HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:21 PM
Raleigh/Durham Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,171 Posts
Delsol, a little washout will help keep it from tip stalling when you get really slow. It doesn't necessarily need to be the 1/4 mentioned in the plans, an 1/8 is probaly just fine. What is important is that you have the same on both sides, otherwise it will want to turn all the time and you'll have to compensate with a lot of rudder trim.

TheLost, great looking pics, glad you guys enjoy the plane.

Dave
DBlum is offline Find More Posts by DBlum
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2006, 08:13 AM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Bill ,
Here is a pic of mine .
-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Dec 01, 2006, 09:03 AM
Merced,Ca.
Joined Jul 2006
412 Posts
Thanks for the tip Dave!
Another nice looking 180 John
delsol is offline Find More Posts by delsol
Old Dec 22, 2006, 04:41 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
Well i just finished mine adn i hope to maiden her tomorrow

detailing still has to be done... but for my first covering jon i'm very happy with it
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:43 AM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Nice Job on the plane! I look forward to hear about how the maiden went.

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Dec 23, 2006, 09:46 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
Maidened her today, what a nice nice airplane and rugged to boot too

pics and story in the Blog
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Dec 23, 2006, 09:59 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,950 Posts
Very cool. Welcome to the Mountain Models/Dave Blum club.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:25 AM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,780 Posts
that Shorts Skyvan is something to behold. Great lookin C180
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Jan 07, 2007, 12:22 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
I think I am going to get the Cessna 180 soon. I decided I am probably going to go brushless. I saw this motor from GWS. Why is it so cheap? Are GWS brushless motors no good?

Also, do you have to get a lipo battery with a brushless motor? I don't really want lipo batteries because of the dangers that they have, even though they are supposed to be really good.

Thanks,

Bill
Old Jan 08, 2007, 05:04 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Anybody?
Old Jan 08, 2007, 05:30 PM
Snohomish County, Wa.
Joined Jul 2004
365 Posts
You can use NiMH batteries with a brushless motor, and visca-versa. But you are giving up a lot of performance improvement. The energy density of lipo's is roughly 2x NiMH. 2 ounces of weight makes a big diff for a plane as light as the 180. Remember higher weight hurts a lot more than climb rate - it also raises the stall speed, reduces manuverability, and reduces your margin over structural failure during aerobatics.

Charging and storing your lipo's in 50 cal ammo boxes should eliminate your worry about fire. Mine never come out of an ammo box except to go on the plane.
mccrohan is offline Find More Posts by mccrohan
Old Jan 08, 2007, 05:37 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Bill,
I just got my first MM 180 as a Christmas present from my wife. I was wondering myself about battery and motor options. I will use a lipo for sure in mine. I have it built and just started to cover it .Maybe its time for this thread to start up again so we can get some ideas.
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Jan 08, 2007, 06:11 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,950 Posts
Ok guys.

The C180 was designed for IPS and round cells, so, just about anything is an improvement.

Best bet for small models, and especially if you are going to stay in electric, is to go to LiPos. Chargers are less expensive than most of the batteries and many are foolproof nowdays. I bought two of the LiPo "sacks". But you can use ammo cans as above. I've also used ceramic canisters (like you get at the kitchen places) and those fireproof safes. Make sure you drill a vent hole if you use the ammo cans (a couple of 1/4" holes should do it, on top, not side). And, yes, I have had a battery burn on me. Since I was paying attention it did no damage except to the plane it was in at the time.

If you want to stay with IPS then 2s or 3s work, just prop/gear so the current is below 2A.

With the cheap brushless nowdays it makes sense to upgrade there too. That GWS motor is great, but, it is a bit on the porky side, probably better suited to a sp400 size model, especially if you are going to stay with round cells.

What you want for an outrunner is a CDROMsize motor with a 'cool' wind (for swinging 7" or 8" props) and the same or less weight than the IPS drive. I flew mine on a 17T motor I wound myself (StrongRC or GoBrushless). CustomCDR also has some really nice motors about the right size (single stack).

The other option is to go to a Feigao/Medusa 12mm motor that fits in the IPS gearbox. Which is what I also flew on mine for a while.

I used my C180 as kind of a testbed for small motors, gearing, batteries and props so it got a lot of use and was adapted several times (and crashed several times ).

So, little outrunner or geared inrunner. Wind your own or buy it. Get LiPo's All my advice in one line

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 08, 2007, 06:16 PM
Merced,Ca.
Joined Jul 2006
412 Posts
Hi Guys,
Finished covering my 180 yesterday, now I need to cut out my trim pattern &
get started on the trim. I'm going with a brushless Feigao motor & a thunderbird
9 esc comb. That sounded like a good set-up for the 180, also I'm going with
a 3s 400 mah battery.I'm back to work after 2 weeks vacation so my build will
slow up a little. I'm with you claybuster, I also would like to this thread keep
going!!
Delsol
delsol is offline Find More Posts by delsol
Old Jan 08, 2007, 07:09 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
I know that Charlie always gives good advice ! So I will go with the Feigao 12 mm. in a Ips gearbox. I can't believe how quickly and easy this little beauty went together. Now for the slow down...covering. I,m using coverlite and will do a dark blue and white color scheme. If the covering goes good I will call Callie graphics to spruce her up a bit. I'll take a couple pics as soon as I get some covering done. Does anyone have any tips on" should do mods " before I get her all done.
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster