HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2001, 11:21 AM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
Finally got my Jas-Cam running off one flight pack

After moving the components around, I finally get a clean video transmission from my Jas-Cam setup with Panasonic-cam(5v), x10-Tx(8v) and the flight R/C propulsion/control all on the same flight pack. The side effect are as follows: The flight time is reduced from a cool 8 mins to 6 mins. At the R/C extreme range, I observed some servo interferences even with all that grounded-shields.

I am pretty happy so far,
Charles

jas_Qfix is offline Find More Posts by jas_Qfix
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2001, 03:02 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Excellent!

How are you powering the 5v camera from the flight pack, do you tap into 4 cells?

Post a link when you have a chance to put new video on your site.

Bill
yb2normal is offline Find More Posts by yb2normal
Old Jul 23, 2001, 03:25 PM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
Yb,
I ended up adding another seperated 5v voltage regulator just for the 5v pana-cam. I thought I have tried this many time but this setup sure clean-up video glitches.
Charles
Old Jul 23, 2001, 03:31 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
That was my plan also.. add a 5v voltage regulator. To avoid interference from the flight battery, I was going to tap off the 12v dc-to-dc converter and run that through the 5v regulator. Hopefully this will allow me to take advantage of the PT5041's wonderful filtering. My only worry is the heat that the regulator will generate (I'm using a 7805) because it has to dump so much voltage.
Old Jul 23, 2001, 03:47 PM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
Yb,

I have a big diode between the 12v out of the dc-dc and the 7805(1amp rated). I am thinking of putting a ferrite choke (?uH) or a 6-10 ohm (1w) resistor in series to cushion some of the heat. Lastly I might even put a white bright LED for night flying. If you want to burn away some energy, might as well burn it in the right place.

Charles
Old Jul 23, 2001, 03:56 PM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
Yb,

One more thing. My x10-Tx setup now has a 5pin connector with label 12v/A/V/5v/GND. This allows me to hook up pana-cam for higher video quality without sound or x10cam2 lower quality with sound. It is very flexible. I always carry both camera and use the x10cam2 as a backup in shows and presentations. I have another office picnic coming up this week and I hope to drop some jaws on some engineers who are actually in this field.

Have fun,
Charles
Old Jul 23, 2001, 05:07 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
I like your 5 pin connector idea. I have a small collection of camera's that would be nice if I could swap in and out easily. What kind of connector, and is it small/light?

I bought two of the panasonic camera's from supercircuits and am waiting for a couple parts for the 5v regulator so I can get it hooked up. Can't wait!

Lastly, take a look at the microphone from www.supercircuits.com (they only sell one). I have successfully attached it to the xcam2 transmitter so I get audio with my 'nice' camera.

Old Jul 23, 2001, 06:25 PM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
Yb,

Camera, Tx, servo and dc-dc connectors are cut-up gold-pin spring-loaded DIP sockets. Both female and male conns are cut-out and solder as needed. The only other cables that I use a bigger conns are the baterry connections and the RG174 coxial Ant cables.

Charles