HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2006, 04:41 PM
Seville San Pablo, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
27 Posts
Discussion
somebody can tell me how to get more rpm of one Speed 400 6 V Please?????

Hi all
I am using the Graupner Speed 400 6V and QRP 400 6V for F5D and I would like to get more rpm and more power at this motors , someone know how I can modify it???
Thank you
Regards.
Belfenson.
Belfenson is offline Find More Posts by Belfenson
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2006, 07:31 PM
O. C. CA
Joined Jan 2005
816 Posts
The only way I know is to apply more voltage to this motor, if you have timed it already. Of course the motor will not last long if you put too much voltage to it. Good luck

Himeros
himeros is offline Find More Posts by himeros
Old Nov 26, 2006, 09:23 PM
Joined Dec 2005
31 Posts
rewind it with less turns, speed is proportional to that.
but on high speed you will get more magnetic loses, for my it was speed limiting factor.

better way is ass suggested before, increase voltage, speed is proportional to voltage too. it is completely safe for motor(if you keep same load) but too much voltage can break motor controller.
Digix is offline Find More Posts by Digix
Old Nov 27, 2006, 05:08 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
I've run 6v 400's reliably on 3s LIPO for years. The theoretical best power is up around 70K RPM and 40v....however no one expects the brushes to be able to stay in contact at that RPM.

If F5D allows 4s LIPO, try that with as deep gearing as you can buy.

On 3s LIPO I use 4:1 boxes and 10x7 props. Very good power and efficiency.

On 4s something like an 8x4.5 folder on 4:1 should be in range. Prop for about 7-8A only.

No guarantees. Uncharted territory. But you should be able to get 150W at about 70% efficiency maybe..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Nov 27, 2006, 05:38 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,751 Posts
I assume this is for S400 6V stock pylon racing.

- Advance the timing by twisting the end cap in the direction of motor rotation.
- Buy lots of motors and test them under load to find the "good" ones. The load should probably be a slightly smaller prop to allow for unloading in the air.
- Use good batteries,a low resistance controller, short wires and low resistance connectors. Get as much power as possible to the motor.
- Use the batteries hot off the charger. Voltage for Nimh is much higher if the cells start the discharge at 140 F/ 60 C. Not quite as dramatic for NiCd but the effect is there.

Any other change to the motor and it will cease to be a 6V S400.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:09 AM
USA, NY, Syracuse
Joined May 2005
874 Posts
Here my post on this, follow the links and you'll see not all can motors are the same inside.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436918
beer-man is offline Find More Posts by beer-man
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:35 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
pmackenzie

Are you sure about advancing the timing by rotating the endbell in the direction of motor rotation?

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Nov 28, 2006, 04:31 PM
Beaverdam Creek, VA
Joined Aug 2005
2,322 Posts
You need to turn the end plate against the direction of rotation to advance the timing.

Good Luck!
BeavrdamElectric is offline Find More Posts by BeavrdamElectric
Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:47 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,751 Posts
Oops!

Obviously been a while since I timed a motor !

I was perhaps thinking of Astro motors where you turn the flux ring in the direction of rotation.

Just to be sure I will break out a buggy motor and double check.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie