SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2006, 09:07 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Build Log
Micro AH-64 Apache

Heres another project underway. Basic fuselage assembly is by gluing fuselage halves together. Windows can be cutout and left out or clear plastic can be installed for the windshields.
Engine nacelles: cut and trim and glue tops and bottoms.
Actually assembly is pretty much straight forward.
Weapon wings, the bottoms are lapped into the tops.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2006, 09:29 PM
toledo ohio
Joined Jun 2006
526 Posts
Nice job

Darth,
Lookin good! The Apache is a real pain to get right because it's so narrow.
I still can't pull styrene to save my life.

Mike
madmike43613 is offline Find More Posts by madmike43613
Old Dec 02, 2006, 09:56 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Heres my Chassis. It needs some cleaning up as far as routing wires. The Gyro is going to be mounted on the plywood plate under the main gear slightly to the rear. Note the super skids mounts, they are a must i think with a project like this. Also you will note that this is a brushless HDX300 motor. I have already tested this platform and it works excellent for the apache. The reciever comes out of a blown 4-1 unit (friend something on the board) but the reciever works fine. I flew this chassis on prototype Apache #1.
The stock tailboom is chopped off. Notice the stub. I also have a brass coupling in case I want to reattach the stock tailboom.
Landing gear: Homemade of course and they are held on with plastic ties (Got that idea from the Corona)

I'll be posting pics of the tailrotor and boom soon. I use a hot glue gun to mount the tailmotor housing to the tailfin. It works great. Im putting the tailrotor on the correct side this time and in doing so Im going with a Hummingbird elite tail balde which has dual mounts on the rotorblades to be used with either left or right side counter torquing. (spelling?)
Old Dec 03, 2006, 09:47 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
The Gun

Made from plastic cut and glued together. The barrel is from a plastic q-tip cut the ends off. and the flash suppressor is clear tape cut to 1/4" width and wrapped on the end.
Mine, I made so that it can turn.
Last edited by darthdrk; Dec 03, 2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2006, 10:29 AM
Joined Nov 2006
82 Posts
man, nice job, that was my favorite heli as a teenager. is the body easily removable for painting?
stellar is offline Find More Posts by stellar
Old Dec 03, 2006, 12:28 PM
Aberdeen,Scotland, UK
Joined Jun 2005
1,309 Posts
When can my 3D Pro Hummingbird have one of those?,maybe in time for xmas? .
McDanger is offline Find More Posts by McDanger
Old Dec 04, 2006, 07:47 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Gyro in place. Looks pretty cramped but it actually works fine.
Old Dec 04, 2006, 07:57 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
The apaches main body is screwed to the plywood bottom plate. The nose of the fuselage is all that is needed to remove to replace the battery. I can remove the entire fuselage in less than 30 seconds. reinstallation is just as quick.
Old Dec 04, 2006, 10:23 AM
Joined Nov 2006
82 Posts
use a couple of rare earth magnets and it'll be even quicker
Old Dec 04, 2006, 11:46 AM
Scale Builder, RCAPA #29
Lansdale, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,370 Posts
Ahh,... Darth, with the money I'm saving from not having a Trex but getting a Honeybee CP2 (with your Kiowa body) I'll have enough to buy another CP2 and this Apache body if you keep this up.

Great work,... looking forward to seeing more.
Rob Schaffer is offline Find More Posts by Rob Schaffer
Old Dec 04, 2006, 12:02 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Im liking the Micro helis like the honeybee and blade more and more because of its size and versatility. Im not crazy about 3d and the heli can be made to fly just fine. They dont really take up that much space theefore its easier to have many.
Old Dec 04, 2006, 12:16 PM
Joined Nov 2006
82 Posts
but will it still fly upside down o_0?
Old Dec 04, 2006, 01:05 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
flight of the Apache: Got in a couple of flights of the apache. although the prototype has been flown, this one is just a little different with the tailrotor on the correct side of the fin.
Personally heres my findings, The apache does fly and it flys fine and looks scale in flight. It started out really rough, I had to reverse my gyro and adjust my rudder trim. But after that it was pretty smooth. With the tailrotor on the side I have it, it works much harder than if I put it on the opposite side as in with prototype apache #1. I will be moving my tailrotor back over to the other side whereas the tailrotor wont have to work so hard. Besides that the only other issue I can find is that the battery Im using is inadequate. Its a 1300 MAH 3s Lipo but its one of the cheapy ones I bought a while back from Helidirect. If Im correct, it has a 8C rating, I dont think that is good enough for the brushless setup. I think I have a 15C rating somewhere here. what happens is the heli lifts off fine and flies fine but about 30-40 seconds into the flight, it starts to loose power and after I land and let it sit for a few seconds, it takes back off and flys fine and then does the same thing. Seems like the battery dont have enough as they say "ummph".
Old Dec 04, 2006, 02:40 PM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
Very Cool! I Want One! :d
beafraid8 is offline Find More Posts by beafraid8