SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2006, 02:34 PM
Joined Aug 2005
12 Posts
Discussion
My Swift II + Question

Hello guys

Just bought a Swift II and equipped it with an AXI 2208/26 and a APC 7x5E and my powepack is a Thunderpower 1320 mha Lipo.
AUW is around 310 g.

Well the model flies great, it has unlimited vertical and VERY long flight times.

Last time i took it out for a flight, I flew for 22 min before I stopped, not because I ran out of power but because my little 6 month old daughter started to cry..

Okay enough of all the tech stuff and now for the question.

The manual states that the CG should be around 18 - 18,5 cm from the nose.

My CG is just around 18 cm from the nose, but it feels like it's a bit tail heavy.
It loops extemely tight, and when I flie it without the motor running it tends to stick the nose in the air.

Have I done something wrong, when I build it, or do I just put lead in the nose to compensate ?

All suggestions are welcome.
highboy is offline Find More Posts by highboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:46 PM
Joined May 2006
849 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have experience with that plane, but do know that itís not unheard of for the optimal CG to be somewhere else that what a manual might say. The best thing to do is try moving it back and forth with lead until you get a feel for it. From my experience a tail heavy wing is seems to constantly get "unbalanced" in the sky and a nose heavy wing hunts for the ground. If the throttle significantly changes the angle of attack, such as moving the nose up or down relative to glide mode, the thrust angle needs to be adjusted.
dessertracer is offline Find More Posts by dessertracer
Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:05 PM
Robots... robots everywhere
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2003
2,060 Posts
A touch of lead in the nose should do it, sounds like tail heavy to me.
minifly is offline Find More Posts by minifly