HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2002, 11:59 PM
www.dynamoelectrics.com
United States, TN, Collierville
Joined Sep 2001
261 Posts
Best Aerobatic/3D plane for a speed 400 size brushless?

The title says it all. I want a fully aerobatic plane, but I've never flown 3D. I might like to try it.

Let me hear your votes for your favorite speed 400 size plane. I plan on putting one of the Mega motors into it.

Thanks,
Chuck
squelchF18 is offline Find More Posts by squelchF18
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2002, 04:26 AM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
Chuck,

I'd say Wattage Crazy 8, but that's only based on my limited experience in aerobatic planes (Kyosho Flash is my only other). Nice looking plane with great finish - great job Wattage!

It's a great flier on 8x1300 CP cells and a brushless - I've tried Jeti 15/4 with APC 7x5. Good speed, thrust and duration - excellent climb but not vertical (probably with 8x6 prop).

Steve Horney has more experience with other brushless systems (Hacker?) in the Crazy 8 - check the threads for more info!

Enjoy!

/icebear
icebear is offline Find More Posts by icebear
Old Sep 09, 2002, 05:21 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
How about the Hobby Lobby Three Dee. QFEI magazine had a reveiw of this plane and they installed a brushless. Mini Laser 3D is another plane that comes to mind but its a kit while the Three Dee is an ARF. There is a thread about the Mini Laser 3D.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=50039

Of course the price of a 400 brushless motor is not much less than something like a Mega 22/20/2 that you could put in a E3D. It's a little larger, 48" ws, and you need 10 cells. I'm building one now. See my thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=56377

I've seen the Crazy 8 on a Jeti motor also. Good performance and it flew well. The pilot who was flying it was an expert, who normally flys a glow powered Magic and can hover it but he didn't perform any 3D stuff with the Crazy 8 so I'm assuming its not capable with that setup.

You can get into a e powered Magic from Mega Motors USA for around $400. Includes the ARF, motor and gearbox (Mega 22/20/2).

I'm assuming you want a S400 size since you fly in a park or school but if your a good pilot even a Magic or E3D can be kept in close and both can land on a dime.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Last edited by kelvin; Sep 09, 2002 at 05:46 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2002, 07:27 AM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
The Crazy 8 with brushless motor can fly 3D easily. My crazy 8 and my E3D turned into my favorite E-planes. I have a Aveox 1005/2y wiht a 3:1 gearbox on 10x800AR in mine and it hovers easy, almost has unlimited vertical, and flies 3D like with the works setup on the computer radio.
My Hacker B20 powered ML3D is also another good one to, but I like the Crazy 8 better!
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old Sep 09, 2002, 12:14 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,582 Posts
Hi Chuck,

Take a look at the Mountian Models Switchback. Look in the parkflyer section for a ton of info on this plane.

The designer is currently trying out a Mega 16/15/7 in his.

Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Sep 09, 2002, 12:24 PM
Palm Bay, FL, USA
Joined May 2001
1,236 Posts
Diablotin Micro

Try Diablotin Micro. It's balsa built up, no foam.
w:33"

modest-master is offline Find More Posts by modest-master
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 10, 2002, 12:32 AM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
As long as we can blow our own horn...I will put the Accord 2 against any of the above mentioned any day. Have flown the Cap 232, Extra 300, Diablotin (good design), but the Accord 2 has the right stuff.

BTW...good combo is the Mega 1615/4 on 2.5 to 1 geardrive and 11 x7 prop. you can use 600 mah Nicads with this combo for 31 ounces of thrust. I will be getting in the new 1300 mah NiMhd high output cells. Can put out like a 600 mah Nicad (maybe better) and in an 8 cell pack only weighs 1.5 ounce more than an 8 cell 600 mah Nicad.

Tomorrow I will give you a sneak peek at the new Vermont Belle. 1 meter and just as light as the Accord 2.

