Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 08, 2007, 06:22 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Thanks portablevcb, that was really helpful. I would like to keep this thread going too. Well, I think I am going to get LiPos, they sound great! I will be back in a little bit with my decision after researching for a while
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2007, 06:28 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,570 Posts
OK, now you guys are in trouble!

Mike, I did mine in the dark blue microlite. Make sure you put some bright graphics on it! That dark blue disappears in any dim light and is hard to tell right side up from upside down on a good day. I finally put white starburst on the top and tail.

MM, I really have had good luck with the little 3s730 Thunder Power packs. Pat has used the 2s versions. I finally wore one out after over 200 flights in various aircraft, many times being discharged right into the cutoff.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 08, 2007, 07:08 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
I think I will also go with the Feigao 12 mm motor. I also think I will get a Prolite series Thunder Power 730 mAh 3s LiPo battery.

Bill
Old Jan 08, 2007, 07:11 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Charlie,
Thanks for the advice on the color. The park where I will fly it is a small neighbor hood park , so I don't think it will be get very far from me . And by the way you have good taste in Cessna color patterns
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Jan 08, 2007, 08:25 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,570 Posts
Mike,

It was a mistake. The first one I did was plain silver, a C180 without paint

The trouble was I found out (the second time I did this) that silver is probably the toughest color to see in the sky!

So, second time I had some blue in the drawer and used it. Then had some white vinyl left over from one of Callie's jobs, so, simple sunrays.

charlie
Old Jan 14, 2007, 07:07 AM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Guys,
I plan on going with a 12mm Feigao, thunderbird 9 esc, and the Gws IPS gearbox with a thunder power 730 3s lipo. What gear ratio should I use ? and what would be a good prop? I will be flying in a small park so rog would have to be kinda fast(short runway). Also I don't like the idea of the music wire at the end of the wing strut,I can see myself poking a bunch of small holes in my soon to be beautiful covering job(I hope) . I was thinking about using the wire and making a "U" shape with the closed end of the"U" going into a slot in the fuse . Any other ideas?
Mike
Old Jan 14, 2007, 09:13 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,570 Posts
Mike,

The 6:1 is what I used. And it was a 9x7 prop. ROG with that setup is less than 6 ft. It is overopowered with that setup so be careful the first few times you fly it. It has quite a bit of prop torque. With that much power it can be a bit 'twitchy'

Oh, and, I never put the wing struts on mine I also left off the side windows and ran the battery leads out the window for charging.

When I do use removable struts I use the little dubro hinges. Pull the hinge pins out and replace with wire so you can bend a little 'handle' on them. You can also cut them down to half width. Be sure to lable left and right Also, some advice I got from Pat, make some extra pins and tape them inside the fuse somewhere. That way if you forget or lose the pins (which will happen) you have spares handy.

charlie
Old Jan 14, 2007, 09:49 AM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Charlie,
Thanks for the tips! I like the idea about the Dubro hinges and will use them. I'm not crazy about having a way over powered plane though,especially something as light and fragile as this one is.
Mike
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:09 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,570 Posts
Mike,

Believe me, it's not as fragile as it looks

Just don't slam the throttle around and you'll be fine. The little C-180 is the plane that I really honed my landing techniques on (and thermalling). Got to where I could land, touch down, and go around all without touching the elevator, just a deft touch on the throttle.

For takeoffs, just ease the throttle forward and before you know it you'll be in the air. A slight touch on the rudder will keep it straight, or, if you're like me in a big parking lot just let it takeoff whichever way it wants to go

charlie
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:21 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Mike,

Believe me, it's not as fragile as it looks

charlie
I hope not Charlie!
A couple pics of what it looks like so far. The fuse will be white.I don't want to cover the fuse until I trial fit all the electronics ..which I haven't purchased yet. The wing really twisted when I shrunk the covering but I'm working it back into shape trying to get a little washout in it.
Mike
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:42 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Looking good Mike! I think I am going to do something similar to your setup that you are going to do. Keep us updated with your build. I look forward to seeing it finished.

Bill
Old Jan 14, 2007, 01:24 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Thanks Bill,
the covering job didn't turn out as good as I would have liked it to,but I will keep at it.
Mike
Old Jan 14, 2007, 03:50 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Quick question...How much washout are you guys using?
Mike
Old Jan 14, 2007, 04:25 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,570 Posts
Eyeball it. I think the plans have some called for in there, use that number. I think mine was about 1/8" (??), but don't remember. I just know it was MOST important to get both sides the same rather than have an exact amount one way or the other.

charlie
Old Jan 14, 2007, 04:39 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Charlie,
I was having a hard time getting both sides the same. I've been trying all afternoon and then when I was ready to give up I got it...but it looks like I got about 1/4" .I don't know if I will leave it or try another day.
Mike