Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 13, 2006, 06:18 PM
Joined Dec 2006
3 Posts
I have this same Olevia model - LT30HV with the same problem. When I turn on the TV I get the bright blue screen for a second or two and then it blanks out. I did talk to tech support (after waiting on hold for an hour). They said they do not sell the inverter boards separately from the panel, so if you want it replaced it will cost $500. According to them, the factory that produces the panel does not let them sell it separately. I had the TV for 17 months when it started having the problem. If you find a source for the inverter board, please post.

I certainly won't buy an Olevia-branded product again. Their parent company is Syntax-Brillian and is a publicly traded company on Nasdaq (BRLC). It's certainly not a stock I would own with the crap they are churning out and their absolutely terrible customer service.

Thanks.
hendercc is offline Find More Posts by hendercc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2006, 07:39 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendercc
I have this same Olevia model - LT30HV with the same problem. When I turn on the TV I get the bright blue screen for a second or two and then it blanks out. I did talk to tech support (after waiting on hold for an hour). They said they do not sell the inverter boards separately from the panel, so if you want it replaced it will cost $500. According to them, the factory that produces the panel does not let them sell it separately. I had the TV for 17 months when it started having the problem. If you find a source for the inverter board, please post.

I certainly won't buy an Olevia-branded product again. Their parent company is Syntax-Brillian and is a publicly traded company on Nasdaq (BRLC). It's certainly not a stock I would own with the crap they are churning out and their absolutely terrible customer service.

Thanks.

Although it's no consolation to those of us who own these units, I guess "˙ou get what you pay for" holds true in this case. I too tried tech support and gave up after half an hour on hold. I sent them an email (which they promise to answer within 24 hours) but of course heard nothing back. On the bright side, Thanh is getting his inverter repaired - we will see how that works out. I also found a source online which carries these new. Although not cheap, it's an option:

http://lcdpart.com/Products/v144.html

Syntax claiming they can't sell these is bs, it's a part made by a 3rd party (darfon) and used in a variety of lcd panels. They will just make more money if they do the repair. I think they've earned a little internet backlash. I would like to spread the word so to speak to teach them a lesson and to hopefully help them change their attitude toward their customers.

I've created a Yahoo Group for all us Olevia owners:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syntax_lcd

If anybody finds the inverters elsewhere for a better price, let us know.
Mike Kozlakowski is offline Find More Posts by Mike Kozlakowski
Last edited by Mike Kozlakowski; Dec 13, 2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:50 AM
just look at it smokin'
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
if this is a common problem, and there is no support for the 8x ccfl inverter board, or price is high, maeby it whould be worth for me to design a custom circuit with same dimensions, but better reliability ?
z-matrix is offline Find More Posts by z-matrix
Old Dec 14, 2006, 01:16 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendercc
...They said they do not sell the inverter boards separately from the panel, so if you want it replaced it will cost $500. According to them, the factory that produces the panel does not let them sell it separately. I had the TV for 17 months when it started having the problem. If you find a source for the inverter board, please post.

I certainly won't buy an Olevia-branded product again. ....
What a rip off. For $500 I can just spend a little more and get a brand new TV with bigger screen. Sending the TV back to manufacture is a real hassle if I had to do so. Certainly they don't want to fix it (judge from the repairing cost)

Thanh
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Dec 14, 2006, 01:19 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-matrix
if this is a common problem, and there is no support for the 8x ccfl inverter board, or price is high, maeby it whould be worth for me to design a custom circuit with same dimensions, but better reliability ?
Sound good! Will you be able to beat the $199 price?

When I was searching for the Olivia brand, I saw a few posts people complaining about its blank screen.

Funny thing is that so far 3 people on this board have their TV inverter board dying at similar age (around 2 years)

lcdrepair.net also offers similar service, don't know how well it works though.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 02:45 AM
just look at it smokin'
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran
Sound good! Will you be able to beat the $199 price?

When I was searching for the Olivia brand, I saw a few posts people complaining about its blank screen.

Funny thing is that so far 3 people on this board have their TV inverter board dying at similar age (around 2 years)

lcdrepair.net also offers similar service, don't know how well it works though.
well, yes i think it is possible,

i have some questions:
Is this inverter board is a kind of thing that your lcd tv can live without, replacing with a 8x ccfl driver solve the problem, or it has some built in software that does not let the tv work without the original inverter?
If so, then maeby leaving original driver in place and putting 8x ccfl driver to drive ccfls whould help.

Does the inverter board go at 100% brightness all the time?
Or the driver is controlled by the lcd tv adjusting brightness?
(it is possible to control brightness of a ccfl backlight using PWM)
What is the power rating of the ccfl lamps? i whould assume 4W each.
What isthe power supply voltage inside the lcd tv for the ccfl driver?

btw.: im good at beating prices, finding alternatives (sometimes for less than 50% of original, and better quality)

anyway i'm currently doing some brainteaser test while designing my UV tube driver - its not hard to make it work, but harder to make it glow at constant brightness at different power supply voltage levels - about the same as a ccfl driver, since it is an electronic inverter.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 02:13 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
The TV works fine with or without the inverter board connected to it. I did play with it by turning the TV on, it has sound, then I just unplug and plug in the cable that goes to the inverter board, the light would turn on for a moment and I could see picture during that time.

