SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 27, 2006, 05:47 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,640 Posts
Build Log
GWS ME262 Build thread

I dont know why everyone is going on about how big GWS planes are getting, I expected this to be bigger! It doesnt look much bigger than the A10 in the flesh, I think its a really nice size compromise.

Got started on the first 262 tonight, thought I would tackle the fuselage first so I can work out battery position and sizing.

Before we get into it, I must say the quality of the kit is a step above what GWS has previously produced. The body is very solid and there has been more thought gone into the internal moulding to create strength. I felt no need to brace the fuselage at all, unlike the A10 which begs for reinforcement.

In fact I am in half a mind not to fibreglass the whole airframe! I was planning to glass the bird completely, but will reserve this decision once the airframe is in one piece and I can gauge the strength with the wing bolted in place.

Anyway, on with the build:

First picture shows area to be dremelled out of the battery compartment, I had thought about cutting the top of the fuse out to create a magnetic battery hatch (gotta get out of this habit of chopping noses off ) but dropped the idea as I would have to do too much work bracing the nose section due to the position of the wings LE retainer.

In order to fit the 4s2200 20c battery pack foam needs to be removed from the bottom of the battery tray. There is plenty of foam here, in fact enough to be able to do this mod and still have undercarriage if you wanted.

Second picture shows the battery sitting in the compartment, I opened up the rear of the compartment somewhat so I could slide the battery further back. This can be further opened up if needed once I have the main airframe together and can check where the COG is at.

The next pictures show the fuselage glued together along with the nose. The nose is a very clever design, with a little care you will have a perfectly fitting nosecone, the tolerances are very good straight out of the box. The battery compartment is almost finished, just needs some final sanding once the glue is set, so as to even up the two halves.

I have spent maybe 2-2.5 hours all up so far, this is a quick kit to build, and the fuse is huge in comparison to the A10. Heaps of room to lay out the electronics, the inside is quite shallow but very wide.

Next up will be assembly of the tail section but without gluing anything in permanently until I have decided on the glassing issue.

After this the wing will have its spars glued in, and then the spar joiner will be sorted. So far there has been brass tubing, and carbon fibre tow used to join the two front CF spars. This seems a little too much fiddling around to me, I will pick up some extra piano wire that just fits into the CF tube, then cut about 4 inches of it, bend it to shap and epoxy it into the spars as the wing is joined. Seems much more simple and exactly how most other companies join wings with this sort of dihedral setup!
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2006, 06:51 AM
Only one more Honey
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
1,197 Posts
Looking good Mark,

Is that plywood in a GWS kit, well I'll be.

Here's how I decide when to glass a kit, If I have to cut my finger nails before I build to stop them from denting the foam it needs to be glassed.
(you might consider tissue and 50/50 water and polyurethane no weave to fill)

I'm reading even word intently, keep it coming.

PS that 4s pack is a monster.

Lyndon
bidlynd is offline Find More Posts by bidlynd
Last edited by bidlynd; Nov 27, 2006 at 07:17 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 07:27 AM
Molded Hotliner Destroyer
Perth, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
1,720 Posts
Any chance of a Fan Balancing 101 Tutorial?
Magnum9 is offline Find More Posts by Magnum9
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:22 AM
It's a trap!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,143 Posts
Looking good so far. Brown paper might be another covering option.

Can you give some rough figures for the dimensions of this bird?
GotrekGurnisson is offline Find More Posts by GotrekGurnisson
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:56 AM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
excellent detail info... Will check it again tomorrow.

Call it a day!!!

Ray
RAY GWS is offline Find More Posts by RAY GWS
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:28 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,381 Posts
The GWS CEO was advertising them on the slope forum as a slope ship for $30 US of course , I did have a quite PM with him in regard to using GWS park flyers as slope ships and maybe GWS will look into producing a heavier more durable moulded EPP ship that can really be called a slope flyer . Unfortunatley they dont in their standard format fly worth a brass washer on the slope and are way to fragile . As a park flyer they met the task well as a slope flyer well not so good , anyway sorry for the slight thread hijack but carry on looking good so far
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:57 PM
It's a trap!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,143 Posts
To be honest I'd like to see them go EPP regardless of whether the intended end-use is park or slope. But I agree, most of their planes in "slope" config would only last a single outing on the slope I frequent.

Btw Steve, next time you are having a word to the CEO, mention that a De Havilland Mosquito would be a good addition to their stable.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 01:11 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,381 Posts
details as direct from GWSCEO
GWS262

Length: 842mm (33.1 in.)

Wing Span: 1050mm (41.34 in.)

Wing Area: 17dm (263.6 sq. in.)

Flying Weight: 790g (27.9 oz.)

