HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 26, 2006, 09:33 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2006
25 Posts
Discussion
Alfa model p-51 mustang "balloning" effect??

Hey guys just finished up a alfa models p-51D mustang that i got for my bday....for the first maiden the plane wants to climb clim climb on its own under full power! I followed all instructions and went through all diagrams a 100 times...i have the recommend 2mm up on the ailerons too. How would i be able to fix this with out mixing in some elevator as i throttle up? Dont get me wrong, the plane looks great but the auto climb makes the plane hard to fly. Anyone out there with P-51 experience? Oh i've tried also the down thrust and right thrust optoins as well, but dont know how much is needed for the plane to actually feel its effects, i have 2mm of this thrust. Thanks in advance for all that reply!
DeuUaH is offline Find More Posts by DeuUaH
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2006, 09:39 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2006
89 Posts
Try taking the 2 mm off the ailerons. if that doesnt work well then try mixing (if you can)on your controller a little down elevator when you have full throttle.
GWS mustang is offline Find More Posts by GWS mustang
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 09:48 PM
Maz
Mig Killer
Maz's Avatar
Broadview Heights, Oh, USA
Joined Mar 2004
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuUaH
Hey guys just finished up a alfa models p-51D mustang that i got for my bday....for the first maiden the plane wants to climb clim climb on its own under full power! I followed all instructions and went through all diagrams a 100 times...i have the recommend 2mm up on the ailerons too. How would i be able to fix this with out mixing in some elevator as i throttle up? Dont get me wrong, the plane looks great but the auto climb makes the plane hard to fly. Anyone out there with P-51 experience? Oh i've tried also the down thrust and right thrust optoins as well, but dont know how much is needed for the plane to actually feel its effects, i have 2mm of this thrust. Thanks in advance for all that reply!

I had the same problem with mine. I think I have 3 washer on the top bolt in between the motor and firewall. This helped, but I still have to fly with the elevator down about and 1/8 of an inch. I also have my cg forward of the recommended cg. Once you get this plane dialed in, it will be your best flying plane.


Dave
Maz is offline Find More Posts by Maz
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 09:56 PM
Registered User
alienx's Avatar
Union County, New Jersey
Joined Apr 2006
990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz
I had the same problem with mine. I think I have 3 washer on the top bolt in between the motor and firewall. This helped, but I still have to fly with the elevator down about and 1/8 of an inch. I also have my cg forward of the recommended cg. Once you get this plane dialed in, it will be your best flying plane.


Dave
I did just what Maz said too. I had just about an 1/8" of down elevator in it to get it trimmed. Mine flew with the large MP Jet blue motor and an APC 8x6 SF prop. It flew very nicely after you got used to the tendency to climb. It's a good looking bird in the air too. I had the Marie.

Enjoy the plane!
alienx is offline Find More Posts by alienx
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 05:24 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2006
25 Posts
are there any threads that cover this problem??? If anyone knows of this please list the links? thanks guys
DeuUaH is offline Find More Posts by DeuUaH
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 05:37 PM
Registered User
Fort Payne, Al
Joined Aug 2004
129 Posts
try shimming the front of the wing so that angle of incidence is slightly and add more downthrust to the motor.
bullwinkle9 is offline Find More Posts by bullwinkle9
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 05:38 PM
Registered User
Fort Payne, Al
Joined Aug 2004
129 Posts
more downthrust to the motor is probably the anser if the plane flies level shortly after power off.
bullwinkle9 is offline Find More Posts by bullwinkle9
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:13 AM
Reserved Parking
P-51C's Avatar
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
I have the B model, and it does it also. Shimming the motor really didn't take care of it on mine.

This is discussed in various alfa threads on here, I think most of the conclusions have been that the mustangs just don't fly as well as some of the other alfas.
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:22 AM
Registered User
alienx's Avatar
Union County, New Jersey
Joined Apr 2006
990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51C
I have the B model, and it does it also. Shimming the motor really didn't take care of it on mine.

This is discussed in various alfa threads on here, I think most of the conclusions have been that the mustangs just don't fly as well as some of the other alfas.
I didn't get any benefit from the shim either. I just trimmed with down elevator and then got used to flying with down stick everytiem I came out of a dive. The plane flies fine, just wants to pop up. But you get used to it just like any other plane's subtle characteristics.
alienx is offline Find More Posts by alienx
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 01:58 PM
Reserved Parking
P-51C's Avatar
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
The problem I had was that with the down elevator, it behaved quite differently at low speed vs flight speed. In order to launch, I would have to trim the elevator level, then adjust it down again. I found out the hard way that if you forgot, and left it trimmed down during launch that the nose smashes quite a bit.
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 02:07 PM
Registered User
alienx's Avatar
Union County, New Jersey
Joined Apr 2006
990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51C
The problem I had was that with the down elevator, it behaved quite differently at low speed vs flight speed. In order to launch, I would have to trim the elevator level, then adjust it down again. I found out the hard way that if you forgot, and left it trimmed down during launch that the nose smashes quite a bit.
I did have to be attentive on launch as well. But I could always launch and then get on the elevaotr. Scary the first time you do it though.
alienx is offline Find More Posts by alienx
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 02:24 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2006
25 Posts
cant u combat this by just mixing down elevator when u go to full throttle?
DeuUaH is offline Find More Posts by DeuUaH
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 04:21 PM
Registered User
alienx's Avatar
Union County, New Jersey
Joined Apr 2006
990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuUaH
cant u combat this by just mixing down elevator when u go to full throttle?
I guess you could. I never bothered. If launch is a worry, just launch a little higher than level.
alienx is offline Find More Posts by alienx
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 04:27 PM
Registered User
Mike Smart's Avatar
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,049 Posts
I would second taking the 2mm up off of the ailerons.

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 05:39 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2006
25 Posts
Hey Mike....really? Take the 2mm off the ailerons? I had thought that with the 2mm up on the ailerons they were trying to fix this ballooning....something about wing defection or something? You are the second person that has told me to get rid of this too but im still hesitant to do so....im totally confused now!! So what does what?
DeuUaH is offline Find More Posts by DeuUaH
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Alfa P-51 Mustang Greg Covey Electric Plane Talk 13 Feb 18, 2006 03:02 PM
Yippee! New Alfa Model P-51D Mustang! ManWithNoName Electric Plane Talk 0 Jun 01, 2004 06:12 PM
Alfa P-51 Mustang jmerino Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 May 31, 2004 02:30 PM
Alfa P-51 Mustang dave_lilley Parkflyers 9 Jun 09, 2003 12:39 PM
Alfa P-51 Mustang dave_lilley Site Chat 0 Feb 20, 2003 10:21 AM