HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2002, 08:39 PM
Holts Summit, Missouri
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
4engine EDF50 Styrojet 707

I threw together a EDF-50 powered Styrojet for the Ozark Jets meet at Sullivan MO this weekend. I have 6 flights on it now and I flys great. It's flys much faster than my twin IPS drive 757 and sounds increadable with the 4 fans turning in the background.

The 707 got many good comments from the Gas-Turbine flyers on the flight line.

Fans: 4- GWS EDF-50
ESC: Castle Creations 20amp
RX and Servos: GWS Pico
Battery: 8cell 1100ma Nimh
Weight: 17oz

I sanded off the fake foam nacells from the glider wings and made nacells for the EDFs from blue fan fold.

The fanfold nacells looked good but didn't tolerate landings well, so I just epoxied the EDFs directly to the wings. This worked OK but the epoxy doesn't adhere all that well to nylon EDF's. After each flight I have to reattach at least one after every flight, but what the heck, it's a testbead for a better one.

I intend on a better engine attachment and am planning on adding landing gear.
modelsjets is offline Find More Posts by modelsjets
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2002, 08:48 PM
Holts Summit, Missouri
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
I flys so well that I do most of my flying between 1/2-3/4 throttle. I think it would fly nicely on 7cells and would be much easier on the motors too... I'm going to try it with Lithium Polys when their available.

Another pic...
Old Sep 08, 2002, 09:25 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
That's very cool!

Is that a Wal-Mart special? How are the motors wired? I have yet to find one of those in Delaware. I'd love to make one of those to mess around with while I work on my C-5A and AN-225 Myria. Many projects in the pipeline after these two.

Thanks.
Hawker is offline Find More Posts by Hawker
Last edited by Hawker; Sep 08, 2002 at 09:27 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2002, 09:40 PM
Edmonton, AB
Joined Feb 2002
261 Posts
I have the same plane but I mounted the nacels to the wing with 2 pieces of lego. I think it will work realy well. plus if they have to come off they do. I will post some pics when my camera battery is charged if you would like.
Paco1001 is offline Find More Posts by Paco1001
Old Sep 09, 2002, 12:47 AM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
I had that very same jet. I had done about 3 hours of work on mine when my wife stepped right on it just after i took some pics of it on the floor. I had split the fuselage and hollowed, installed twin EDF 50's and installed carbon rods for the landing gear. Oh well i have another still in the bag but I build an A10 already so the 707 will have to wait. By the way was your fuselage bents to the right? not that it would matter but mine has bent a good bit

Mike
Mike Hall is offline Find More Posts by Mike Hall
Old Sep 09, 2002, 06:36 AM
Holts Summit, Missouri
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
Hawker: I bought mine at the local Hobby Lobby craft store, it cost me $6.99. I did build one from a wally sky rider but the wings was too flimsy for my liking...

Paco1001: Yes I would like to see your jet, Lego's you say, Sounds interesting... I'd have never thought of that...

Mike Hall: That's too bad about your Airliner... It's really bad when I dosen't get the chance to hit the air onced...
The fuse that I mad the 707 out of did have a slight bend one way or the other, but is noticable only when bore-siting it head-on. I may try the carbon fiber rod thing for the LG too, it seems as a good idea, a very light weight one. I would like to keep the 707 as light a possible as it flys really well without additional reinforcement of the wings-fuse. On my next one I'm going to increase the rudder size... It's already bigger than the one molded into the foam, I've got all the rudder I can dial into it and it could use a little more when it's windy although it's very controlable now...

Your A10 thread had me drooling...
Old Sep 09, 2002, 08:57 AM
Edmonton, AB
Joined Feb 2002
261 Posts
Here is 1.
Old Sep 09, 2002, 08:58 AM
Edmonton, AB
Joined Feb 2002
261 Posts
This is the other.
Old Sep 09, 2002, 10:17 AM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Oct 2001
3,502 Posts
Thats pretty darn cool modelsjets.

I bet it does sound pretty darn cool with the 4 fans roaring!
Is there anyway you could post some in flight video?

-Miie
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Sep 09, 2002, 10:25 AM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
Yeah, i bet four fans sound awesome. I know my two fans sound awesome so two more will have to sound better . By the way at full throttle is there some rattling in the fans? I seem to have a bad rattle when the fan is at full throttle but i cant find anything wrong with it.

Mike
Old Sep 09, 2002, 11:03 AM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
Imagine 6 of them! I'm doing a 50" span AN-225 Myria that should be really cool. The fan size is perfect! I'll post pics as soon as it's underway. Still aquiring all the parts - fans - electronics.
Hawker is offline Find More Posts by Hawker
Old Sep 09, 2002, 11:42 AM
Toyota RAV4-EV !!
Sacramento, CA
Joined Apr 2002
308 Posts
EDF-50 rattle

Mike,
I had the same problem with the EDF-50s, then I found this How To article: http://www.aeromicro.com/DennisDeFevere_EDF50_Rotor.htm

After I balanced the rotors, no rattle. Another great How-To article on these fans is about inlet & exhaust mods that increase thrust.
http://www.aeromicro.com/dennisdefevere_EDF50.htm

I found it a bear to make the inlet ring & exhaust cones from foam-- but AeroMicro will soon offer a vacuum formed kit of these that weighs almost nothing.

Got any pics of your A-10 with all the gear installed?

Mark
EpowerFan is offline Find More Posts by EpowerFan
Old Sep 09, 2002, 11:49 AM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
Thanks for the tips AirMark. here is a pic of the A10 on the gear.

Mike
Old Sep 09, 2002, 09:33 PM
Holts Summit, Missouri
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
Paco: Keep us posted on how the lego-motor-pylons work out on the finished product, Pluging a fan back into place beats glueing it everytime... Those nacells of your's looks top knotch too...

KSU: I'll have to work on some video, is there a place in the forum to post video? Also, your MIG is Awesom... When's the kit available? Is there any E-events around Kansas City you might attend? If so we'll have to visit...

Mike Hall: I've not noticed any rattles, but I've been totaly mesmerized by the sound of the 707 to notice... Next time I fire it up I'll pay more attention... Every time I see that A-10 I can hear Wagner playing in the background... I've got the GWS one on backorder at the LHS.

Hawker: Six of these baby's running would be too cool... The turbine guys at the Jet meet Saturday really took notice when they heard 4 of them... I've been playing around with my first bale of blue fan fold foam and IF I get as good a some of the guys on this forum with it I would like to try a B-52 one of these days...

Airmark: Thanks for the tips. Do you have a guess on how soon till Aeromicro has the rings and cones?
Old Sep 10, 2002, 12:07 AM
Toyota RAV4-EV !!
Sacramento, CA
Joined Apr 2002
308 Posts
vacuum formed mod kit for EDF-50

Modeljets,
I'd guess the kits will be sold by Aero Micro in the next few months-- maybe sooner. He posted a thread on it with pics of the first ones:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...f50+inlet+cone

I'm excited about it because I know the molds were from high precision machined metal, and he is truly an A++ supplier. Great pricing, and I'm lucky to be in N. CA also--I usually get stuff I order the next day.

Mike,
Great picture of your A-10 w/ gear. I marvell at how you built it so light, and the bluecor fuse looks xlnt!
EpowerFan is offline Find More Posts by EpowerFan