Wing Loading: 46.5 g /dm (15.3 oz./sq. ft.)

Power System: EDF64-300H /EDF64-GWBLM005A (GWS2028/KV3900)

Battery:11.1V/ 1.3Ah(15c)~ 2.2Ah(10c) Li-Po 9.6V 1600mAh Ni-Mh

Servo : NARO *4

Receiver: R6NII / R8MSL

Speed controller :ICS600Li/ICS600/GWESC15A2

Radio Required: 4CH Channel radio or above

SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:17 PM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
is any one planning on building their's with retract's?
taxdodger is offline Find More Posts by taxdodger
Old Nov 27, 2006, 09:31 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,573 Posts
YEp, there is a guy on the GWS forum called rdeis, he's putting a set of spring-airs in his I believe.
I'm sittin back watching some good ideas come out before starting mine
Good idea Mark on the pianowire spar-joiner.

Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:20 PM
It's a trap!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,143 Posts
Ah just over a metre wingspan. That's a nice size. Bigger than I expected.

For tricycle undercarriage ideas you may want to chase down threads concerning other 262 models. I also noticed there's a build thread in the electric warbird forum for a pre-production FSK B-25 which includes some discussion of tricycle retracts. It's around the same size as the GWS 262.

Peter Papas here in Oz does some nice looking air retract actuators. They are a bit pricey for my tastes, but for you guys will to put down the sort of cash required for one of these Extreme 262s it may not be an issue. http://www.paps.com.au/Precision%20Aircraft.html
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:14 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,640 Posts
Actually the Extreme packages are not that expensive! The standard brushless setup with GWS motors is not an expensive excercise, and the Hyperion setup is probably the best bang for your buck you will get. The 4 cell setup is not something I expect many to opt for, but it is there for those who feel the need for extreme power
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:29 AM
kov
Inverell, Australia
Joined Nov 2005
141 Posts
Mark this is the way I see it. The more time you spend on here talking about the 262 the more time it will take for you to send me mine!! Please continue this thread at a later time. Im sure everyone does not mind waiting to hear more about it considering the lack of interest (PS This is a joke incase anyone is wondering)
kov is offline Find More Posts by kov
Old Nov 28, 2006, 01:05 AM
It's a trap!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC
Actually the Extreme packages are not that expensive! The standard brushless setup with GWS motors is not an expensive excercise, and the Hyperion setup is probably the best bang for your buck you will get. The 4 cell setup is not something I expect many to opt for, but it is there for those who feel the need for extreme power
$400 for a an EPS parkflyer is a bit too spicy for my wallet. But such things are relative to your resources I guess.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 05:31 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,640 Posts
Ok on with the build.

Tonight I looked at the power system installation, as this is something I needed to do for all versions of this plane so I can start shipping out the pre-ordered ones (kov gets his last )

First thing was to measure out the amount of wiring needed if the ESC's were fitted inside the fuselage. From motor to ESC would need to be 30cm!

This is not good, the length combined with the fact the wire is carrying AC would mean a need to have at least 16AWG silicon wire with the resultant weight penalty, and potential issue of RF noise and glitching.

Best scenario is to mount the esc's under the wings, this has been done by one of the taiwanese test pilots and is an excellent position. By using the existing wiring trench and making up the ESC's as a mirror image pair, the cutout needed in the foam is quite minimal. We dont want to completely bury the ESC's, just sink them into the wing leaving the FET's and heatsinks exposed, IE about half the ESC thickeness. Double sided tape will secure them nicely, should not be any issue with heat softening the tape!

This setup results in an extra 11cm of wire only, and for the Hyperion setup on 3 cells I can get away with the same teflon wiring I use in the A10 and SU27.

I made the Rx wire just long enough to pass through the wing into the fuse, it can either be connected to a Y lead, or if you want to run flaperons let me know and I will leave the Rx leads full length.

Battery leads out of the ESC's are also custom lengths, they protrude around 6cm past the inside of the wing, I plan to parallel them here and connect a deans plug for my setup, for ppl wanting to run the battery wires down to the nose I can supply extra wire.

Again the issue of wire length comes into play, running wire to the nose makes the battery leads quite long, even using 14AWG single run silicon from the two joined esc wires to the nose we are still adding around 16cm of wire. I am planning to connect my battery by sliding it in the nose, then plugging it into the wing wiring and screwing the wing on last. This will minimise all wiring runs, it may of course prove to be very annoying in which case I will extend the wires to the nose

Tommorrow I will assemble the wing with spars etc, then I am a bit stuck as I have run out of servos! Been cleaned out and the new stock is still almost 3 weeks away

Mark.
www.extremerc.com.au