BTW...at the NEAT...I will be flying the Accord 2 with the new 3270 mah Lithium polymer packs. They weigh in at 6.7 ounces for equivalent of 9 cells and can put out over 15 amps. My flight times will be over 25 minutes!
sal is offline Find More Posts by sal
Old Sep 10, 2002, 07:41 AM
PUGZ RULE!
Joined Jun 2002
557 Posts
Yo Sal!

Off topic, can the 5T on a 1:2 drive do just about as much as the 4T on a 1:2.5 GB? When are you getting those Li-polys on your site?

Rgds, Juan
juantrinidad is offline Find More Posts by juantrinidad
Old Sep 10, 2002, 09:22 AM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
The 5T is not quite as good but it would be a good substitute. The 5T is better for larger props at 2.5 or 3 to 1. I will be putting the Lithium Polymers on site next week.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 10:41 AM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Another vote for the C8 - have flow the Accord and while it is lighter and possibly more capable, it is also fragile by the C8 standards.

Good luck with your choice - I think they will all fit the bill.

Steve McBride
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Sep 10, 2002, 11:43 AM
Palm Bay, FL, USA
Joined May 2001
1,236 Posts
New plane

Hi.
Sal I will beat you and it's goint to be sweet.
The new plane will be introduced at NEAT.

Zb/Esprit Model

modest-master is offline Find More Posts by modest-master
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:11 PM
Boise, ID 83703
Joined May 2001
266 Posts
Which Plane

Which plane are you going to beat him with? I can't make it to Neat Fair, keep those pictures coming. Let's have a showdown.
Tim Seidenstricker is offline Find More Posts by Tim Seidenstricker
Old Sep 10, 2002, 04:41 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
I'll preface this by saying that the only 3D airplane I've ever seen really go at it was Gary Wright's E3D- and the Speed 400 stuff I've seen isn't there. On the other hand, my piloting skills are very far from Gary Wright- and I'm not better.

I have both the Mini Laser 3D and the Hobby Hangar Edge 540- both powered by Mega 400 brushless motors. The ML3D is more maneuvrable, slower, and less accurate in maneuuvers. With slightly different batteries it could probably hover if you're good enough- I'm not and I discovered it doesn't matter. Really needs about 120 watts to hover- battery compartment somewhat limited or the Li-poly's might work. Easier to build. Gets thrown around in wind, but can be flown in a small field.

The Edge is a beautiful flying aerobat- good speed range and more accurate in maneuvers. Needs 150 watts to perform at 20-21 oz. on a 9 x 4.5 prop. I still can't really prop hang at that power level, but I hate gearboxes. This airplane is still beyond my capabilities (they probably both are to a certain extent.) The Edge can take anything you throw at it in the air- the ML3D is more delicate and with hover power can self destruct.

I like them both, but my Edge is getting a little beat up, and I'm considering replacing it with another. If the ML3D dies, I'll come up with something else. Both kits need some mods, not that hard. Still can't really knife either one of them- but that could be me.

However, as one poster pointed out- if you really want a 3D airplane, then the E3D is a good way to go.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Sep 10, 2002, 08:15 PM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
ZB! You make this fun! Hope you are going to dinner with us one of the nights!

Looking forward to seeing you are Neat!

Now for the pic of the Vermont Belle (41")
Old Sep 10, 2002, 09:10 PM
Cary, NC
Joined Jan 2002
334 Posts
Megowcoupe,

I have been debating whether to get a Hacker 20-15L with a 4:1 gearbox, or a Mega 16/15/ 7T or 8T for my ML3D.

My questions to you are:
- What Mega motor are you using?
- How much do you like the Mega motor in the ML3D?
- Have you had the opportunity to compare your Mega setup VS a Hacker setup?
- If you were in the market for a brushless motor for your ML3D would you get the Hacker setup or a Mega?

Thank you in advance,

Flying Cat
Flying Cat is offline Find More Posts by Flying Cat