HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2002, 10:56 AM
Pensacola Regional, Florida, United States
Joined Jan 2002
442 Posts
First time builder glueing question

I'm getting ready to build for the first time and would like to know if I can simply use Titebond II for the entire project? I'm not in any hurry to get it done just want an uncomplicated way to glue up the entire project w/ maximum strength. I'm bulding a GP Spirit sailplane... If this isn't feasible can someone tell me the types of glues to use in different areas of the build. (eg.- wings use titebond, wing holddowns use resin.......)
rakm is offline Find More Posts by rakm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2002, 11:51 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Hi there!
Yes, you can use Titebond II to build the entire model. The one place you might want to use epoxy is on the dihedral joints and braces (and maybe the firewall if you're making it e-power). Titebond II is stong enough even for that, but epoxy fills gaps a little better (doesn't shrink much) and is usually a little more shock-resistant. As with any glue, Titebond II works best when your joints are close-fitting. If there are visible gaps, the joint will be weakened. Also, whenever possible, pin or clamp assemblies as they dry.

have fun!
David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Sep 08, 2002, 06:50 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Everything he said. I dilute mine with a little water and apply with a disposable kids paintbrush. You need to be a patient builder, but it makes it easy to sand everything later..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 18, 2002, 02:06 PM
Pensacola Regional, Florida, United States
Joined Jan 2002
442 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I've been busy building and it seems to work great. It's nice to be able to glue with my daughter around and not have to put up with any fumes and it's easy water cleanup. Seems like very strong/solid bonds.

Now if I could just learn to cut accurate angles and quit cutting pieces "just a tad too short" i'd be alright....
rakm is offline Find More Posts by rakm
Old Sep 18, 2002, 02:42 PM
pushing both extremes
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2001
566 Posts
Aahhh the secret to that is the miter sander. If you think you might build more planes, this is a great tool. I have the one by Fourmost Products (about $20) and love it.

- Zoom -
Zoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoom
Old Sep 18, 2002, 02:46 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rakm
Now if I could just learn to cut accurate angles and quit cutting pieces "just a tad too short" i'd be alright....
Err on the long side and sand the piece to final length for a perfect fit.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Oct 06, 2002, 09:50 PM
Damascus Md
Joined Oct 2002
147 Posts
Yes the mitre sander is a nice tool. I use tite-bond 2 also. Where you need to sand a lot (as on wing tips) I use Sigment glue. It sands just like balsa and dries quicker than tite-bond. Tite-bond will gum up your sander a bit. Sigment is the same glue we used back in the 1950's. Using it from the tube is messy so I put it in a Sig syringe. It won't set up in it and works well for tite-bond too.
Jim Finn is offline Find More Posts by Jim Finn