SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2002, 02:32 PM
Fight On!
San Salvador, El Salvador
Joined May 2001
605 Posts
Adrian Page Gee Bee Z

One of my "fly glow" friends is building an Adrian Page Gee Bee Z. I saw the kit today and it seemed like it would be a great candidate for an e-conversion. The wings and fuselage structure seem quite light. It has been designed to fly on a .56 Saito. I've yet to plug the a/c in Motocalc.
The quality of the kit is superb.

These are the specs:

WS=56.5"
WT=5.5 Lbs
WA=550 si
Length=35"

Check out the airplane at www.adrianpage.com
mario alvarez is offline Find More Posts by mario alvarez
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2002, 06:26 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,169 Posts
550+watts out...go fly

Mark
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Sep 07, 2002, 09:52 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I've had one in the "kit mountain" for some time. It's an early production version - Adrian does them himself now, and assured me himself that everything fits a lot better than they might have in the past ...

Everything's there, the structure is pretty light. Do a light 'film finish, and there's plenty of room inside for the battery! You'll also need a big prop to get around that cowl. As GeeBees were meant to go like bats out of you know where, the flight pattern you'd go for would be pretty flat, the odd roll, inverted and even knife edge. The replica R2 fullsize did that sort of thing in its demos, and I recall reading that the R2 team calculated it could not actually loop thanks to the entry speed the aircraft could attain, allied to the G needed to pull over - it would have run out of steam before it got inverted.

Models probably can do more!

16 x CP1700, 30 - 35A, deep gearing, big prop. Take off and fly around fast, chuck in a roll or two, a fast inverted pass, maybe a short knife edge, a blistering run down the runway, pull up and around to land, to rapturous applause from the folk who thought a GeeBee could never fly ...

Keith Shaw had / has a similar sized R2 that flies real good on 16 cells, not sure about the motor but it probably is either an AF15 or 15G.

Maybe I need to promote mine up to the top of the moutain...

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Sep 08, 2002, 09:23 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dereck
Keith Shaw had / has a similar sized R2 that flies real good on 16 cells, not sure about the motor but it probably is either an AF15 or 15G.
Kieth was flying this model with an Astro geared 25 when I spoke with him about it at 95 KRC. I've got it on video racing down the runway barely off the ground. Someone in the audience mentioned aloud "I wonder if it'll do knifedge". It was if he had flipped a switch and it was knifedge horizon to horizon.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Sep 08, 2002, 06:36 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Greg
Has to be it - I saw him fly it at the last Buc Lehigh grass field KRC. Not a machine for the nervous, but smooth and fast. A 25G, which is what I meant if I could type reliably in a hurry, sounds more like the conventional wisdom for 16 cells. I flew my 25/Superbox some in the 4*40, made a good, if hefty, 20 cell package and needed around a 16 x 10 Zinger to get near to 30A when I ran it on 16 cells.

I was looking around a LHS in VA yesterday and they had a Kyosho BARF "Z" hanging off the ceiling. I think it's maybe a tad smaller than Adrian's, and almost certainly a lot heavier - but whatever, it looks only slightly less brutal than the "R" models.

Looking at the size of the Kyosho, I wouldn't like to fly it at anything over 4-1/2lb (and it's probably nearer 6lb).

If/when my Page Z gets done, it'll be slanted to smaller cells (CP1700) and I'll live with the flight time. Was idly thinking about an AF15 I have, with a Superbox, though right now its on a MAT beltdrive, which might just make the cut.

Regards

D
Old Sep 10, 2002, 04:02 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
Dereck,

I have both in my "kit mountain" too. I plan on using a Aveox 1406/4Y with 3.7 :1 gear box,14x7 apc-e and 14x1300's on the Kyosho Z. 21 amp@6000 rpm.

Brian, An EAJ, and mountain builder..
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Sep 11, 2002, 12:23 PM
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
1,179 Posts
Adrian's prototype is sitting in a basement in the mid-west waiting for the borrwed MaxCim motor that I tried to push into the ground with my Typhoon at Ann Arbour.

I think it is an excellent candidate for conversion!

Ron
Ron Daniels is offline Find More Posts by Ron Daniels
Old Sep 11, 2002, 01:33 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
These folk seem to know a little about Z's :-

http://www.jimkimballenterprises.com/GeeBeeZ.htm

Ron - A sound choice of motor. I have idly thought about my AF15G for a long while, but they are 'only' good for 480W if you read and believe the right folk - like the ones who run 16 cells and 30A.

I'd rather have 16 x 40A for take off, see what happens when the wings take over and have the option to throttle back when airborne Sounds like a 13Y jobber, with deep gearing and some serious amount of prop.

D
Old Sep 11, 2002, 11:39 PM
Professional Goofball
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Dec 2000
1,001 Posts
Might be a bit heavy but sure would be a great looking conversion. I am building one and have for about 2 years now as projects seem to pile up around here. I took pictures along the way that can be seen here:

http://www.geocities.com/ocmodels/geebeez/current.html

With brushless motors like they are today, you should not have too much trouble getting the power needed...

Jeff
OCModels is offline Find More Posts by OCModels