SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2006, 08:43 PM
Petagas, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
Joined Sep 2003
499 Posts
Discussion
Modelling Planes using Blender for FMS and Clearview

It is still under the discussion stage because I have to sort out a few things. It worked perfectly with FMS after further editing with mqo21a.

I converted to mqo21a by first exporting to .cob(truspace). The objects are unchanged but their positions have gone awry. Using mqo21a I can add textrues. I was able to fly it but I cannot find a suitable parameter for it. The lightest is 70g, whereas x-twin is only 20g.

After goiing through the initial blender tutorials, I suggest you do not go into the advanced stages. Instead go direct the reference and read the hotkeys.

Use only meshes, NURB curves and blaziers, should not be possible becaue these are formulae, not actual coordinates. You can use mirror modifiers, but must apply them first before exporting to .ac or .cob file formats. I tried exporting without applying the mirror modifiers but it failed. Once we applied, the vertexes are actually created.

blender is very powerful with lots of functions but for RC modelling, that can be accepted by FMS and Clearview, we cannot apply all the functions. However using the mesh editing tools will make our lives much easier.

The tips are summarised below:

1. use outline mode to select objects
2. there are different modes when editing: group, edit, material
3. use the knife functions in order to add vertices. It is not to cut but to add vertices (points).
Accessible in the editing mode, by pressing the KKEY( the K key, in blender jargon). Make sure that you are in the edit mode and your mouse cursor is in the 3D window.

a) direct cut is where the knife interfaces the edges(lines). Use the middle wheel mouse button to force perpendicular lines.

b) middle cut is where the centre of the lines are added points.

c) multi points can add many points in the lines.
othmanskn is offline Find More Posts by othmanskn
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2006, 01:22 AM
Joined Sep 2003
499 Posts
4. use smoothing function liberally. It can add points automatically but usually it will make your object smaller so must scale up periodically. It is in the edit mode/editing button(F9)/mesh tools

5.Use the proportional editing mode. It is in the edit mode/edit button at the header of the 3D window. It allows us to move vertexes as well as its neighbors. You can change the number of neighboring vertexes that will be affected by using the mouse wheel.

If the Grey circles did not not appear during proportional editing, you must restart blender. This is one of the few bugs in blender.
[IMG]"D:\apln\3d\blender\proportional_button.JPG"[/IMG]

The attachment below shows the screen during the edit mode when the edit button is selected as well as the picture of the proportional button.

6.For Clearview, the position of the model must be as shown in the attachment during the side view. It is pointing at the -ve x-axis.

7. All the extra windows are shown but these are not the default. With these windows you can change the dimensions of objects on them by typing numbers instead of using the mouse.

8. Scaling values, prompted by the SKEY, in the edit mode, can be entered one by one,separated by the tab key, finished by the return key. If only one number is entered, all axis will be scaled, but these values are clearly shown on the header of the 3D window.

When you first enter 0, the whole image disappear, because the scale is zero, but continue adding . and the subsequent numbers, the image will display accordingly. You can delete the numbers.

You can scale in the proper axis by using SKEY followed by XKEY for the x-axis scaling. I use this alot because I match my primitive cylinder to a picture background that I can trace its outline. I work with the true side view first, 1KEY(front view) first, followed by the front view and later top view.

If I have a 3-view plans of anything, I can model the planes reasonably well using these technique.

9. Circle region select is activated by pressing the BKEY twice. The mouse wheel can adjust its size, but must be terminated with RMB(right mouse button) first before we can do any editing.

10. I tried to use mirroring a lot because planes are symmetrical. However in modeling the body, I modeled both sides and then mirror them anyway, delete duplicate vertices to get a more symmetrical object.

11. The mirror modifier pivots at a certain point. These centre points can be adjusted. You can enter the 0,0,0 position using the view-properties window, and then change the object centre to the cursor. There are other options.

I notice that there are other ways of pivoting.
At one point I was in trouble when I enable the move-object-centres-only button. I can view the rotation of objects in real-time.
Old Dec 01, 2006, 06:43 AM
UN Earth peoples true enemy
Euroland
Joined Jan 2004
1,799 Posts
Excellent stuff any chance of a vidio tutorial

I am doing similar investigation to use Blender for simulators

my preference is to export to flightgear at www.flightgear.com as they are totaly open source like blender and some EZONERS are involved in making it unlike FMS and many other flight sims which can only be accessed through API

However in order to have a useful tool I will also try to find copy or if nessary develop API for the other main types of simulators out there such as FMS clearview
MS sim , Flight etc

Also I want to be able to use other CAD such as Maya which has frreee for non comercial use downloads versions and other types of CAD

Also not to forget Blender can do game or simulators without to use another simulator

The other thing realy for others who dont know the Blender is here is not the best thread to learn the finer details as the tutorials on the subject are numerous and make make the EZONE site look tiny compared to Blender Gazillion sites tiutorials both written and vidio such as greybeard and elephants dream and users pages out there

Also I for one would find a tutorial done in the vidio mode the best way to explain what you have succeeded to do if you can get time to that as there is lots of good open source free vidio tutorial systems to had

