SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:51 AM
Joined May 2006
104 Posts
Discussion
how much money

ha guys

im geting in to the rc plane thing lots of crashes
I may be puting my head in a bit but how much have you guys spent on repairs on your rc plane please tell id like to know what im geting in too

I spent 174$
rc dude is offline Find More Posts by rc dude
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:53 AM
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Jan 2006
1,102 Posts
I have probably that much invested in glue alone

gofish
gofish is offline Find More Posts by gofish
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:19 AM
Pasadena, CA
Joined Jun 2003
3,182 Posts
The greatest planes for low crash damage, and low repair cost are EPP. Like the zagi type wings with electric pusher motors. Or maybe the "miracle":

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/miracle.htm
derway is offline Find More Posts by derway
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:28 AM
K4UAV
Miami, FL
Joined Jul 2003
1,749 Posts
May not be what you want to hear, but it all depends on the plane and severity of the crash... Some balsa planes can be fixed with $1 or $2 of balsa and scraps of covering. My last plane required $20 worth of fiberglass, $30 carbon fiber, $100 worth of epoxy resin, $20 filler, $20 paints and $30 covering. But now I have lotsa glass and epoxy for the next repairs so the next few will be free!
-dave
dalbert02 is offline Find More Posts by dalbert02
Old Nov 26, 2006, 02:30 PM
Watch out for that TREE!
Houston, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
1,458 Posts
I've got 3 people learning on a SS. In just less than 6 weeks, I've spent maybe $65 on repairs. Props & gear boxes mostly.
GD5015 is offline Find More Posts by GD5015
Old Nov 26, 2006, 03:16 PM
ParkFlyer
Joined Nov 2005
754 Posts
with the slowstick, props and gearboxes are pretty much the only thing that brakes.
xFxLxYxExR is offline Find More Posts by xFxLxYxExR
Old Nov 26, 2006, 04:03 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
Last week I experienced a suspected receiver failure. First in a very long time but it does happen. The result was a destroyed airplane--a mangled ESC--a destroyed battery pack--and a damaged servo. The total cost of the crash----about $350. I didn't include the cost of the receiver because I will send it to the manufacturer for analysis to verify that it was the cause. If it is beyond repair the cost will grow by another $60.

Ain't flyin model planes fun???
BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Nov 26, 2006, 04:12 PM
Hmm, kerosene... :)
Weert(LB) - the Netherlands
Joined May 2002
953 Posts
You really don't want to know this...

two years ago, we crashed on of these : http://www.teampluvier.nl

Stopped counting the $$ after that
NightSwan is offline Find More Posts by NightSwan
Old Nov 26, 2006, 04:38 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Never put a dollar amount to it!!

I will quickly find that yourself depressed once you realize how much you've spent...

As for cost of fixing a plane... I'm not trying to be harsh, but if it cost to much to fix, then your flying the wrong plane...

As a beginner, you should be flying a very simple made plane. Something made from EPP or some other type of foam that can be easily fixed with store bought epoxy or foam safe CA. In several cases, clear packing tape will do wonders as well!! There are several well built balsa trainers out there, but balsa just doesn't bounce like foam... If you have an instructor flying with you on a buddy box, then balsa shouldn't be too bad. If not, then foam is much better.

I'm not a big foam flyer, but there are several foam planes that look very nice in both the trainer and sport/3d varieties. Once you find that your spending way more time flying then fixing, then it's probably safe to move up to a more fragile/costlier model.

Lastly, and again, I'm not trying to be harsh or rude, but this is NOT a hobby for someone that is concerned about spending money. gofish is right by stating that he has more then that in glue. This is an expensive hobby... with expensive toys comes expensive accidents.

It can be an affordable hobby if approached correctly. I've got a Superfly wing that I have maybe $130 in (including lipos), I can bounce this thing off the ground, dust it off and toss it back in the air for more flying. I also have a few large 60+ inch e-conversions that I rather not think about the cost of. These don't bounce so well. I know if something happens to them, It will cost dearly, but I'm prepared for that, if it should ever happy.
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Nov 26, 2006, 06:13 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSwan
You really don't want to know this...

two years ago, we crashed on of these : http://www.teampluvier.nl

Stopped counting the $$ after that
"WE?" Meaning you? I bet that hurt.
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Nov 26, 2006, 08:23 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
As a newbie, you just have to pick the right plane to learn with. I have 78 flights and 17 hours on my Aerobird Challenger and I've spent $23 on a new main wing and tail feathers. I could have gotten away with only $9 + $3 for a carbon fiber arrow shaft if I had used the shaft in the original wing before buying a replacement. Since I had a hard cartwheel with the replacement wing that folded it, I'm again flying the folded 3 times, half ripped to shreds from the prop, chunk of tree branch still wedged in the foam, 4 pounds (exagerated) of packing tape original wing with the CF arrow shaft imbedded in it now.

I got the idea of keeping a log from someone else here. So, including purchasing the plane, picking up an extra prop just because I was at the shop, 3 sets of AA tx batteries, the new wing and tail, and arrow shaft, I'm running at $0.14 per minute of flying cost.

I have crashed many many many times with this plane. I've pulled it out of the ground after nosing it in about 5 inches. I've wacked it out of several trees. Pretty cheap repair (the $23 for wing, or $12 without the second wing) for how many times I've crashed.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:14 PM
KY
Joined Aug 2004
257 Posts
Get a cheap simulator like Clearview or even one of the higher end sims and it will save you lots of $$$ and easily pay for itself if you are a novice.

After that I like the Stryker F-27C http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522624 a lot for durability. The F-27B would probably be better for a novice. These birds are really tough foam planes that are a lot of fun to fly. I just got back into flying after many years away and I have an Extra 300E http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/extra300e.html which would be easy to totally destroy with a simple crash and I just got the Stryker F-27C .

I was talking to someone while flying the Stryker on high rates and nosed it in at a 45 deg angle today at around 50mph or more. It ejected the battery about 30 feet from the plane and I thought for sure it was going to be in many pieces. When I got there the plane had no damage except that the battery cover needs to be glued back in place and the nose got a chunk out which could easily be glued back in place. All in all a 10 cent repair for a spectacular crash. Amazing. Even if you do trash parts of the plane they are pretty cheap to replace http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...one_f27cparts/ The battery, receiver, speed control and motor are all well protected and cushoned by the foam.

I'd hate to think of what would happen to the Extra if I crashed it even lightly. It would be toast and would require complete replacement.

I think if you flew the stryker B at a large field with relatively low control throws and not high speed it would be okay for a novice with some simulator time. I proved today that the Stryker C can take a huge crash with almost no damage and no cost other than a few drops of foam safe CA glue. Like derway said... the EPP pusher type planes are really durable and cheap to fix.
Silver Bullet is offline Find More Posts by Silver Bullet
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:35 PM
....PieMaster....
United States, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Aug 2004
695 Posts
Just fly it and dont worry about the cost. I quit keeping up with the cost after the first crash.

Kenny
kave_man is offline Find More Posts by kave_man
Old Nov 27, 2006, 03:42 AM
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Jan 2006
1,102 Posts
If I kept a log on what my costs are to keep my planes flying, well, I wouldn't be continuing the hobby. Now if the wife found this log book, I would surely get a sound thrashing, along with the "no more" routine.

gofish
gofish is offline Find More Posts by gofish
Old Nov 27, 2006, 05:04 AM
Keep it up, I'm reloading
In my home
Joined Jan 2006
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbSkull
Never put a dollar amount to it!!
I agree, never count the cost!!!

This hobby is very addicting and you may get caught up in it as well........
WACOFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WACOFlyer