enough to hold the joiner without gluing, i.e. the spar box might open up under load.

I also replace the joiner with a solid 3/8 aircraft plywood instead of the 3 liteply joiner ( I think that was what it made of, I could have mistaken that with other plane).

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Dec 04, 2006, 06:55 PM
De-Brushed user
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Thanks, wattsup.

bchan: I searched a few times a while back, but never found anything about an actual 2-piece wing, just people talking about doing it and the need for struts.

The joiner on mine is 3 plys of aircraft playwood, not liteply. That, with the CF reinforcement, and it should be the last thing to fail under flight loads. I will look into the box, it would not be too hard to reinforce with some FG cloth, though it would require recovering.

As I stated before, I have put 15 pounds directly over the center section. I supported the wing tips on chairs positioned about 6 inches inward from each tip, with no sign of overstressing. In flight it would be better supported, and if I do my part it would never see that kind of stress in the first place.

Jonathan
Old Dec 05, 2006, 12:16 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,582 Posts
Jonathan,

Forgot to mention it on my last post. First thing I did is dump the Zip tie and go with velcro.

Brian, an EAJ
Old Dec 05, 2006, 12:46 AM
De-Brushed user
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Already done I am a fan of velcro straps for securing batteries, with a little bit of sticky-back velcro to keep them from sliding.

I ran up the motor (AXI 2826/10) today with a 12/6 APC E prop, and was getting about 31 amps at full throttle, with what seemed like plenty of thrust, off of a 3s2100 TP pack. I think I will try that for just sport flying, should be fun at less than 5 pounds The motor is capable of alot more, will be adding another 3s pack.

What does EAJ stand for, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Dec 05, 2006, 01:02 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,582 Posts
Stated under my user name, electric airplane junkie I guess we all are, but I got first dib to it!!

I am using a NeuMotor 1912/1Y with a 14x9 prop on 3S4P TP Pro-lite. I use my TM to aerotow EZgliders. It is a blast.

See aero tow photos here and here .

Brian, an EAJ
Old Dec 05, 2006, 01:06 AM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
Brian,

Neu motors are supreme.

Motocalc says that motor would pull 68 amps in that setup, is this close to correct? That's like a tiny arc welder.....

Dave
DiveBombDave is offline Find More Posts by DiveBombDave
Old Dec 05, 2006, 01:13 AM
De-Brushed user
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
I am also a fan of Neu motors. I picked the 1509/1.5Y for my school AIAA design project last year and it is a beast. Alas, a bit out of my current price range.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:16 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
CAFplanekid,

Any updates? How did the TM work out for you?

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Feb 15, 2007, 12:45 AM
De-Brushed user
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
I never have time to fly, and when I do it is blowing snow

I did fly it for 2 flights, including some loops and dives, with no sign of stress or flex from the center joiner. But no video or photos from it yet.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 02:24 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Well that is unfortunate. Sorry to hear that. Looking forward to those pics and videos.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Jul 06, 2007, 11:31 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
I am looking to do a two piece wing on my TE. Do you have any photos of the wing halves prior to bolting? I would like to see how they are attached.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:36 PM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw