Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 26, 2006, 08:20 AM
Petagas, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
Joined Sep 2003
489 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Adding Moveable surfaces to Clearview using Blender

I had succeeded in giving moveable surfaces to my small Su-37 plane based on Ken's import from FMS.

I started with a Firebird2, my only real expereince with flying, adding a moveable propeller.

Blender is well equipped although very quirky in its user interface.

The main problem is with the import and export of ac3d files. It cannot import ac3de groups but can export its parent relationship as groups.

In Blender, use the parenting facility, not grouping.
In creating nested groups requird by Clearview, make the XYZGroup into a group by choosing one of the member as a parent first.

You can duplicate this group by first selecting all members, including its parent. Not enough to just select the parent.

When combining with the moveable surfaces, select the parent of the XYZGroup first(its name will be one of the member, such as ZCoord.xxx). Then select the moveable surface to be combined with, then ctrl-P in order to for a grouping.

Blender does not allow dupilicate file names, even in diffrent groups/parenthood.

Blender can append from existing blender files of 3d objects as a library input. I used this facility to import an XYZGroup from Clearview's 25% edge.

After all this has finished, you need to select all objects, before exporting to ac3d files.

We must do a lot of text editing in order to rename the XYZGroup names from the member's name in Blender, and to remove extra .xxx added by Blender into 3d object names which have similar names as other groups.

Using ac3d will be much easier but Blender is free.

One final note: Clearview does not accept Ruder1 or duplicate Ruder names for the 2nd rudder for the Su37. We must use Ruder2. Note the case and misspelling of the names. Clearview is sensitive to case when it needs the names to be manipulated such as in implementing the moveable surfaces.

Clearview is supposed to be equipped with elevon, which is important for the Firebird 2, V-tail control surfaces but not sure how well it goes.

Next, I'd like to implement Nelson's Su27 moveable tail control surfaces, as Elevons.
othmanskn is offline Find More Posts by othmanskn
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2006, 06:03 AM
Joined Sep 2003
489 Posts
Tips on using blender, before I forget:
1. Only 3 windows, spanning the whole horizontal screen, but each one can be turned into any of the 7 menu screens.
2. The lower window shall rotate in outline view for easy selection and button view for other options.

3. Active window is only where the mouse cursor is. Short-cut keys don't work.

4. In 3D window, additional selection is shift-RMB,

5. In outline view, shift-LMB.

Get the reference manual for these keys to optimise Blender use.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 09:40 AM
Joined Sep 2003
489 Posts
The XYZGroup must be installed in their default positions.
Clearview will determine whether the surfaces move from X to Y coordinates or vice versa, based on their names.

If these groups are recognised by Clearview, they will be made invisible. No need to make them transparent which still created shadows anyway.

I had succeeded in creating an all moving tail elevons.

Initailly failed to cut surfaces but just by selecting all vertices and operating the P key, i.e. separate, "all loose surfaces", it managed to detach the elevators from its body.

The parts are almost all there to make crashed and stress damage simulations to Clearview. If the Gs are too high, the wings and control surfaces can detach.

Although they are not of high priority, it is nice to know that it can be implemented rather easily by Clearview that already has the basic infrastructure.

I'm testing a few editors and string searchers, that can take out Blender's automatically appended .00? extensions to similar names.

Crimson Editor with its regular expression search looks promising.
InfoRapid search and replace, is even more impressive. It allows searches through files, that even gnu grep and Windows search, failed.

I may not have time to polish this manual. Busy creating models. With such ease in drawing and modifying models, more people should be able to create their own 3D models. With free blender, there is little excuse not to do so.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 02:47 PM
UN Earth peoples true enemy
Euroland
Joined Jan 2004
1,797 Posts
Excellent stuff i have been working on similar themes but prefer to use flight gear

Excellent stuff I have been working on similar themes but prefer to use flight gear

the blender program is free difficult to use initally and worth the effort if you need a good free cad system which can also do game simulations and filming

I only want the blender to export what i need to flight gear also a free open source flight simulator program www.flightgear.com and some ezoners help make flight gear

I will study what you have done
for starters i just want to move s implex cube from blender to flight gear and then later try to do that with the corballa or .DAE files as that seems to be the new up and coming file tranfedr format mostly cause SONY made it and it is sorta the new standard and is free also not sure it open source though

Ralf
treehog is offline Find More Posts by treehog
Old Dec 01, 2006, 01:36 AM
Joined Sep 2003
489 Posts
I manged to add the XYZGroup into blender and exporting it to Clearview without any text editing. The problem is that I can only do it for one XYZGroup.

It is done by creating an XYZGroup vertex by copying the OCoord vertex, and parenting all others to this vertex, i.e. XYZGroup.

If you have more than 1, cannot be helped, because blender will automatically append .001 etc the duplicate names.