HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2006, 09:54 PM
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
DFW, Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,283 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX7 - Actual Field Results

This thread is intended to capture actual field results of the new Spektrum DX7 RC system. As many of you know, this system is now becoming available for general purchase in the U.S. (our Ausie friends got it a week earlier than we did...). Building on the revolutionary DX6 2.4GHz system, the DX7 is the first truely 100% digital system available for RC aircraft for the general public. Many of you may not know or realize it, but the DX7 has none of the PPM/PCM delays of the DX6 or any other TX out there, since it's control inputs are sent from the TX controller in digital form to the RF deck (unlike the DX6 which took PPM pulses), resulting in the lowest latency possible (as in almost instantaneous). In addition, it allows for simultaneous servo outputs in CCPM helis and such as well.

Anyway, I am excited to start this new thread to discuss how the DX7 performs in the real world, although Horizon/Spektrum and put this through 1000's of hours of testing already over the past year.

Please, just actual, real field experience around system quality (feel of transmitter, etc.), programming (features, ease-of-use, etc.), range (how far can you push range), hit reports (hope there are none), etc.

-Hilgert

EDIT (11 December 2006): Accessing the DX7 or XP7202 Service Menu
hilgert is offline Find More Posts by hilgert
Last edited by hilgert; Dec 11, 2006 at 10:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:04 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Subscribed. I am looking forward to seeing this thread bloom.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:20 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,067 Posts
Thanks for the notification of the new thread Hilgert. Mine's back-ordered right now. I went with the Heli version as I (might) end up trying to fly some smaller E-copters in the future (own three+ of them now, so I ought to learn how to fly them).

My first planned mod will be adding a D.E. switching regulator and 3-Cell LiPo battery just like I did in the 6102DX conversion. Have to wait to get the radio and check the insides first.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:29 PM
southbay ca
Joined Nov 2005
126 Posts
Subscribed.

"
My first planned mod will be adding a D.E. switching regulator and 3-Cell LiPo battery just like I did in the 6102DX conversion.
"

The switching regulator mod is not necessary. DX7 runs at 130mA in DSM2 mode. The main battery pack is 1100mAHrs.

Paul
dumthums is offline Find More Posts by dumthums
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:30 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,572 Posts
I'm in too
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:37 PM
Montrose, CO
Joined Jul 2003
281 Posts
Looking forward to seeing user reports on the DX7.

In particular, I hope at least some owners of the new DX7 will do comparative range tests of the $100 AR7000 and $50 AR6000receivers. The question to answer is: To what extent is Spectrum's park flyer limitation on AR6000 rx due to reduced range and to what extent is it just a marketing ploy to sell higher priced receivers to those people flying mid-size planes? Look forward to learning of the actual experiences of DX7 owners with both receivers.
Jim13704 is offline Find More Posts by Jim13704
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:40 PM
DFW, Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
My first planned mod will be adding a D.E. switching regulator and 3-Cell LiPo battery just like I did in the 6102DX conversion. Have to wait to get the radio and check the insides first.
Van,

You may not need to do this mod. The DX7 uses less power than the DX6. beardp , who posted above, knows a bit about this.

Trust me when I say that THIS is THE radio system we all have been waiting for. If I do the regulator mod, it would only be to put my lipo battery in (I *hate* having to worry about batteries draining in storage). But I'll wait and see on that - for now I am sure I'll use it so much it will have to always be on the charger!!!
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:42 PM
Sydney, Oz.
Joined Mar 2006
441 Posts
My DX7 is set up on my 3 planes now, on the ground it all works wonderfully! Haven't had a chance to fly anything yet (and wont for a few more days), but I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.
Other comments... Programming is great, half an hour of sifting through menu's and I'm totally comfortable with all the programming.
The screen has a bar graph to show battery charge state, as well as a raw voltage readout. No matter how much I charge that sucker it wont go above about 90% <voltages removed while I check them, what I wrote doesn't sound right>. I'm keen to see how accurate it is on the way down as well, I'll do some tests to check this.
HPSOV is offline Find More Posts by HPSOV
Last edited by HPSOV; Nov 30, 2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:47 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Thanks for the notification Hilgert, look forward to following the real world results and contributing once I get my DX7.

I agree that field results comparing all three current Rx AR7000-AR6000-AR6100 will be very interesting indeed.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:47 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
HPSOV: Put that battery on a digital charger and see if it goes any higher.

Hilgert: Give a call if you want.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:53 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,939 Posts
Picking mine up in the morning. I'll be flying it this weekend.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:57 PM
Mark 12:30
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Jan 2004
676 Posts
Wowee !!

Walked into my Hobby shop today to get some training gear for my CX2 , hoping the DX7 would indeed be mid December as that is when I would be getting my company paid bonus....WELL......the clerk was showing one to a customer and another was sitting on the shelf....10 minutes later the shop was out of DX7's and I had a smile on my face as did the other customer
I AM sponsored by VISA ya know !! Can't wait. I have a full compliment (10) rx' on my DX6 and am looking forward to "rebinding" them to my DX7...just hate the thought of retrimming 10 planes.
TipStalled is offline Find More Posts by TipStalled
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:25 PM
The BA
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
Geez, I saw this thread and was thinking there would be some actual user experiences here.

Oh well, waiting for input, like everyone else.
GoLikeaFish is offline Find More Posts by GoLikeaFish
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:43 PM
DFW, Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLikeaFish
Geez, I saw this thread and was thinking there would be some actual user experiences here.
There are some actual experiences from our friends Down Under, who started getting their units last week. There will be even more experiences this weekend. I wanted to wait for others to start receiving their DX7's in the US before beginning the new thread.

-Hilgert
Old Dec 01, 2006, 01:20 AM
drops screws
Iowa City, IA
Joined Dec 2005
1,178 Posts
I'm interested to know the new receivers work with the Hitec HS65's. From what I've heard.. Apparently the 3.3v signal doesn't play friendly with these servos. Which is really unfortunate because they are "THE" servos for a TRex 450 heli.
billyzelsnack is offline Find More Posts by billyzelsnack