The TV does have brightness control which control the power of the light I believe. On TV control, it has 3 level of brightness. On the hardware side, it has some pins saying VEPWM & VIPWM (I would assume PWM control)

I have no idea what the power consumption of these CCFL tubes is. I have not exposed the tubes yet. I remember that the power supply can supply 24v@7A to the inverter board. I measured 24v on the Vcc to inverter board.

I called lcdrepair.net today. They have not had time working on my board yet. But they said my board is identical with the board in "Sceptre LCD TV". Looks like another proof that the manufacture was telling lie saying they cannot sell inverter board to us who has bought their products and had problem.

Thanh
Old Dec 15, 2006, 08:16 AM
just look at it smokin'
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
i see,

well i've gathered some information too, on cold cathode fluorescent backlights in notebooks,
there is a possibly pwm brightness control - that is not neccessery for the normal operation of the notebook, and a blanking input, that blanks the backlight, without this performance will decrease, and you will discover interesting things on screen.

i also took a look at a 2 ccfl backlight, i think i can put leds instead of them
blanking seems easy, pwm control will probably need a microcontroller.

i think 3,4, 5, 6, 7, 8 1w leds will do just fine in a notebook

(for 29.5cm the maximum led could could be 28x1w, -about the same optical output power as an 55w halogen car headlight bulb- this whould burn your eyes out so they should be dimmed )
Old Dec 15, 2006, 09:54 PM
Joined Dec 2006
3 Posts
I ordered the $200 replacement inverter board listed at http://www.lcdpart.com/Products/v144.html and received it today. Unfortunately, the Hansol HU26024W2B that they list as the replacement and what they shipped to me does not match the Darfon V144. I had also called lcdpart.com and they confirmed that the Hansol was a replacement for the Darfon. The output connectors are different (and wouldn't reach the existing connectors off the panel). There is only one input connector on the Hansol vs. two on the Darfon and the mounting holes are in different locations. A picture of the Hansol is here... http://lcdpart.com/Products/hu26024w2b.html. I sent lcdpart.com an email asking if the cross-reference to the Hansol is a mistake. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 09:46 AM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Sorry the PCB didn't work out. See why we tv techs HATE this stuff? Try and run a business with vendor support like this.
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Jan 07, 2007, 07:37 PM
Joined Dec 2006
3 Posts
Success! I RMA'd the Hansol board with www.lcdpart.com and after some delay (they were shut down for a week during the holidays), they shipped me a replacement Darfon v144 board. This is an actual Darfon board. lcpart.com has also updated their web site to reference the actual Darfon board instead of the Hansol board. I installed it yesterday and my TV is back working again.

In the mean time, I had purchased a 32" Sony Bravia at Costco since I didn't know if the Syntax Olevia would ever work again. Side by side the Sony blows away the Syntax in picture quality... better color, blacker blacks.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:23 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
I went on vacation so I asked lcdrepair.net on holding my board for 2 weeks while I'm on vacation. I came back from a 2-week vacation and 2 weeks after that I was able to call lcdrepair.net again (looks like they don't check their voice mail.) They said they finished fixing my board and would ship out today. I hope to receive it sometime next week and check it out. They also mentioned the circuit that measured the returned current was not working correctly. So I will keep my fingers crossed that the board fixes my TV problem

Hendercc, thank you for the infomation on the Darfon board, and the brief review of the Sony TV . It's great that your tv is working again. We are using a tiny CRT TV while waiting for the LCD inverter to come back. We have been looking at some 37" LCD TV. Costco has a Sharp TV which looks great and looks attempting ...

Thanh
Old Jan 12, 2007, 05:01 PM
5 miles from the geographical center of Pennsylvania
Joined Aug 2005
2,144 Posts
If you buy all your televisions at Costco you can take it back when it breaks and get a full refund. Just a thought.
Unterhausen is offline Find More Posts by Unterhausen
Old Jan 17, 2007, 02:03 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
I got the inverter back from LCDrepair.net, almost 6 weeks after I sent it out for repair. I see the fix that was done to my board was that they replaced a transformer, and they cut away a piece of PCB where the gray wire connected to. Other than that, nothing else seemed change. BUT, to my sadness, there is NO back light when I plug it in. Nothing seems to happen. I measure the ON/OFF wire I have 4.7v, the VIPWM wire has 1.53v, the power wires have 24v. I'm back to sqaure 1 or 1.1.

Would 1.5v on the VIPWM wire sound reasonable? I'm thinking maybe the main board of this TV has some problem driving this inverter board, but I'm not so sure.

Any one has any ideas?

Thanks

Thanh
Old Jan 25, 2007, 03:45 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
After a few chats over the phone with lcdrepair.net and did some tests he suggested, I still couldn't get the inverter board to work. It looked like it's dead. The possible solutions for finding why the board he returned didnt work were that:

1. Send the whole TV to lcdrepair.net so that he can find out why the inverter doesn't work even after he fixed it. Don't know how muh shipping would cost and it would wait forever I'm afraid, considering the experience I had with just the inverter board.

2. Buy a whole new inverter board for $200 plus shipping and test it out. If it turns out the board he fixed doesn't work, he would refund me $50.

He would not be able to test the inverter board to see if it would light the bulbs like he said during one of the conversation I had a month earlier when he said he had a TV that used the same board

So, after some thinking, I think I will save the $200 for a new TV (which is bigger in size, has HDTV tuner, and better name - View Sonic or Sharp), and start a project that uses LED as back light for this TV. I hope I won't damage anything when I take all the protective covers off. I wonder if I could use many 3mm white LED or the super flux LED

thanh