HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2006, 12:44 AM
The Right Stuff - someday
Joined Jan 2006
28 Posts
Question
World Models .46 size warbirds with YS 110 most popular at our field only?

I can't figure out why at our field on any given day there are from 3 to 8 or more World Model .46 size Mustangs, Spits, Zeros, ALL with YS 110's - by far the most popular combination here, and I can't find any threads anywhere on the net.
At my field, there will be as many as 8 in the air at one time, and in the forums, almost nothing to be found. This combination flys great, lands easy ... any comments would be appreciated as this is my next plane. Thanks, Bill
Chuck Auger is offline Find More Posts by Chuck Auger
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2006, 01:06 AM
Joined Jan 2006
28 Posts
BTW, here is a midair video shot at my field, to illustrate the popularity of that setup. All the planes in the air are .46 size warbirds with YS 110's, mostly World Models, as they hold up better to the beating the 4 strokes give the airframes. Bill

http://www.nanoplanes.net/warbirds-midair-collision.wmv
Old Nov 26, 2006, 04:10 AM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Auger
BTW, here is a midair video shot at my field, to illustrate the popularity of that setup. All the planes in the air are .46 size warbirds with YS 110's, mostly World Models, as they hold up better to the beating the 4 strokes give the airframes. Bill

http://www.nanoplanes.net/warbirds-midair-collision.wmv
I don't want to sound a party pooper but that video rearly gives the Hobby a bad name........ It makes us look like a bunch of reckless people with very little regard for our models and indeed safety. I think that link and indeed the video should be removed for the good of the hobby.

www.densplanes.co.uk
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
Old Nov 26, 2006, 02:11 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Wow, Chaos in the air. I can see a midair happening in that theater...

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old Nov 26, 2006, 05:28 PM
Joined Jan 2006
28 Posts
... so, I guess inviting you guys for some combat is out of the question???
Old Nov 26, 2006, 08:25 PM
north of the basin
Joined Jun 2006
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Auger
... so, I guess inviting you guys for some combat is out of the question???
bigplumbs says that this gives the hobby a bad name.

let's see - 5-7 guys at our field who do this

10,000 RC flyers across the united states.

i don't see this in the news yet.
maybe, just maybe, it's not as dramatic as bigplumbs states - that it doesn't reach across the entire population band in the USofA and give the hobby a bad name.

now then...... if mac donalds served up a grilled chicken nuget that didn't have chicken as the nugget... but instead, a nugget of chicken poop, then THAT would give mac donalds a bad name.

see what i mean here?

contrary to popular belief, emotion and logic don't always mix.
rare_bear is offline Find More Posts by rare_bear
Old Nov 26, 2006, 08:28 PM
north of the basin
Joined Jun 2006
28 Posts
oh yeah,

just for the record, the reason ys110's are so popular in 46 sized warbirds is simple - they sound great, they fly fast, and they're badass
Old Nov 26, 2006, 09:07 PM
Joined Jan 2006
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_bear
oh yeah,

just for the record, the reason ys110's are so popular in 46 sized warbirds is simple - they sound great, they fly fast, and they're badass

... exactly - and why can't I find threads on them? Am I looking in the wrong places or is this much fun just at our field?
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:13 PM
north of the basin
Joined Jun 2006
28 Posts
maybe there just aren't any.

maybe the sepulveda basin's an anomoly - hehehehahahahahahaha

try starting this thread up over on RC Universe and see what flies....
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:25 PM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,186 Posts
Ive been trecking to L.A to fly there at Apollo feild and every time there I see some of the best flying . the guys with the war birds really do a great job flying .I love it and wrecks happens. these guys been doin this a awhile its not like joe trainer is out there for the first time.there is an inherit risk to our sport slow or fast flying planes.If yer scared then dont fly .I guess the video doesent give a good referance to the size of the basin .having been there and watched these guys fly the warbirds with 110 poweris ''WOW'' No bad name here
killer vtwin is offline Find More Posts by killer vtwin
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:17 AM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Our field allows 5 birds in the air at once. We have our share of collisions as well. I have had 3 midairs in 35 years at this field. So, this stuff happens.

