1,863 Posts
Olmod:
Beautiful job! Keep the pictures coming............foamdave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:10 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,490 Posts
Ah yes, they look soooo nice, and so good in the air. But have only seen two Mills 75 powered freeflight ones.

What aluminum did you use for the undercart? The stuff I have here I fear would bend flat on the first arrival.

It is and has been on the 'backburner' here though for years. Maybe one day if time permits.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:31 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
Ah yes, they look soooo nice, and so good in the air. But have only seen two Mills 75 powered freeflight ones.

What aluminum did you use for the undercart? The stuff I have here I fear would bend flat on the first arrival.

It is and has been on the 'backburner' here though for years. Maybe one day if time permits.
The Aluminium is extruded skirting 6060 it measures 80mm x 1.5mm i measured it at 1.7mm the reason i use this is that the grain is lengthwise and when bending a radiused plate/anvil must be used or fracturing will occur,but it is nice and springy not that this bird will test it too much.
a good scource for offcuts are shopfitters, shower screen mfg ,im lucky to have as part of my workshop equipment a power gilloutine and a folder left over from a biz in a previous life. ps I do have a Mills .75 from the old days still in top nick but the origonal fuel bowl got lost
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Nov 28, 2006, 02:40 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,490 Posts
Thanks for that info. There is a shower mnf. not far from here, so will take a look.

I have 4 original Mills .75s, and two of them were missing the tank, and even though this is some years ago I ask a few people and got a couple of repros. that look the same as the orig.

You could try Peter Lloyd at www.pelaero.com.au He may have one or know where one is.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 03:31 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
706 Posts
Gossie/olmod,

Jon Fletcher had some tanks, "aeroland" is his Ebay ID and he's pedantic with his stuff so you know it's good.

Cheers,
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver
Old Nov 28, 2006, 03:36 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Another Vic Smeeder that I MUST build... this one would suit laser cutting to a T...stuff a bell motor up its rear and you would have the ultimate 3CH trainer...
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Nov 28, 2006, 03:54 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,513 Posts
Thanks gossie ,i did send an email and caught up with the latest news on the forthcoming Nat's
Old Nov 28, 2006, 04:11 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
Another Vic Smeeder that I MUST build... this one would suit laser cutting to a T...stuff a bell motor up its rear and you would have the ultimate 3CH trainer...
ahaa i found a pix of my origonal free flighter with Mills .75 wich later was converted to single chanel along with a tyro slope soarer glider egads that was a long time ago pushy cat has the knack of finding thermals ,i often thought the swept wing helped steer her into them,lost her for 2 weeks and got a phone call that it had landed in a great guys backyard,so she came home to poppa all safe and sound
Old Nov 28, 2006, 04:19 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGiver
Gossie/olmod,

Jon Fletcher had some tanks, "aeroland" is his Ebay ID and he's pedantic with his stuff so you know it's good.

Cheers,
Yes, of course McGiver, good thinking. John Fletcher does have the Mills tanks and his addy is on Peter Lloyds site.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:21 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,513 Posts
As this is a conversion after some placing and ballance checks i decided to place some sg5 servo's in the boom towards the tailplane wich meant i have to perform a bit of surgery,i did move the hinge line of the fin further forward and added an extra thickness to the leading edge of the fin.I also modified the tailplane and made it a flat plate rather than the origonal lifting section.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 06:18 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,513 Posts
A bit more detail on the servos and controls, it would have been nice to hide them all away but as this is a first attempt to work out where to put everything to make it ballance right i will take short cuts and tidy it up on the next build.I do like double figure eight sewn hinges
Last edited by olmod; Nov 29, 2006 at 06:24 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2006, 12:55 PM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,130 Posts
Is it true the CG is in "mid air" somewhere behind the wing? I see X-list still has the plan for seven pounds fifty.I also have,original mills,irvine and the indian one. The strange thing is that here in south africa I have only seen the .75S (with cut out) makes me wonder if the distributor ever bought the P into the country.
Very nice though Olmod. Im a huge fan though of the lifting tail. Technicaly speaking,with a lifting tail section one should be able to include the tail area with the wing area when calculating loading... or not?
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Dec 02, 2006, 07:16 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,513 Posts
Yep you have the cg nailed with the mills you could place a finger underneath the crankshaft bearing housing and it should ballance ,with the extra weight of radio gear ect I went for the flat plate so i could try and keep the taiplane about the same weight, lifting tailplanes are a contributor to the overall lift ,but you dare not get the cg a little to far back as i learnt from experience ,the origonal wing design needs a revamp ,funny i had forgotten how hard it was to keep the darn thing true ,you will see some of my efforts in the pix ,I ended up putting in another main spar from underneath just behind the origonal wich is on top and that solved my problems.
Old Dec 02, 2006, 12:06 PM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,130 Posts
what covering is that olmod?
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks