HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2002, 04:20 PM
Where do I glue the smoke
Geneseo NY
Joined Aug 2002
258 Posts
Tip-toe'd back over to the dark side today...

What a day. It is in the mid 70's, crystal clear blue sky's, not a stitch of wind, and I had today off! I dragged out as many of my slimers as I could fit in the truck today and headed out to the field. Had a fantastic day burning holes in the sky and brought everything back in the same condition it went. Then after puting all the glow stuff away, I grabbed my slowstick and flew a few photo-shoot flights. I'll tell you, park flyers are lots of fun, convenient, and clean, but there just isn't anything like a screaming slimer to keep the heart pumping. Well, it is still very nice out, and the leaves on the trees aren't fluttering, so I guess I better get some more flying in before the 'big guy upstairs' realizes that he forgot to turn on the wind here in Geneseo NY!
davidmor is offline Find More Posts by davidmor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2002, 05:01 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==but there just isn't anything like a screaming slimer to keep the heart pumping==

In comparison to your slow stick maybe. You should get out to a big electrics event and see some of the brushless craft people are flying. A brushless pylon racer, F3E, pattern plane or even Projeti can give you the heart attack you're looking for! And without all the muss and fuss.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Sep 06, 2002, 06:09 PM
Where do I glue the smoke
Geneseo NY
Joined Aug 2002
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tres Wright
==but there just isn't anything like a screaming slimer to keep the heart pumping==

In comparison to your slow stick maybe. You should get out to a big electrics event and see some of the brushless craft people are flying. A brushless pylon racer, F3E, pattern plane or even Projeti can give you the heart attack you're looking for! And without all the muss and fuss.
Oh I know that there are some amazing electrics out there, I have seen them fly including pylon racers that will make your head spin, but there is just something about the noise of an IC engine that gets me going.

The reason I got into park flyers is so I could fly at home in a smallish area. There ain't no way to do that with my glows!
I do however love flying my electrics even if the fastest one I have is a crazy max! There really is something to be said about not having anything to clean up after a day of flying. And there also is something to be said for 'quiet' flying. With the quality of batteries, motors, and chargers today, I get longer flight times with some of my parkies than I can get with my glows.
davidmor is offline Find More Posts by davidmor
Old Sep 07, 2002, 09:57 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,622 Posts
There's a place for all kinds of powerplants in this hobby.

I love my Goldberg Cub on Floats, hearing the "put-put" of that Saito 4 stroke as it pops it off the water.

My stable: 4 electrics, 2 glow.

David
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Old Sep 08, 2002, 12:47 PM
Stow, MA
Joined Mar 2002
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davidmor

The reason I got into park flyers is so I could fly at home in a smallish area. There ain't no way to do that with my glows!
I do however love flying my electrics even if the fastest one I have is a crazy max! There really is something to be said about not having anything to clean up after a day of flying
Dave,

I hear you! I'm a slimer at heart too, and while I enjoy my electric park flyers they are no substitute for my glow Extra 300. My park flyers give me a way to enjoy the hobby close to home when I can't get to the club field (30 minutes away). They are fun to fly, clean, and have little "overhead time." I just pull them out and fly. But when I have the choice, I end up going back to my slimers for an afternoon of flying.

Carl
cfossa is offline Find More Posts by cfossa
Old Sep 08, 2002, 02:59 PM
Fish & Fly
Tyler, TX USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,406 Posts
Nothin' wrong with doin' both. A matter of personal preference. The only frustration I have is with those few (usually older) glow flyers who make ignorant comments when the subject of electric flight comes up.

I must admit,there are times that I've been tempted after watching a really nifty glow plane fly well, but so far I've remained pure and slime-free.

Plenty of adrenaline pumps through my bod when flying a TwinJet or Wattage Sukhoi (even on their stock setups). It's not unusual to catch and pass some of the glow planes with the TJ while in the pattern.
DaJudge is offline Find More Posts by DaJudge
Old Sep 09, 2002, 11:31 AM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,622 Posts
Carl:

Have you had a chance to see (or fly) a Switchback or Laser 3D with a direct drive system? Do everything your Extra does, but you can do it at the park down the street.

David
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Old Sep 09, 2002, 09:48 PM
Stow, MA
Joined Mar 2002
1,005 Posts
Fliir:

No, I have not flown a Switchback 3D. But, I think it will be my next electric plane. My GWS Zero will not last forever, and I'll need a home for it's electronics. From the threads I've read, the SB3D is the way to go.

Thanks,

Carl

... still a slimer at heart but enjoying my parkflyers
cfossa is offline Find More Posts by cfossa