HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2002, 12:08 PM
Toyota RAV4-EV !!
Sacramento, CA
Joined Apr 2002
308 Posts
aileron link Q and EDF-50 nacelle kit

Hey Mike,

It looks like your your A-10 has a single servo for the ailerons in the center of the fuse--sweet! What do you use for control rods to run them out the wing and bend 90 deg to the horns?

And can you describe how you formed the Bluecor into such a nice rounded fuse?

Perry @ Aero Micro has posted new pics on another thread, showing vacuum formed nacelle as well as the inlet & cones. Now I'm really drooling for how soon the first ones will be in stock!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=edf50+A10

Thanks,
Mark
EpowerFan is offline Find More Posts by EpowerFan
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2002, 12:27 PM
AeroMicro
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Sep 2001
713 Posts
Hello AirMark:

They shall be available by the end of next week for less than $6.00/kit.

Perry

AeroMicro
Source of Electric RC Supplies
http://www.aeromicro.com
GoEFlight is offline Find More Posts by GoEFlight
Old Sep 19, 2002, 05:59 PM
Holts Summit, Missouri
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
Cool

GOEFLIGHT: I bought another glider and it's gonna look alot better with authentic looking engine pods...

Are pods for the EDF-75's next?

I'm working on fixed gear for my prototype one now... If only those Kokam batteries were available...
modelsjets is offline Find More Posts by modelsjets
Old Sep 27, 2002, 04:34 PM
AeroMicro
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Sep 2001
713 Posts
The jet will look great with Nacelles (4.0 g) at $5.95/set, please click the follwoign URL.

http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/aer...g__1554297.htm

This kit includes a set of uncut Inlet Ring, Tail Cone, and Nacelle. The weight of finished Nacell is 4.0 g and quantity is limited.

Thanks.

Perry

AeroMicro
Source of Electric RC Supplies
http://www.aeromicro.com
GoEFlight is offline Find More Posts by GoEFlight
Old Oct 04, 2002, 11:11 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
This Monday or Tuesday I'll have a total of 6 EDF-50's, 4 of the nacelles seen above (will get 2 more if my C-5 flys well - for the AN-225), and am picking up lots of white foam and some blue foam tomorrow! My plan is to have the EDF's interchangeable between my various mult-engine planes. Unplug from one wing and plug into another one. Will be 4 fans running in parallel with a GWS ICS 400 ESC and 7 or 8 1100 NimH batteries. Going to try to keep AUW under 24 ozs.

Can't wait to get my planes built. I'll post some pics of the progress here. Should be very cool.
Hawker is offline Find More Posts by Hawker
Last edited by Hawker; Oct 04, 2002 at 11:15 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2002, 11:12 AM
Holts Summit, Missouri
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
Hawker: Sounds like a good plan... I've been flying the 707 on 8 nimhs and it has excess power... Your jets flying with six are going to have power to spare... My flight times are 5min with 4 fans turning 100%... With six you might get only 3min with 1100ma nimhs turning 100%...

I modified my test bird with landing gear and Li-poly 3200 cells last night... I'll probably test fly it today... The Li-poly's weigh roughly the same as the 1100 nimhs...

I'll go down and try to measure the thrust of both combinations today and I'll get back with the numbers...

I can't wait to see your C-5 and AN-225....
Old Oct 05, 2002, 11:16 AM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
Thanks, me too! I look forward to getting these things started. My foam plan isn't going to well however. I was going to pick up lots of foam at a Home Depot near here, but just called and they were out! So now I'm searching other locations up to 1 hour away.

I'll keep you posted. And thanks for sharing the battery pack information! Cool
Old Oct 05, 2002, 01:37 PM
Holts Summit, Missouri
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
I'm estimating that the 4-EDF-50's together is putting out 12+oz of thrust... It's an estimate as the scale was regestering out of its range... It did sound very strong so it should fly well...
Old Oct 05, 2002, 05:11 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
I'm back. Went to a local Lowes and they had 2" x 4' x 8' sheets of Dow Blue Styrofoam. I bought 4 sheets. Along the way there was a Big Lots and I was able to pick up 4 packs of those Panasonic 1700 NiMHs at $4.99 each. What a great deal! So now I'll make up 2 flight packs with them, I just hope they aren't too much for the small motors. If they are I'll save them for the next project when I need more power.

As I'm all setup to start on my AN-225 (templates are all ready to go) I'll do it first. Then the C-5. I don't have a digital camera so I'll have to borrow a friends or something. But I'll keep everyone posted.