Rather than clutter up this thread with all the gory details of my progrees or lack of it will merley place links here with a date of link and my lack of responses is more not to load this excellent thread you have started than lack of intrest

for those who want a more easy life microsoft have got some sort of packagethat does this for flight sim but you got to buy it

keep up the good work you saved me a whack load of work to figure this much out

Ralf

PS
Just might be just a tempory thing but I cant get anything when I go to clearview download sites or if I go direct to clearview site www.rcflightsim.com
it not there so it might be tempoarly down so I cant copy what you have done
treehog is offline Find More Posts by treehog
Last edited by treehog; Dec 01, 2006 at 08:33 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2006, 06:07 PM
Joined Sep 2003
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehog
I am doing similar investigation to use Blender for simulators

my preference is to export to flightgear at www.flightgear.com as they are totaly open source like blender and some EZONERS are involved in making it unlike FMS and many other flight sims which can only be accessed through API
That will be the final stage but we must learn first in trying to find out successful RC Sim are created so that we can use it to improve Flightgear. You notice that Flightgear is designed primarily for Flight Sim, not RC Sim.
CRCSIM is already available but its scenery is too primitive and it diverges from Flightgear too far.

I already have FMS and Clearview and they function better as RC simulators compared to Flightgear.

It is important for us to learn how to convert from one to the other.
It is my intention to master flightgear but I find it so difficult because there is not enough documentation. It relies on its source code as its documentation but I still have not set up my system to compile all the various components required to compile the whole package.

The next phase to convert my models to flightgear but I'd like to enjoy playing with them first in FMS and Clearview.

Quote:
However in order to have a useful tool I will also try to find copy or if nessary develop API for the other main types of simulators out there such as FMS clearview
MS sim , Flight etc

Also I want to be able to use other CAD such as Maya which has frreee for non comercial use downloads versions and other types of CAD
I'd like to concentrate on as few CAD system as possible. Too much learning to do.
Quote:
Also not to forget Blender can do game or simulators without to use another simulator
Yes, I'm aware of it and in fact it is the better option. We are in full control of its full rendering facilities. This is the future of simulators in general and games based on simulation.

Quote:
The other thing realy for others who dont know the Blender is here is not the best thread to learn the finer details as the tutorials on the subject are numerous and make make the EZONE site look tiny compared to Blender Gazillion sites tiutorials both written and vidio such as greybeard and elephants dream and users pages out there
It is clearly accessible from blender's menu, and I advised any blender user to glance through them.

Quote:
Also I for one would find a tutorial done in the vidio mode the best way to explain what you have succeeded to do if you can get time to that as there is lots of good open source free vidio tutorial systems to had
That is another system to learn. I'd rather concentrate on doing the real things but not ignoring the basic documentation which may come handy for our own use also. We tend to forget after a while.

Quote:
Rather than clutter up this thread with all the gory details of my progrees or lack of it will merley place links here with a date of link and my lack of responses is more not to load this excellent thread you have started than lack of intrest
You notice that this thread is in the discussion category. It is not complete and full of errors and misconceptions. I'm still learning from my mistakes.
Once I am pretty sure that I got the best way of doing things, I shall change its category to mini-howto.

Quote:
for those who want a more easy life microsoft have got some sort of packagethat does this for flight sim but you got to buy it
This is what I am hoping. I'm aware that professional game developers have much more advanced systems at their disposal.

Quote:
keep up the good work you saved me a whack load of work to figure this much out
If you had waited for me to prepare a vidio tutorial, you'll never discover it as quickly as it is now.

I may even forget why I made my earlier mistakes.

Even now, my memory was only in patches. I had to post a few times the moment I managed to recall them. I can put them down in my own notes, but they tend to be lost somewhere.

In this group, it is much easier to locate anywhere I am.

Ralf

PS
Just might be just a tempory thing but I cant get anything when I go to clearview download sites or if I go direct to clearview site www.rcflightsim.com
it not there so it might be tempoarly down so I cant copy what you have done[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 03, 2006, 01:27 AM
Joined Sep 2003
499 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=3#post6487965

I managed to get colours finally into my P47c into Clearview.

I had to do text editing and I made a few fundamental mistakes.

All the materials have trans parameter set to greater than zero, and
I made the wrong assumption on material numbers.
ac3d file format uses mat 0 for the first line of parameter declaration.

Once this is settled, I should be able to colour my models and make some of them transparent for the cockpit.

To get decals on its bodies, I notice that blender cannot export texture information into the .ac format. No wonder. It is too difficult.

ac3d uses preassigned texture mapping when the veritices are created.
In order to remap textures onto surfaces, the vertices must be realligned.
It will be too difficult for large surfaces, but for smaller surfaces, it can be done by editing the pictures, instead of using blender or ac3d to adjust the mapping of the texture.

mqo format should be among the best because it allows us to map it conveniently and save it in readable formats.

I shall proceed with experimenting with manually adding textures to known objects cubes and cylinders in order to determine the default texture mapping of .ac file format.

I wonder if Clearview adheres to the true ac3d program?
Old Dec 03, 2006, 03:02 AM
Joined Sep 2003
499 Posts
The alpha is blender is similar to trans in .ac file.

I still have not found out about shi except that it should mean shining.

Still trying to find out the equivalent in blender.

I just found out that there is nothing wrong with textures except that it is too large.
rying to download graph papers to measure their scaling effects.