HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2002, 12:03 PM
morristown,nj,usa
Joined Sep 2002
83 Posts
Wattage B2 stealth bomber

Any experiences with the Wattage (foamie, not Megatech) B2 Stealth Bomber?
escapee is offline Find More Posts by escapee
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2002, 01:24 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
How about bad experiences? It's my recommendation you look at something else rather than waste the money on the Wattage B-2. Apparently others have made theirs fly OK with a higher than 6 cell count, but it's a tip stall lover.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Sep 07, 2002, 01:42 PM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
If you're looking to spend more money on mods you could make it fly well. I had one it's in the trash now. It won't fly stock with the recomended setup.
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old Sep 07, 2002, 01:51 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,399 Posts
The original Wattage gear was way too heavy. With a modern light ESC, Rx and 7 cell 150 mAh NiMH battery its OK. It has to be flown in absolutely calm conditions though. The wing has massive amounts of wash IN so it stalls easily with changes in windspeed.
The CG is critical.
Unless you are an experienced pilot, I wouldn't recommend it.

http://www.rcplane.com/Builders_Corn...alth/index.htm
http://www.hobbypeople.net/review/128400sem.htm
http://jupiter.spaceports.com/~rickgode/Pages/b2.html

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Last edited by rpage53; Sep 07, 2002 at 02:01 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2002, 02:30 PM
Epic Win or Epic Fail!
Kent, England.
Joined Dec 2001
817 Posts
Its OK

It's Ok but thats about it. It needs a good pilot at the controls in anything more than a 1mph wind but I enjoy it mine. It needs speed to be a fun to fly so a hard (upwards ish) launch is recomended then you can dive to speed. And try to keep it as light as possible. And It flys indoors too but very fast though! It will loop well with speed from a dive and rolls are a bit marginal since it trys to stay inverted! But will a light setup its an ok plane but do not expect too much from it it needs nill wind but looks great in low passes!

Alan

(P.S. Alough I have heard it can be flown without the see through fins I would not recomend it!)
awood12345 is offline Find More Posts by awood12345
Old Sep 07, 2002, 04:18 PM
Markle, In. US
Joined Oct 2000
196 Posts
I really enjoyed my B2. I used a 6 cell 150 nicad pack as well as the 9volt nimh Rayovac battery, with the case removed. As long as you get the CG correct it can be a nice little plane. I always enjoyed the twin B2 motors screaming along.
fritts is offline Find More Posts by fritts
Old Sep 07, 2002, 04:34 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
My experience with the Wattage B2 is it flys OK, just needs what I call "energy" management. It is stock, except I found the CG needs to be slightly forward of the recommended location. I use the same batteries as Fritts, 9v Rayovac w the case removed, and 6X150 nycads. I compare its flight chacteristics to my (albiet limited) electric ducted fan experience. You don't have any suplus power to get out of trouble, and it seems to be highly contingent on the performance of your battery pack.

But it looks really cool in the air, and sounds awesome! I measured the RPMs at over 20K
jah is offline Find More Posts by jah
Old Sep 07, 2002, 09:16 PM
morristown,nj,usa
Joined Sep 2002
83 Posts
guess not

Thanks to all for the input. Looks like it's "high maintenance".
I wondered about the advertising ... an aileron ship, flying wing no less, that can be flown by anyone.
Considering it's sensitive & probably needs a Feather or something else tiny with single conversion glitch issues, I think I'll stay clear for now, sures looks cool though.
Thanks again for saving my money (for something else).
escapee is offline Find More Posts by escapee
Old Sep 07, 2002, 10:51 PM
S. Calif
Joined Mar 2000
1,409 Posts
I have a lot of fun with my B-2s, buy it took a long time getting there. I never was able to get it do do anything but stagger through the air on the stock setup. It took 8 cells to get it to fly and that burns out the motors real fast (it does look funny spinning in when one motor fails and the other keeps running). I have had better luck filling in the two motor holes with tape and mounting a single GWS IPS motor direct drive pusher. This flys very well on 7 cells. I flew it for 1/2 hour once on lithiums and landed when I wore out, not the battery. Another good mod is to cut out two more motor holes and fly it on 4 motors. Its not my idea and you can find pictures here with a search, but I have done it and it flies really well on 7x700 Nimh batteries. Sounds awesome and it will loop and roll with the best of them. I flew one for awhile with a sp280 pusher, but that was a little too scarey for me. CG should be about 3/16 in front of the marked location. Its a great little airplane and I still have a spare tucked away for when I destroy one of the airworthy ones. Its just not an airplane that lives up to the hype on the boxtop.
Gerry
Gerry Markgraf is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Markgraf