HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2002, 06:32 PM
Holts Summit, Missouri
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
It was too windy to try ROG so I hand launched it yesterday...

Every wing I've hotwired had the same ridges in it you discribed. A little creative sanding goes along way...

I hope you can find a helper to cut the cores...
modelsjets is offline Find More Posts by modelsjets
Last edited by modelsjets; Oct 07, 2002 at 06:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2002, 11:01 PM
Joined Jan 2002
485 Posts
DANG!! I can barely make a manufactured plane stay up and under control and you guys are flying successfully with home-made 4 EDF'S?!?! C'mon, that isn't FAIR! If only somebody in my part of Indiana were doing that so I could go nib in! Keep up the great work, guys, and let us have those pics! And ROG with retracts??? You gotta be kiddin'! Glen Priest
Glennie is offline Find More Posts by Glennie
Old Oct 07, 2002, 11:44 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
I may end up using some type of filler and then sand. I think that would work well. Did it on an F-15 about 10 years ago and it came out nice.

Today I spent some $ on a band saw. It was either that or a digital camera, but I wanted this more. Radio gear (Hitec) is next, then a digital camera so I can post lots of pics here.
Hawker is offline Find More Posts by Hawker
Old Oct 08, 2002, 06:26 AM
Holts Summit, Missouri
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
Glen: My current plane has fixed gear although I've already purchased the retracts for my winters version...
Old Oct 08, 2002, 11:06 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2002
862 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if this is considered in the EDF-50 class?? Hobbyflite 747 with kp-44 ?? fans.
wilerbee is offline Find More Posts by wilerbee
Old Oct 08, 2002, 05:20 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
Wilerbee,

That's really nice! Does it ROG? How's the CG, too far aft? I see it looks like it's leaning against something under rear fuselage.

Good looking plane.

Btw, I hooked up 4 of my 6 EDF-50's today and ran them together. Sounds WAY cool
Old Oct 09, 2002, 06:17 AM
Holts Summit, Missouri
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
Wilerbee: That looks so cool!!! Is that the Hobbyflight 747 that's no longer produced??? I've never seen one but in the ads...
Old Oct 09, 2002, 12:20 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2002
862 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments. The plane has been finished for a few years but hasn't flown still !!! It was supposedly able to ROG but flight times are only 2.5 minutes. I think I wired it up wrong since the BEC of the ESC cuts in after 5 seconds of full throttle.
Since then I just left it aside. The plane is from hobbyflite. If any of you guys fancy some scratch building check out www.pjmodelclassics.be/ for the 747 plan. It is about the same size as mine, and if you built it out of foam it'll be light enough to fly with 4 edf 50 fans.

ps the plane has no battery in it so it it propped up at the rear. Hobbyflite recommends 7X 500 AR cells.
wilerbee is offline Find More Posts by wilerbee
Old Oct 09, 2002, 03:29 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
Are you willing to sell it? If so, let me know via a Prv Msg.
Old Oct 09, 2002, 04:09 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
I'm busy with my work this week but hopefully will make more progress this weekend with my projects. After I buy a Hitec system I need to find a decent cheap digital camera, then I'll post progress pics often!
Old Oct 10, 2002, 09:04 PM
Holts Summit, Missouri
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
Well the airliner bit the dust tonight when flying over by a couple of other modelers on the flightline... The plane just nosed down and the controls froze... It almost missiled strait down into a trainer taxing to take off... Missed it by 2 feet...

Now I've got to build one tomorrow night so I can test fly it before the Boeing Electric Meet in St. Louis this Sunday... I guess I'll get with it... I'm gunna start using dual conversion rx's on planes this high in performance...

Will post pics of the new one... It will have the nacells but the retracts will have to wait...
Old Oct 10, 2002, 09:06 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
Oh crap. Sorry to hear about that buddy. No good. Did the fans survive, and the other important parts?

Good luck with the new one.

Yeah, go with dual conversion on any plane. Not worth the risk otherwise!
Old Oct 11, 2002, 06:27 AM
Holts Summit, Missouri
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
The fans are amazing as they came through the crash OK.

The Kokam battery pack was mashed very badly. One solder tab was broke off one cell, although it was still producing voltage. I would have expected it to short internally and self distruct.

I would post a picture of it but another flier was interested in experimenting with the Kokams so I let him keep it...

All in all the crash probably cost $70 in plane and batteries... You can't stick any gas plane strait down into asphalt that hard and come out that good... Oh well the learning curve continues...

Got my nacelles and fans mounted last night.... (Worked till 1am) It would look a little better if I had more time to work on the plane. I must say the nacelles make the wings look much better then the bare fan units... I'm still considering this one a test plane and a better prettier version will ultimatly replace it...
Old Oct 11, 2002, 04:56 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
Are the nacelles glued directly to the wing, or did you go for a more realistic appearance and include engine pylons for them to mount on?

That's how mine will be when finished. Can't wait to get these guys in the air.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 10:35 PM
Holts Summit, Missouri
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
Pylons would have been nice, but with the closeness of the hour I opted for the quick and dirty... Their mounted directly. I have finished the 707-mark2.... I can't wait to test fly it in the morning before the winds get high by afternoon.... Too bad I had to revert to the nimhs for power.... I'll opt for more kokams after payday...

Here's the picture...