HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2006, 03:23 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
Discussion
Cyclone's maiden video

Here a video of Cyclone's first day out. Not trimmed or piloted well, but it flew.

The rotors are two bladed, no flybar. They are set with 0 degrees initial incidence, and are designed to flex in the feather hinge. They should work identically inverted or right side up.

Don't be too critical. This is the very earliest stages of development.

Dan

Cyclone's maiden flight (1 min 26 sec)
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2006, 04:39 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,165 Posts
Interesting. I'd like to see more.
Perhaps the cameraman can move to the
"down sun" position?
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Nov 27, 2006, 05:01 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
There will be more flying and videos to come for sure.

The sun was a problem for me too. On the next flight I lost orientation, and with the bad "out of trim", it crashed. I'm waiting for new cf rod to fix the broken rotor before the fun can continue.

In the very short time I've had it in the air, I think I've noticed a farily significant increase in top end speed over the Vortex model which used 4 blade rotors. The disk loading is virtualy identical between the two craft. Not sure why there is a difference, but I think it may have to do with the shallow rotor disk angle on Cyclone???

Dan
Last edited by leadfeather; Nov 27, 2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:00 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Dan,

Way to go mate! Keep up the good work, R+D is great fun, always pushing the limits.
Richard Bach said " Don't argue about your limitations, if you do,you get to keep them."
Looking forward to your next news after repairs.
regards
Al (T)
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:12 AM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
I'm on Linux and can't play Flash(tm) :=( Do you have the video on any other format?

Ari.
iter is offline Find More Posts by iter
Old Nov 28, 2006, 01:33 AM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
635 Posts
Dan
I second the motion that Ari is suggesting. For some reason, My computer (Windows XP) will not allow me to view anything on youtube. I have the correct active scripting and flash player but for some reason - I cannot activate.
Gene
rchopper56 is online now Find More Posts by rchopper56
Old Nov 28, 2006, 05:01 AM
Restricted User
Frankfurt-region, Germany
Joined Mar 2003
1,450 Posts
Dan,
checked the video, a good start! Go on and proof your flapping blade idea, it's not far away from where you are.
Stephan
StephanB is online now Find More Posts by StephanB
Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:48 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
This link is to the .wmv file in the video gallery of this forum.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...06&postcount=1

Dan
Old Nov 28, 2006, 09:23 AM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
635 Posts
Dan,
Thank you for uploading the video file here at rcgroups. It looks very promising and hopefully in future video it will be flying inverted. Congratulations!
Gene
rchopper56 is online now Find More Posts by rchopper56
Old Nov 28, 2006, 09:47 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchopper56
Dan,
Thank you for uploading the video file here at rcgroups. It looks very promising and hopefully in future video it will be flying inverted. Congratulations!
Gene
The blades have no top or bottom so they should work equally well inverted. Also, I tried to get the thrustline, verticle cg and rotors lined up as closely as practical. The rotors have very little dhedral. This was done so that the model should behave with similar characteristics inverted as it does right side up. We'll see.

I am curious to know if the feathering flex of the rotors will work to compensate for assymetric lift. I am contemplating modifying the first prototype "Cyclone" into a single rotor "Cyclops" to try this out.

I am planning to do a build log for the finalized Cyclone when I build the second prototype.

I can do short video clips from my digital still camera. If their is interest I can post clips of some of the R&D such as drop tests of the rotors.

Dan
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:28 AM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Dan,

Thanks for posting the WMV. Looking good! (though I second Mickey's "downsun" comment :=) ).

Looking forward to more progress!

Ari.
iter is offline Find More Posts by iter
Old Dec 03, 2006, 08:30 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
Drop testing

I am planning on refining the flex feather (flexible feather hinge) blade design. One test I would like to use for comparing performance of different blade designs is a drop test.

I plan to keep the rotor diameter and test rig weight the same for all tests, and compare relative performance.

The performance part is what I am deliberating over now. Is it as simple as measuirng the rate of descent of the test rig once the blades are up to speed?

Dan