HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2006, 06:40 PM
Joined Dec 2006
6 Posts
Discussion
Making a homemade RC Plane

Hello, I'm pretty new here, but I need some help. Recently a few friends and I have decided to make an RC plane for a little project and we are looking for help. We already have the motor and propellor sorted out, how it's going to work ect., we also have a plan for the actual chassis of the plane (it's going to be made out fo styrafome/is this a bad idea?) But we really have no clue on how to make it fly. I was reading allot about RC planes, the radios ect. But I have no clue on how to get the radio to control the plane. I was reading something about micro servos being planted in certain locations with piano strings attatched to them, but the guide was very vauge and I could not find anything else on the topic, so do any of you guys have an guides, or could tell me exactly how it all works and how to get it to work. We basicly just want to know how to use these 'servos' and a radio control to fly the plane. Also what kind of radio controller would we need, and would we need anything else for it?
Saden is offline Find More Posts by Saden
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2006, 08:21 PM
Souderton Pa.
Joined Dec 2004
695 Posts
Saden

Wow your asking someone to teach you rc in a neat and easy package. Anyway..............

Go to the nubie section and read all you can. If someone answers you questions you will only have more that are explained in the forum.

To start I would build the STC. Don't try to build your own design first. You need to get the feel for aircraft and building. If you check out the thread you will see a bunch of photos that show the locations for the equipment. Start with the plane first then get the power plant that will fit it. The locations for the onboard electrions are pretty much dictated by the cg or center of gravity. There is a way to calculate where that is on the fuse and is critical. That is one of the reasons to build a plane that is tested and you know flys well. There are a ton of em. Also start with a trainer or a very docile design. Your not goin to fly a performance plane right off the bat. It takes quite a bit of air time to learn how to fly.

The reason I say the STC is it is a great first plane and the thread has a build guide that takes you step by step through the building process. Even if you never built a plane before you can build this one by following the directions. The other benifit is the list has tons of info on the plane and as many people to help ya as you can imagine.

I hope this helps and good luck.
thumbs1 is offline Find More Posts by thumbs1
Old Dec 02, 2006, 09:24 PM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
If you're not going to buy an already completed plane to see how it is put together, it would help to find a local club, hobby shop, or at least someone local who flies RC and have them show you how everything is put together. It's really pretty straightforward.
anatoly is offline Find More Posts by anatoly
Old Dec 02, 2006, 09:40 PM
Joined Dec 2006
6 Posts
Ok thanks guys, I'm posting in the newbie section now and I'm going to my local hobby store tommorow, they have an RC meet and event there tommorow.
Saden is offline Find More Posts by Saden
Old Dec 03, 2006, 11:01 AM
Drunk Pilot
Minneapolis
Joined Aug 2003
215 Posts
Is money a problem? If not, get yourself a full flight pack. Maybe a GWS slow stick airplane kit and start there. They have the instructions on how to get it built and you can go from there. It's probably one of the easiest ways to do it. The guys at your Local Hobby Shop (LHS) can help you out in what you need. Buyer beware at the LHS though, they like to sell what they have. Not what is best for you.

Good luck
-Azeiku
Azeiku is offline Find More Posts by Azeiku