All flyers must have AMA insurance. I've seen a model go through the windshield of a parked car at this field. Saw one guy take a hit below the knees from a 33% warbird at 40 lbs. Bad landing on that one. He was not happy...and lost the plane he was flying trying to get out of the way, wing caught him. Fortunately he was not seriously injured as a result of this mishap.

Some years back a demonstration at a major ball park went bad, flying lawn mower, hit a spectator, killing him. That was the end of that for sure...

A 10lb model flying at 75mph with an aluminum spinner, never mind the prop. Don't want ever to get whacked with something like that.

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Last edited by Pilot44; Nov 27, 2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:46 PM
Milton Keynes UK
Joined Aug 2006
236 Posts
Quote:
bigplumbs says that this gives the hobby a bad name.

let's see - 5-7 guys at our field who do this

10,000 RC flyers across the united states.

i don't see this in the news yet.
maybe, just maybe, it's not as dramatic as bigplumbs states - that it doesn't reach across the entire population band in the USofA and give the hobby a bad name.

now then...... if mac donalds served up a grilled chicken nuget that didn't have chicken as the nugget... but instead, a nugget of chicken poop, then THAT would give mac donalds a bad name.

see what i mean here?

contrary to popular belief, emotion and logic don't always mix.

Oh i think it will make the news when one of those spectators standing at the flight line gets thumped in the head by a wayward warbird.

How does your insurance companys feel about low level high speed combat manouvers while spectators are stood just feet away?
It will only need happen once.
Viper427 is offline Find More Posts by Viper427
Old Nov 27, 2006, 04:44 PM
north of the basin
Joined Jun 2006
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper427
Oh i think it will make the news when one of those spectators standing at the flight line gets thumped in the head by a wayward warbird.
not true.
an accidcent has already happened at our field where a trainer plowed into another guys leg and severed his femoral artery. this never made the news or the newspapers and the guy had almost died. perhaps if he did die, then it would have made the local paper or TV channel - but hardly the national news as your over-emotional post suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper427
How does your insurance companys feel about low level high speed combat manouvers while spectators are stood just feet away?
It will only need happen once.

dang viper, you keep screwing up the facts. the spectators ARE NOT several feet away as you suggest. you might want to get the facts straight by first hand observation at the site before making such bogus claims.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:37 PM
north of the basin
Joined Jun 2006
28 Posts
killer vtwin,

very well stated.

a trainer can kill someone just as easily as a zippy pylon racer as can a turbine.

personally, it is not the experienced pilots who fly fast planes that give me a scare. it is a beginner who thinks he can just go out and fly with fewer than 3 lessons or worse, no lessons at all, that keeps me grounded in the pits. they are the dangerous ones - time and time again, i see these people botch up and plow their planes within feet of others or steer them up and over the pits because they couldn't control their planes properly.

flying RC is a risk we take - and it is also a choice.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 03:17 AM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,618 Posts
Quote:
killer vtwin,

very well stated.

a trainer can kill someone just as easily as a zippy pylon racer as can a turbine.

personally, it is not the experienced pilots who fly fast planes that give me a scare. it is a beginner who thinks he can just go out and fly with fewer than 3 lessons or worse, no lessons at all, that keeps me grounded in the pits. they are the dangerous ones - time and time again, i see these people botch up and plow their planes within feet of others or steer them up and over the pits because they couldn't control their planes properly.

flying RC is a risk we take - and it is also a choice.

Rare Bear.............. You miss the point Indeed RC flying is dangerous but we all have an obligation to reduce the danger indeed the AMA in the US and the BMFA in the UK require us to do this. The choice of the pilot is one thing but the reckless flying in the video above puts others in danger. We all know that the flying in the video was reckless by the number of planes in the air and the whoops of the onlookers....... Indeed that is why the video was posted here and indeed had been previously posted.

Showing that sort of video and indeed flying in that manner with that number of planes in the air is a good step towards loosing your flying site.

The fact that there was a near fatality amazes me and you seem to think that this in some ways justifies this type of flying....

The racing in the video is more suited to boats or cars not RC planes.

Perhaps you would like to send the video to the AMA and see what they have to say.

Dennis

www.densplanes.co.uk
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs