HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2006, 04:04 PM
Retired Engineer
St. Augustine, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
968 Posts
Discussion
Good Field Box for Electric Aircraft

Anyone seen a good field box for electrics. All the pre-made ones I see are for Gas planes with a strap on Fuel container. I want one that is dedicated to Electric Flight and has the Aircraft rests on the top.

Will probably have to make my own, any ideas for plans.

SWR
ShokWaveRider is offline Find More Posts by ShokWaveRider
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2006, 05:58 PM
AMA# 851123
Bailey, CO
Joined Apr 2006
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Anyone seen a good field box for electrics. All the pre-made ones I see are for Gas planes with a strap on Fuel container. I want one that is dedicated to Electric Flight and has the Aircraft rests on the top.

Will probably have to make my own, any ideas for plans.

SWR
There are a few electric flight boxes available. Goldberg and Great Planes make electric flight boxes. I have never liked having a cradle on the box. The cradle always seems to get in my way. Here is the Great Planes Electifly box:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJBU2

Goldberg makes a mini cradle.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLGS1&P=0

I have a enormous SIG Field Boss for my glow planes.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMUM1&P=9

However, for my electrics I use a small Black & Decker plastic tool box. Electrics don't require fuel and fuel pump, starter or other bulky items.

Here is a link to field box plan:

http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/

Look under Plans & Drawings. This is a plan for a glow field box. However, it could give you some ideas on how to construct what you want.

Thanks, Bruce
brucea is offline Find More Posts by brucea
Old Dec 04, 2006, 10:08 AM
Green Horn
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2005
75 Posts
At the risk of being a smart a#$ the bed of truck works great. Really dont go crazy the above mentioned tool box and or tackle box works great for e-flight. I'm using a plano tackle box left over from my rc car racing days.
Joe S.
typhoon036 is offline Find More Posts by typhoon036
Old Dec 04, 2006, 10:31 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
I knocked out this box in a couple of hours. The empty space is for my transmitter. ( On a charger now.) The rest of the spaces are for a battery cooler which uses a 12 volt fan from Radio Shack, meter, charging ascessories, chargers and batteries. The two drawers contain tools and spare parts. It is a little bit bigger than I would like and heavier. Next time I would use lighter plywood and make it a bit smaller.

If you built something like this you could incororate an aircraft cradle without any problem.

A lot of the guys I fly with use plastic tackle boxes and one even uses a makeshift cardbord box. I like something a bit more substantial and one that will hold my transmitter.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Dec 04, 2006, 11:50 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
I went to Lowes and bought a metal case (looks like a brief case) that has a foam insert in it for tools. I cut the foam out in the shape of my TX and my lipos... now they travel nicely without damage in the trunk. I use a small plastic tool box as my field repair kit... CA, tools, buddy cord, Xacto knives, packing tape, charger, etc go in it and I leave it in the car unless I need it. Both are inexpensive and work very well. I have to give crdeit for the metal case to the guys I fly with... they had them first. The case runs about $20 and has double latches on the front.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Dec 04, 2006, 06:34 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,000 Posts
I use a 24x24 foot garage as my flight box. Everything I could possibly need is in there. Oh, guess it helps that I fly in my backyard, hehe.

Actually, I have 3 plastic toolboxes that has been collecting dust since I started collecting more and more tools and now have a roll cabinet type toolbox. So, I just toss some stuff in one of those. I only have an Aerobird, so there isn't much I need in a flightbox anyways. Just the charger, some bamboo skewers, some packaging tape, and spare stuff like wing rubberbands, control horns, prop, stuff like that. But I've actually have only once flown anywhere other than the back yard, and that was the first day I got it.
mrodgers is online now Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Dec 04, 2006, 06:37 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
mrodgers, how many flights do you have on your aerobird?
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Dec 04, 2006, 09:33 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
I use a tackle box as a field box...

I bought one of the big nice ones from walmart.. it's got all the bells and whistles..

Jeff
www.commonsenserc.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Dec 05, 2006, 03:52 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,050 Posts
I have one of these:
2-Sided 46 Compartment Tool Small Parts Organizer
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gmm.0&MID=9876
Carries wing rods, spare servos/receivers, all kinds of parts, ballast rods, tools, watt meter, soldering iron, weights, pair of 2 way radios, flashlight, assortment of glues, assortment of tapes, ..... you name it and I bring it. I don't like to have anything keep me out of the air when I go flying

I have a separate bag for my 2 computer radios, spare transmitter/receiver packs, charger, neck straps, radio manual, club applictions, scarf, gloves, hat, heat packs and a bottle or two of water.

I keep a complete Aerobird package in the car all the time so I can fly whenever the mood strikes. However when I have a planned flying day I bring 3-4 planes, a sailpalne winch, a retriver, and two car batteries to drive he winch and the retriver.

And it all fits in a Ford Tauraus.

I was a boy scout. Be Prepared!
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 05, 2006, 06:12 AM
Retired Engineer
St. Augustine, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
968 Posts
Thanks for all the goos info. I like the case idea for TX and Batteries.

I will check out Home Depot and Walmart today.

SWR
ShokWaveRider is offline Find More Posts by ShokWaveRider
Old Dec 05, 2006, 06:17 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Arecer... thats the one.... I think I will pick up a second one for my backup TX.... I love the fact that its nearly indestructable and my TX's and lipo's are safe in them.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Dec 05, 2006, 09:37 AM
Green Horn
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2005
75 Posts
For a X-miter case I found a pistol case with like 3-4 inches of egg crate type foam all around for like $10.00 at a sporting goods store if cost is an issue. very easy to adapt to holding spare batteries and such.
Joe S.
typhoon036 is offline Find More Posts by typhoon036
Old Dec 05, 2006, 03:51 PM
AMA# 851123
Bailey, CO
Joined Apr 2006
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arecer
I'm with ATIS, check this at Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...132&lpage=none

Here is a picture of mine: