HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2006, 02:32 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,392 Posts
Build Log
1/12 scale Spitfire Mk Vb- 36" span

Hiya warbird lovers.
I shall begin this by stating my objectives for this plane.
1- It must be a nice quick build, no messing around for years.
2- It must be a nice cheap build, Im a Scot and dont like spending money I dont have
3- It must be as scale a representation as is practically possible with my resources and skills.
4- It must put a HUGE grin on my face when building/flying it.
There, now on to the build..........
rcminiman is offline Find More Posts by rcminiman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2006, 02:39 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,392 Posts
I began by tracing the frames onto greaseproof paper, removing 1mm from around all the edges where the fuselage is to be sheeted, and transferring it to 3mm (1/8th) balsa for the nose sections, and 2mm balsa for the tail sections.
I cut them out using a bandsaw.
This is how it looked at these stages-

I then cut them in half, removing the width of the keel (3mm), and cut out the inside edges using the bandsaw again.
I now had a full set of fuselage section halfs.
I then traced the keel outlines out where I wanted them, and cut them out as well.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 02:40 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,732 Posts
Well - get on with it

I'll be watching..........Pat

Curses - you beat me to it - interesting method.
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Nov 27, 2006, 02:43 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,392 Posts
I pinned the keel outlines to the drawing I have, and glued one side of formers to it using thin cyano and kicker.
I unpinned it, then proceeded to glue the other halfs to the keel.
I now had my spitfire shape.
Time for a break to admire it..
Old Nov 27, 2006, 02:44 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,392 Posts
Be paitient Pat, Im typing with both fingers!!!!!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 02:53 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,392 Posts
I then took some words of advice, and instead of planking it completely, I would try sheeting as much as possible. By using cyano kicker, you can bend and shape balsa. Spray it on and give it a good soaking before bending and forming it into shape.

I tack glued a piece of wood up the center to ensure it was all kept straight and true whilst sheeting This was removed before these pics, but it worked.
I applied the two side sheets in one go, working from the tail towards the nose, frame by frame.
There are only 5 pieces of sheet on the fuselage at this stage. I will plank the difficult curves under the nose area. This is the stage it is at now. Planking is due to be done tonight.
Barry
Old Nov 27, 2006, 03:49 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,660 Posts
Nice job on the sheeting. I wouldn't have thought you could make it conform to the compound curves on the Spitfire. How thick is your sheeting, and could you go into a little more detail regarding your use of the CA "kicker"? I've got some of the stuff around here somewhere but I've never used it...

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Nov 27, 2006, 03:53 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,030 Posts
Looking good Barry, ditto Steve's question, are you using slow cyano?

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Nov 27, 2006, 04:07 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,392 Posts
Sorry guys, more info-
I use ordinary cyano, just thick and thin stuff for different jobs. The cyano "kicker" is just a spray tin of accelerator. I always use it, cos im too impatient to wait a couple of seconds for cyano to dry. I could have another part fitted in that time!

The sheeting is 1.5mm, or 1/16".
I spray the kicker onto the part I want bent, making sure it is thouroughly soaked, then immediately start to bend it to shape, working quickly before it evaporates, and tack gluing it where I want it to be. When its evaporated, I wick some thin cyano into the join with a cocktail stick as an applicator, then another shot of kicker to seal the deal. Its done, and time to move onto the next former.
If you soak the balsa, then hold it in shape till the kicker dries, it also keeps its shape quite well. I made up the radiator scoop on my hurricane like this.
I used to use ammonia to soak planks for building boats, untill I found cyano activator did the same thing and evaporated quicker. I hate doing nothing!
Hope that cleared it up a wee bit. Any Q's, please ask. I may forget some details as im going.
Barry
Old Nov 27, 2006, 05:20 AM
Joined Jan 2000
3,030 Posts
I'm impressed with the way the sheet has gone around the bulges for the Merlin on the upper part of the nose, well done At the rate you are building we are going to run out of aircraft types by the end of next year. How are you going to manage to fly all these models?

Mike
Old Nov 27, 2006, 05:31 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,392 Posts
He He, I'll never run out of types of aircraft. I'll just build another Hurricane if I cant think of anything else!
I do have a problem with radio gear though. I have to keep swapping it between planes to keep them flying.
I should have an airframe sale so I can afford some new radio gear/motors for others.
I havent got a clue as to what I'll be powering this with.
If I can make it lighter than my Hurricane, I can buy another bell motor for this one and keep both in flying condition.
Otherwise, I can use a himax 2015 that I have in a wemotec microfan. I use it with a GWS B ratio gearbox, and it dont half pull like a train!
Im glad you like the merlin head bumps. They are the part I most feared when thinking about the build in the first place.
Barry
Old Nov 27, 2006, 09:07 PM
Penang, Malaysia
Joined Jun 2002
414 Posts
Hi Barry

That is really quick work. Love the way you churn out the formers. You must have had difficulty cutting them without cracking a few. The sheeting over the bumps in front is also well done. I had to use a block balsa when I did mine. Never thought it possible to sheet at that angle. But there you go and did it.

Regards
YEAP CHIN POH is offline Find More Posts by YEAP CHIN POH
Old Nov 28, 2006, 02:49 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,392 Posts
Hi Yeap. I was happy to get it to this stage so quickly. I could have been planking it for days and days if I hadnt tried sheeting it.

Planking is finished!!
I didnt get much time to spend on the spit last night, but I managed to complete the planking at the nose area. I used 2mm balsa, as opposed to 1.5 for the other sheeting. This is so I can sand it smooth after planking, and still leave the thickness at 1.5mm afterwards. It worked, and its as smooth as a babies bottom.
I now have to decide if im going to tackle the wing, or the tail next. The planking around the nose and sheeting needs to be trimmed yet for the wing seat, and wing doublers added before I can remove sections of the keel that are in the way.
I will have to go into profili as well, and print out wing sections.
What was the full size airfoil on the Spitfire? Is it worthwhile for me to use it?
Thanks,
Barry
Old Nov 28, 2006, 03:15 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,562 Posts
Nice job Barry.
Can't help with the techo bits - sorry
Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Nov 28, 2006, 03:52 AM
Joined Jan 2000
3,030 Posts
Barry,

The only references I can find say NACA 2200.

Mike