SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2006, 09:35 PM
deadstik3
mcleansville,n.c.
Joined Jun 2006
381 Posts
Discussion
i am an addict i am an addict!!!

back again after a unsucessful maiden of the blue cess/cub have been trying to order a super fly after flyin my friends but dr. halko has them out of stock at the moment so i figured id try a rudder elevator bulid to tide me over until i can oreder it,have a look guys and give some feed back if you like
deadstik3 is offline Find More Posts by deadstik3
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2006, 07:40 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42
Syracuse, NY
Joined May 2005
1,616 Posts
Are you only using one elevon?
Hugequark is offline Find More Posts by Hugequark
Old Dec 01, 2006, 10:03 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
looks to be rudder elevator...
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Dec 01, 2006, 10:59 AM
United States, WA, Yacolt
Joined Dec 2005
1,027 Posts
it will work

saucerguy is offline Find More Posts by saucerguy
Last edited by saucerguy; Jan 06, 2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2006, 11:55 AM
deadstik3
mcleansville,n.c.
Joined Jun 2006
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerguy
Outside of the weight factor, that combo will work, I did the same thing with a saucer prototype, worked like a charm.
thanks i figured that there was somebody out that had tried this
thats what im looking for;what if any thing should i keep a eye on when i launch this thing saucerguy?
Old Dec 01, 2006, 12:00 PM
deadstik3
mcleansville,n.c.
Joined Jun 2006
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugequark
Are you only using one elevon?
tryin it with one elevator. and rudder using spare stuff in the shop.only worry is that nmh batt i'll be running but all in all i still managed to cg it at center line by moving the battery back.if this works i will do the brushless 3s lipo bp21 motor thing to it.
Old Dec 01, 2006, 12:32 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,027 Posts
Soft Grass

Last edited by saucerguy; Jan 06, 2007 at 09:06 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2006, 01:41 PM
deadstik3
mcleansville,n.c.
Joined Jun 2006
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerguy
Since it's going to be underpowered and overweight by default, ie. I have tried many different plane configurations using the cheap gear with almost no success, look for some soft grass to crash land it into, also, be sure there is absolutely no wind and launching from a hill helps, at least you'll know for sure if it's able to build up enough speed. Tractor's are better then pushers in this format as well, again, the cheap gear, so you might end up needing the motor/new prop facing forward. I also have noticed for example on a couple of harbor freight cheapo rc's, they are set up with a 4.8 nimh battery, I use the firebird 6.0 nimh instead and have significantly increased performance.

Other then that, nothing unusual flight characertistic wise with the layout, I do think the brushless/lipo upgrade may end up being mandatory in the end regardless.

Good luck on the maiden.
thanx for the imput will find tall grass and have a hill in mind you have voiced my thoughts to the letter.when we first start in this hobby the 8.4 1000nmh batts and brushed were the cutting edge everything i got now is lipo and brushless,kinda hate to retire all the brushed and nmh batts but sometimes you gotta move on,still this home build stuff is the way to go even if they dont fly well it great therapy. thanx again for your imput will post results as i have them.
ds3
Old Dec 01, 2006, 02:28 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,027 Posts
before you retire that gear

Last edited by saucerguy; Jan 06, 2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2006, 03:02 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
In addition to the Ultra Flyers, which do fly great, the gear you have would also work very well in a zagnutz wing around 45-55".

-mike s.
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Dec 01, 2006, 09:17 PM
deadstik3
mcleansville,n.c.
Joined Jun 2006
381 Posts
okay guys dug up a couple of gws servos and installed them changed out the 1000 for a 600mah had the cg adjusted and on the stand turned and evidently hit the throttle and off she went into the wall broke the nose no problem little epoxy and she is good to go great thing about this story is ... she hit the wall a foot higher thanwhere she started from being an optomist i take this as a sign of a good maiden to come changing the batt to 600 was i believe just what was needed saucer guy thanx man also ive seen the foam flyers at the lhs and will pick one up to fiddle with,below is a pic of it in comparison to my 540t

now about the zagnut can you link me to a site on it i am not knowledgeable about it.
Last edited by deadstik3; Dec 01, 2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2006, 10:12 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,027 Posts
good job

Last edited by saucerguy; Jan 06, 2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2006, 07:39 PM
deadstik3
mcleansville,n.c.
Joined Jun 2006
381 Posts
saucerguy,
cked out your builds and they are very creative and fuctional.will definately pick up a ultra flyer for next project is that a gws 350 motor and geardrive on it?
weather is socked in here so a postponment to maiden of the flat flyer with rudder and ele only. did increase the ele surface by an inch or so.hadnt thought much about it but any ideas how to launch without chewing ones hand up?thought about the frisby toss method like i do with the superfly butdont think ive got the same thrust here as there so what u think maybe a small keel to hold for launch?
Old Dec 03, 2006, 09:54 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,027 Posts
launch

Last edited by saucerguy; Jan 06, 2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2006, 01:47 PM
deadstik3
mcleansville,n.c.
Joined Jun 2006
381 Posts
you will definately find a market in the home build field i will add a launch keel and hope to maiden this tue pm will keep you informed with the flight since i dont have vid cap i will have to give u a verbal flight rep.rite off the 480brushed seems strong on the bench a10a brushed esc and a megatech tx /rx from a freedom flyer the motor from a fire bird freedom pusher prop was with the motor thats left overs from 2 planes that i had 100s of flights and crashes on so we will see. bye the way liked the use of old planes to make your franken flyer seems that the wife is now concerned that foam plates and duster handles will start to disappear.