HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2002, 01:46 PM
Lenexa KS USA
Joined Jun 2001
347 Posts
Micro-Night-Flyer or Lightning Bug

The wind always seems to calm down just before it gets dark so I added micro glo tubes to my RFFS converted Lightning. They are brighter than the picture shows and only added a little over a gram. Works well as long as you keep it in close. I suppose some of you might want to know what it is? I bought two packages of the teflon tubing used for replacement tips for CA adhesive. I put 1 around the leading edge of the wing held on with small pieces of tape and another over and around wing struts and landing gear held with one piece of tape at the tail. I used a hypodermic needle to draw glo juice from a glow stick and then filled each tube. When full I just put a small piece of tape on each end to seal it off. To refill just take tape off and force more juice into tube forcing old juice out. I bought a thousand 8 inch glow sticks for the kids for the fourth of July (well thats what I told my wife) and that makes them really cheap . But I noticed they had them for sale at Osco Drug for $1.99 if you want to try it. I found the less contact with the air the longer the tube will glow. Thats why you want to draw it out of the big tube if possible rather than dumping it out and then drawing it up. Try this some evening just be careful with the needle you don't want your finger to glow all night.

Dan
Dan Leonard is offline Find More Posts by Dan Leonard
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2002, 01:48 PM
Lenexa KS USA
Joined Jun 2001
347 Posts
Same shot with the lights on
Dan Leonard is offline Find More Posts by Dan Leonard
Old Sep 07, 2002, 02:20 PM
Living Room Aviator
Joined Jun 2002
269 Posts
Nifty! I've thought about putting lights powered by the LiPoly on my living room planes for cool effect; perhaps I should get moving on that.

You might be able to capture the flight history of your plane using a long exposure photograph in near total darkness.

-David
drliu is offline Find More Posts by drliu
Old Sep 08, 2002, 11:22 AM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
since you would be flying in you living room you might be able to color it with a highlighter and put in a black light bulb. I have thought of putting a black light LED on the underside of a larger plane (IFO)with it pointed up toward the plane and coloring it with a highlighter but the only black light LEDs I could find were in one of those high power keychain flaslights and it was $15.
fwilly is offline Find More Posts by fwilly
Old Sep 08, 2002, 01:23 PM
NRH, TX
Joined Jan 2002
190 Posts
Fwilly, here's one that's 5 bucks cheaper. I've ordered one and I'll let you know if it's any good. I never thought of mounting it to a plane like you suggested, but that sounds like a cool Idea. I want to use it for finding scorpions. here's the link, http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/prodinfo.asp?prodid=6067
Flying Taco is offline Find More Posts by Flying Taco
Old Sep 08, 2002, 04:05 PM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Aug 2002
99 Posts
Heheh, cool lights! Also very nice plane! Has anybody ever thought of it as an UFO when flyíng at night?? I don't know if you fly outside, but it surely has a great effect!!!!
Alex
alex_parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by alex_parkflyer