HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2006, 04:43 PM
Creve Coeur, IL
Joined Jun 2002
597 Posts
Discussion
ThunderTigers 9 tooth pinion in the 620 SE kit, sloppy fit on my Z50A-800

I got a Z50A-800 from Gary, I really don't like the fit of the 9 tooth TT pinion that comes in th kit on the Z50A shaft. It's a sloppy fit to me. When you tighten the two set screws down you get run out on the pinion. So when you set the backlash you have to turn the pinion to the tightest spot against the main gear and tighten the motor, then as you rotate the main gear the back lash gets loose in spots and is not a consistent feel, still in the acceptable range I guess but I may just be picky and don't like it. I sent G a PM and asked him how the mod 1 pinions he has for the Z50A and the 620 fits the the Z's shaft. He must be AWOL, he has not replied back. Anyway, is anyone experiencing the same problem I'm having? What motors are you using with the TT pinion? I'll get my caliper out and check the shaft O.D. and the I.D. of the pinion, I just haven't done it yet.

Rick
rickc is online now Find More Posts by rickc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2006, 04:51 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
When i get home i will check my TT pinions on some shafts
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Dec 03, 2006, 07:40 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
Will a Swift pinion work on a E-Raptor?
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Dec 03, 2006, 10:01 PM
Conroe, TX
Joined Jan 2006
583 Posts
The TT pinion is obviously not 5mm or it would fit the Z50 motor. If its suppose to be 5mm then you must have gotten a bad pinion. The 5mm pinions that Gary sends with the Z50s fit just fine, with no slop.

Stan
Stan Carter is offline Find More Posts by Stan Carter
Old Dec 03, 2006, 10:26 PM
Creve Coeur, IL
Joined Jun 2002
597 Posts
Here are the specs, The Z50A shaft o.d. measures. 4.97mm or 0.196 thousandths, the pinion i.d. measures 5.10mm or 0.201 thousandths. I wish it was just a bit closer in tolerances.
Clearence of .13mm or .005 thousandths.

Rick
Old Dec 04, 2006, 03:46 AM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
My TT pinion sucks. I tried it on the Z-power 50's i have laying around and its loose on all of them (too loose for my liking and i wont be using it).
Then i tried it on a few other 5mm shafted motors (ORK and Kontronic) all round too sloppy to be of much use.

I just grabbed a spare pinion i bought from tppacks a little while back and its as expected (great fit)
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Dec 04, 2006, 06:12 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
I tried the 10t pinion from a E550 kit and it does not fit any 5mm shaft either. I wonder what size of a shaft TT motors will have? I am using a Logo pinion and fits Z-Power and Neu Motors perfectly.

RC
Old Dec 04, 2006, 10:00 AM
Creve Coeur, IL
Joined Jun 2002
597 Posts
I placed an order last evening to Gary for a 9 tooth and a 10 tooth pinion for my Z50A/E620, he said they would go out today. I'll check them when they arrive for fit and change to what ever it better. I think TT will get a grip on the I.D. being over sized. Thanks for the replies...

Rick
Old Dec 04, 2006, 11:41 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
I got a pinion from Gary last week and itís a good fit to a 5mm shaft. I was a little surprised that it was an aluminum gear and not steel like the Logo gears. Only time will tell whether or not they will hold up in flight.

RC
Old Dec 04, 2006, 12:24 PM
Creve Coeur, IL
Joined Jun 2002
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
I tried the 10t pinion from a E550 kit and it does not fit any 5mm shaft either. I wonder what size of a shaft TT motors will have? I am using a Logo pinion and fits Z-Power and Neu Motors perfectly.

RC
I dull tool will cause the bore to run oversize, I would bet the specs are right for the pinion vs. shaft, just poor tooling.

Rick
Old Dec 04, 2006, 12:29 PM
Creve Coeur, IL
Joined Jun 2002
597 Posts
Quote:
I got a pinion from Gary last week and itís a good fit to a 5mm shaft. I was a little surprised that it was an aluminum gear and not steel like the Logo gears. Only time will tell whether or not they will hold up in flight.

RC
If the aluminum starts to wear or wear the main gear I'll place an order with fxaeromodels for a Mikado, if I knew last evening they were aluminum I may have ordered the Mikados right off. Only 2.95 difference in price for the steel.
I believe Gary would not sell something he didn't have faith in or would not use himself. As you said, time will tell.

Rick
Old Dec 04, 2006, 04:58 PM
Miami Fl/Santo.Dgo.
Joined Jun 2004
719 Posts
I'm going to check the stock one tonight and I hope It fits good cuz the One I got from Gary is Crap and aluminium???

Look at this.
epc2 is offline Find More Posts by epc2
Old Dec 04, 2006, 06:37 PM
Creve Coeur, IL
Joined Jun 2002
597 Posts
Quote:

RC
What is the part number for the Logo pinion, I seen a Mod one 9 tooth #M2509 and a 10 T Mod one #M2510. From the pics I can't tell if the pinion teeth are as tall as the TT main gear to get 100% contact.

What's Module One stand for, is it the pitch of the teeth?

Thanks

Rick
Old Dec 04, 2006, 07:20 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc
What is the part number for the Logo pinion, I seen a Mod one 9 tooth #M2509 and a 10 T Mod one #M2510. From the pics I can't tell if the pinion teeth are as tall as the TT main gear to get 100% contact.

What's Module One stand for, is it the pitch of the teeth?

Thanks

Rick
They make full contact with the new 111t gear. They only make about 95% contact with a Raptor 90 (91, 93, 94, 95t) gears.

Module 1 is the metric tern for teeth spacing. Mod 1 has a 1mm tooth spacing; Mod 0.7 has a 0.7mm tooth spacing.

RC
Old Dec 04, 2006, 08:03 PM
Miami Fl/Santo.Dgo.
Joined Jun 2004
719 Posts
Update,

I tried the TT and it's a loose non acceptable fit;The one from Gary doesn't work either cuz you can't make a good contact unless you put some spacers between the plate and motor(pinion needs to be shorter).

I think Gary doesn't know this but his pinions won't work with the TT 111 Main Gear.

I'm going to order the Mikado and be done with it.

epc2.
epc2 is offline Find More Posts by epc2