SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2002, 01:36 PM
Mission Viejo, California
Joined Jan 2002
139 Posts
New prototype from China

Other than Beriev, the Chinese are the only ones that came out with a new flying boat in the last five years... Interesting prototype to model. Pictures and detail follow....

SH-5 Amphibian Aircraft

NAME:
Chinese name: Shuishang Hongzha-5 or Shuihong-5
Westernised name: PS-5

TYPE: Four-engine turboprop maritime reconnaissance and patrol flying boat

MANUFACTURER: Harbin Aircraft Manufacturing Corporation (HAMC)

PROGRAMME: The SH-5 was developed by the HAMC in the 1960s/70s to replace the ageing Be-6 'Madge' amphibian aircraft in the PLA Navy. The programme was approved by the Chinese givernment in 1968 and the first prototype was completedly in 1971 and the first water test was carried out in 1975. The first flight of the SH-5 took place on 3rd April 1976 and the aircraft entered service in 1986 as the PLA Navy's dedicated maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine amphibian.

The type's development was seriously delayed by the Cultural Revolution, which explains in part why a type that entered service comparatively recently has an elderly engine type and unpressurized accommodation. This last is no hindrance in the SH-5's low-altitude patrol regime, but means that transit flights between base and any distant operational area have to be flown at comparatively low altitude and therefore reduced speed.

Some SH-5s have been converted for firefighter roles, which can carry 8 tons water in the cabin.

DESIGN FEATURES: Developed in China on the basis of the wings and powerplant of the Shaanxi Y-8 (chinese copy of soviet AN-32) combined with the empennage of the Beriev Be-12 'Mail' and a new fuselage/hull combination clearly owing much to that of the Japanese Shin Meiwa US-1A , the SH-5 is of all-metal construction with a single-step hull, a high-set wing, a high-set dihedralled taiplane with endplate vertical surfaces, and retractable tricycle landing gear with single-wheel main units and a twin-wheel nose unit. The wing has a flat, contant-chord center section that includes the inner two engines, and then increasing anhedral on the two tapered outer panels on each side.

POWER PLANT: Four Dongan (DEMC) Wojiang-5A1 turboprops, each rated at 3,150 ehp. Internal fuel capacity is 13,417 kg, with no external fuel tanks available.

AVIONICS: Basic radio communication and navigation equipment. Plus (offensive sensors) Doppler search radar with its antenna in a nose 'thimble', MAD in a tail 'sting' and sonobuoys in a rear-fuselage dispenser, and (cabin displays) acoustic data processing system and tactical display system, and (navigation) INS

WEAPONS: Two 23 mm Type 23-1 cannon in a dorsal turret. Up to 6,000 kg of disposable stores carried in a rear-fuselage weapon bay rated at 6,000 kg and on four hardpoints (all under the wings). The weapon bay carries mines, depth charges or bombs, while the underwing hardpoints are used for two C-101 or similar anti-ship missiles on the inner units and up to six lightweight homing torpedoes, depth charges or other disposable weapons on the outer units.
microflyer77 is offline Find More Posts by microflyer77
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2002, 01:47 PM
Joined Jan 2002
139 Posts
World's smallest supersonic fighter (LCA-India)

Something for delta-jet aficionados
Old Sep 06, 2002, 01:58 PM
Joined Jan 2002
139 Posts
New Chinese Fighter J-10

A bit bigger than the F-16. Owes a lot to the LAVI. Uses a Mig 29 engine.

Old Sep 06, 2002, 04:16 PM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
Mircroflyer,2 Q's,
1: Do you have any larger 3 views of that Chinese fighter?
2: Do you have any detailed underside/inlet views?

Great looking plane,I saw a photo in Airforces Monthly,lloks like it has good EDF potential too.

Love those 3D views,who's work is that? Whover did them,well done!
I love unusual designs like that,so am interested in more info.if you have some please.
Thanks for posting it,you have stirred my creative juices!

Thanks,
Matt.
bipeflyer is offline Find More Posts by bipeflyer
Old Sep 09, 2002, 02:12 AM
canada
Joined Sep 2000
478 Posts
jets

The wing area is so small..must be a very hot aircraft...
chrisc is offline Find More Posts by chrisc
Old Sep 09, 2002, 01:37 PM
Concord, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
The Japanese also make a four engine flying boat that is worth modeling
ChuckHHill is offline Find More Posts by ChuckHHill
Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:42 PM
Joined Jan 2002
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bipeflyer
Microflyer,2 Q's,
1: Do you have any larger 3 views of that Chinese fighter?

---Sorry, this is the only one I have. Mostly Chinese jet buffs have these pictures and most are 3D-CAD images. Details of the plane are sketchy and heavily guarded. A couple more shots from Chinese sites, (although somewhat inaccurate) in the tail exhaust area,

2: Do you have any detailed underside/inlet views?

---Unfortunately not at present but I'll keep looking. General opinion is that the intake used to look like the F-16 but now looks a lot more like the EFA (Square).

Great looking plane,I saw a photo in Airforces Monthly,lloks like it has good EDF potential too.

---Sure does, keep us posted if you come up with an electric EDF!

Love those 3D views,who's work is that? Whover did them,well done!

--I agree. I think it was done by a Pakistani Student residing in the UK who's apparently very good with AUTOCAD. There's been discussion at Pakistani Defence Forums about this because Pakistan is supposedly involved in the project. You can go here and see more pictures,

http://pub165.ezboard.com/fpakistani...icID=422.topic

http://pub165.ezboard.com/fpakistani...icID=376.topic

I love unusual designs like that,so am interested in more info.if you have some please.

---Will oblige...

Thanks for posting it,you have stirred my creative juices!

---Glad to know and you're very welcome.

Thanks,
Matt.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:52 PM
Joined Jan 2002
139 Posts
J-10 3 view

here's a 3-view,

Notice how the wing is blended to the fuselage which was actually a new development in the last three years to make it stealthier.

And I stand corrected. The J-10 DOESN'T use a MiG-29 engine, it actually uses a single SU-27 engine (the Lyulka AL-31F). Supposedly the thrust level of this engine gives this fighter a better TWR than the F-18 and thus is more maneuverable.

More info here,

http://www.stormpages.com/jetfight/J-10_J-11_FC-1.htm
Last edited by microflyer77; Sep 10, 2002 at 03:55 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 04:55 PM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
Thanks for that,I for one find this design very exciting,I put a post on the Jets forum,we'll see if there is any interest,although I doubt it,most like the common designs.
Thanks for the 3 view and the links,the artwork is superb!
Let me know if you should discover anything else-it has good proportions for EDF.

Matt
bipeflyer is offline Find More Posts by bipeflyer