I'm psyched to get this thing going!!!
Old Oct 05, 2002, 07:10 PM
Holts Summit, Missouri
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
We're all psyched to see it in development!!!

I flew the 707 again today with the 2cell 3200ma Kokam pack today and it flew great! It would still climb at 60% power... I flew it 6min and had power to spare... The 8cell 1100 nimh pack would start to run out of gas at 4 min and I would allways land it before 5mins... (My calculated draw for the nimh setup was 6mins).

I'm going to increace the flight time 1 minute at a time. That way I can check the motors after every flight and also give the batteries a chance to come in before really drawing it down...

The motors were only a little warmer than ambient. I think extended flights are possible without hurting the fans...

I'm going to build one with nacelled fans and retracts this winter now I've got the bugs ironed out of it...
Old Oct 05, 2002, 08:02 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
Cool! That sounds decent. I'm thinking for the AN-225 that I may just have 2 dummy fans and 4 working ones, that way I won't end up with say a 3 minute flight time. That wouldn't be fun.

I ran into a show stopper tonight. I'm using a wire called "non-tarnishing silver" that flower shops use. Don't use it! It really sucks and almost smoked my whole setup since I had to crank the dial to about 85% before the thing would cut foam. My transformer was getting much too hot. The instructions that came with it said "if it gets very very hot something isn't right. Start by trying a lower gauge wire that is preferably nichrome." So tomorrow I'm going to buy some guitar strings (very thin and better material) and should be in business. I have to work on my templates some anyways tonight so tomorrow should really be a great progress day for me. Again, I'll keep everyone posted.

BTW where did you buy your Kokams from, and for how much?
Last edited by Hawker; Oct 05, 2002 at 08:49 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2002, 07:11 PM
Holts Summit, Missouri
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
I put in only one flight today due to high winds at the field. The total flight time at full throttle was 7minutes. The motors were still turning strong at the end of the flight and were only warmer than ambient temperature (70degs). The same was true for the 2cell 3270 kokam pack. The nimh pack I used to fly the plane with was usually hot enough that it smelled... Since all was well this time around I'll go to 8minutes next time...

The kokams started at 8.1volts and ended up at 7.5volts at the end....

Hawker: I got my cells from

www.fmadirect.com I believe they cost $27.50/cell...

I'm using a homemade charger and will post information on how to build it if it continues to work well. I want to try it with other cell combinations before recomending it to anyone...
Old Oct 06, 2002, 08:56 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
Cool, Kokams sound like a good idea, nice and light. 7 min's is great for 4 fans, especially at full throttle! Wow. Will it ROG? If I can fly my planes and do rolling takeoffs and touch and goes I'll be in hog heaven!

Well, I picked up some nichrome wire (guitar strings) today and it cuts decent. Now my problem is I need an assistant to help me with the other end of the foam when cutting! I'll either get my wife to help out, or one of my friends from work. These planes will get done, I'm determined to see them all through.
Last edited by Hawker; Oct 06, 2002 at 09:01 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2002, 09:32 PM
Holts Summit, Missouri
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
I mounted the mains a little too close to the cg and the plane tends to bobble. I did that thinking that having little weight on the nose would allow the rudder to ground steer the plane and let it get off easily. The fact is without a steerable nose gear the rudder is not really in the fan wash so I doesn't ground steer at all...

The bright side is that I'm no longer sliding in on the fans anymore and it looks cool touching down on the mains first...

Glad to here that the guitar strings are working... What brand are you using... I use Gibson strings on my gutiars and it would be nice to recycle them...

For small cuts I have a bow cutter made for the Model train market... (Can't remember the brand). It has a wall wart, is hand held and has push button operation... Now I need to get a high wattage soldering gun...

Remember we want progress pictures!!!
Old Oct 07, 2002, 12:53 AM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
So it does ROG then? Wow, that's encouraging!

I bought Mark II light elec guitar strings. They seem to work fine. I can even crank the power to full and now the transformer stays cool to the touch. Not even warm now, so that's great.

Well, on my lap right now are three pieces of the right center fuselage taped together of the AN-225. I weighed it and the blue foam doesn't even budge a normal bathroom scale! Pretty cool I think. After seeing this thing fly in my mind for the past several weeks it's great to finally see it taking shape. I really do need a helper for cutting the foam though because it's just nearly impossible alone. The fuselage has many unsightly grooves in it, so more or less I'll consider this plane prototype #1 and the next one will be much much nicer. Maybe with a paper covering method I can get it to look perfect, we'll see. I have 2 bottles of Aileens standing by.

When I have more to show I'll get some pics posted. Right now it's not much to look at.