HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2006, 07:26 PM
Mississauga, Ontario, CANADA
Joined Oct 2006
71 Posts
Discussion
Question about Range of Radio system

Hi all,

I am wondering if the range of a radio system is depended on the range of the receiver only or it depends on both receiver and transmitter?

Does transmitter has anything to do with the range of the radio system?

Whatever the answer it might be, does it apply to Spektrum radio also?

Thanks.

hhamzeh
hhamzeh is offline Find More Posts by hhamzeh
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2006, 07:32 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,357 Posts
Its depends on both the Rx and Tx most park flyers are good for aroun 600 mtrs but full range set are aroun 2 klm i'm not all that familiar with the spektrum but believe thay are full range .
SteveW who cant see his plane at 2 Klm
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:57 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
There are two Spektrum systems now, the DX6 and DX7. The DX6 is recommended for smaller parkflyer type planes and has less range than the DX7. The DX7 can be used for any R/C planes and has an extreme range. I've been flying the DX6 since it first came out and have specked out a 32" plane on it many times with no range issues.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Nov 27, 2006, 09:16 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhamzeh
Hi all,

I am wondering if the range of a radio system is depended on the range of the receiver only or it depends on both receiver and transmitter?

Does transmitter has anything to do with the range of the radio system?

Whatever the answer it might be, does it apply to Spektrum radio also?

Thanks.

hhamzeh
Range is a function of transmitter and receiver.

In practial terms, most 72 MHz RC transmitters have enough range to control a plane beyond 1 mile. Now, it falls to the receiver to hear the signal and to decode it properly throught the RF noise in the environment. Add to that obstructions that might block/blank/reduce the signal to the receiver. Things like carbon fiber fuselages, metal coverings, and other factors.

The Spektrum DX6 is a COMPLETELY different situation from the 72 MHz radios. Yes, range is still a function of transmitter and receiver but now we are transmitting and receiving on 2.4 GHz rather than 72 MHz. The signal responds differntly to obstrucions, interference and model materials. Likewise the receiver is a differnt type of design from those used in 72 MHz receivers.

The Spektrum DX7 is a completely different case again as it is different from the DX6 and all the 72 MHz systems. Its receiver is of a different design as well.

I doubt any of that answers your question, whatever you question might be.
Range is a function of many factors regardless of what radio system you mention.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 27, 2006, 09:48 PM
Joined Sep 2006
608 Posts
Farther than you can see your plane.
The L is offline Find More Posts by The L
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:51 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Spektrum is interesting, because although the DX6 does have a shorter range, it's still about a mile. The reason the DX6 is supposed to be a parkflier radio is that it's easy for a 2.4GHz receiver to be shadowed by parts of the plane, especially if there are big metal or carbon fiber parts in it. The DX7 gets around this by having two receivers that can be placed further apart.

But in short: yes, the range depends on everything, and with 2.4GHz that includes what the model is made of.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:12 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,369 Posts
The L,

Many recievers have ranges of under 1000 feet, so you have to be a bit careful about saying, " farther than you can see your plane".

Andrew,

The DX6 has a "rated range" of about 1500 feet. Based on all I read I would tell folks that 2000 is safe. Beyond that I think you are taking a risk. It will "likely" work at longer ranges, but to suggest that it is reliable at a mile is really pushing it.

My Futaba 9C/Hitec Supreme 8 might work at 2 miles but the combo is rated for 1 mile as its safe operating range.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr