HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2006, 01:42 PM
Robots... robots everywhere
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2003
2,060 Posts
I just finished my Jart, and I'm already seeing better ways to do it. Oh well....

Great start BTW, if it comes out anything like your discus then even better
minifly is offline Find More Posts by minifly
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2006, 02:09 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban
SteveW who thinks back to Hendrix singing Hey Joe where you going with that jart in you hand
Goin' down to midair with my old lady 'cause I caught her flying foam.

Nauga,
who wondered why he wanted to kiss the guy.
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Old Nov 28, 2006, 02:18 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,139 Posts
It was the purple haze and he couldnt see it was a guy
SteveW yeah caught her flying foam wid anuda man
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Nov 28, 2006, 09:48 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed
Two beautiful models, Joe (wife/pylon racer). Soon you'll have three!

I like the idea of hollowing the foam before you glass it. How will you hollow back to the empanage for the elevator linkage?
For the first statement, with my wife just behind me, I have to say "Yes".

I'm going to leave that part solid mostly to avoid weak spots. A small trough will be sanded to fit the elevator nyrod, and a small hollow pocket will be made for the control horn and linkage.
Joe Yap is offline Find More Posts by Joe Yap
Last edited by Joe Yap; Nov 28, 2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 09:51 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred
Hey Joe - Long time no see.

Great to see that there will finally be a Jart in Singapore!

Alfred
Hi Alfred,

Long time no see too. The Jarts will not be flown just in Singapore, but Malaysia and Phuket as well! It's a design too good to be missed.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 09:54 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajroahkni
Joe Yap

Your Little Duo Discus thread is one of my all time faves. The hollowed out fuse is a great idea and your craftsmanship is amazing.

I look forward to seeing the process on this jart and the finished product!

John
Thanks, glad that you guys like it. Maybe when I've retired, I should write an R/C book call "Feasible homebuild R/C plane designs and techniques." Just a thought.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 04:22 AM
If it ain't broke...break it!
South Coast, UK
Joined Jun 2006
912 Posts
Why wait 'til you retire? Do it now, you can rest when you're dead
Hangtight is offline Find More Posts by Hangtight
Old Dec 04, 2006, 08:34 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Wow, I'd just came back from a short vacation and the thread has been thrown far behind. Now is the time to catch up.

Hi Hangtight,

I'd think so, but my full-time job keeps me occupied most of the time. When I have more time and gain more experienced and skill, that'll be the right time.

I spent half and hour to hotwire cut the inner cavity of the 3rd fuselage core. You have to excuse me on the slow progress as every single step will be followed by another 2 repetition as I'm building 3 models at the same time.

A bit of sanding and the fuselage core is ready for the glassing of the inner walls.
Old Dec 04, 2006, 10:07 PM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,910 Posts
Joe Yap,

Will you be reinforcing the nose-wing saddle area (and can you show us your technique) to be able to handle those one-point landings?

from jartworld.com
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Dec 04, 2006, 10:54 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,139 Posts
Thats Zippers Jart ploughing the back 40
SteveW with Kangaroo's loose in the top paddock
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Dec 05, 2006, 07:56 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajroahkni
Joe Yap,

Will you be reinforcing the nose-wing saddle area (and can you show us your technique) to be able to handle those one-point landings?

from jartworld.com
Thanks for reminding. As the matter of fact, I have anticipated the weak point of the fuselage would be at the brass wing joiner tube location, just under the canopy. The part is the narrowest and will most likely to break on those less than perfect landing.

I have just glassed the inner walls with a layer of medium weight cloth. At the wing saddle area, the distance between the wing joiner tube and the canopy base is only about 1/2" apart and reinforcements will definitely be necessary. I'm intending to brush on some CF tows on the inner walls at the area and also maybe line the canopy base with thin plywood. I also bought CF strips for longerons to be glued to the external walls of the fuselage later on.

Having thought of all these, I still cannot gurantee the fuselage will hold up in such a high impact landing. But than again, if the impact is on my head or someone else's, I'd rather prefer the fuselage to break.
Old Dec 06, 2006, 02:23 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
With the loose cloths trimmed, I installed the elevator pushrod plastic sheaths and antenna housings. A small opening is cut at the tail on each fuselage half to allow free movement of the elevator control horn. To strengthen the wing saddle area, I laid CF rovings above and under the wing joiner position on each fuselage half.
Old Dec 06, 2006, 03:55 AM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
Joe,

Just make sure the joiner bar snaps first
samotage is offline Find More Posts by samotage
Old Dec 06, 2006, 03:57 AM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
Joe,

Another point, how are you planning on getting the battery in there? Mine is of the following config

II
II

and is much further forward than you could get with your hollowed out zones - and I still have a little lead up the front.

Sam.
samotage is offline Find More Posts by samotage
Old Dec 06, 2006, 05:29 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
My rx pack has the same configuration with yours. I do foresee the need for nose ballast but I'm not going compromise the strength of the nose by hollowing out the foam any further. I'll cut a small cavity and pre-install a lead ballast near the tip of the nose. As such, I should not need to shaft the pack all the way up front of the nose.

Thanks again for the point on the joiner bar. I intended to use solid carbon rod, but after seeing your post, I'm thinking of using CF tube instead, but first, I need to hunt for one with the correct diameter.