HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2006, 09:34 AM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfun33
This was my first balsa kit and shrink covering and my 3rd plane to fly. It is a cool little plane. My covering job is not the best, but it still looks great from a small distance and is cool in the air. I don't fly it often, because it requires taking the wing off to change batteries and it is a lightweight delicate plane. I have a little hanger rash from the removal and replacement of the wing.

It still looks and flies nice. Here is a picture from earlier this summer.

-Dave

How do you remove the wing?
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2006, 09:38 AM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin
Ok, I'll play.

SOLITE: opaque colors: Black, dark blue, green
semi opaque: Cream, red, yellow, white, silver. At a distance, these all look pretty good though.

SOLARFILM: opaque colors: All solids, including White! (White looks just like a new Cessna and will cover anything!). Oddly enough, Red is probably the weakest color, and you can see slightly through it.

On this model, I used solite and would probably do it again. The structure is light and you would need to be carefull with the stronger shrinking solarfilm. But the solarfilm colors are so good, it might be worth it.

Heavier coverings such as monokote would be a disaster weight wise and would squeeze and twist it like crazy.

-Steve
Thanks Steve,

So it would be much easier to cover with solite?

Well if I have trouble covering the plane, my neighbor could help me. He has a lot of experience with building balsa wood planes.

Bill
Old Nov 26, 2006, 01:20 PM
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2004
235 Posts
I built to the instructions and they have you use a wing bolt to hold the wing down and "pins" made of wire that poke into the fuselage to hold the wing struts in place. The pins on these wing struts have caused me problems (poking holes in the covering). I've seen tape used to hold the struts to the wing and strong magnets to hold the wing struts to the fuselage. This woud prevent poking the covering with the "pins".

-Dave
rcfun33 is offline Find More Posts by rcfun33
Old Nov 26, 2006, 04:57 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfun33
I built to the instructions and they have you use a wing bolt to hold the wing down and "pins" made of wire that poke into the fuselage to hold the wing struts in place. The pins on these wing struts have caused me problems (poking holes in the covering). I've seen tape used to hold the struts to the wing and strong magnets to hold the wing struts to the fuselage. This woud prevent poking the covering with the "pins".

-Dave

So, every time you have to take the battery pack out, you have to take the pins out and then when you put the battery pack back in, you have to poke a hole in the covering to put the pins back in.

That sucks!
Old Nov 26, 2006, 07:30 PM
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2004
235 Posts
Normally, you would put the "pins" back in the same hole and wouldn't create new holes. However, when you have something sharp like this around a light film it is easy to accidentally poke the covering or even slice it a little. I've gotten a lot better at it. I now don't completely remove the wing from the plane but just remove the wing struts from the fuselage and let them hang below the fuselage while sliding the wing back.

-Dave
Old Nov 26, 2006, 09:50 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,633 Posts
Ok, so I am a bit lazy. So, I left the side windows off the airplane and made the ESC and battery leads long enough to reach out the window. When I wanted to charge the battery I just pulled the lead out through the window and hooked it up. And, yes, I did this with LiPo batteries for many flights (well over 100). Oh, I also left off the struts. This was a working airplane for me. I even used it to teach a couple of people how to fly.

I would recommend Solite or Solarfilm for a first covering. Solite is less likely to cause warping, but, is more difficult to control during covering (static cling is a pain!).

Color. Pick one you can see against the sky. Silver is bad!! White is OK with bright trim colors. Also put a pattern on the plane so you can tell up from down. Big bold pattern on top of wing, plain on the bottom for example.

Have fun with it.
charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Nov 27, 2006, 02:26 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Thanks guys. You cleared all of that covering stuff and wing stuff up.

Bill
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:11 PM
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2004
235 Posts
Anyway, like I said. I think it is a cool plane. It flies well and I like the scale look in the air. I should take it out more, but since it is one of my favorites I'm afraid of damaging it.

-Dave
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:25 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,633 Posts
Dave,

My flying buddy and I both had them for a long time. We called them our "wind socks" because we'd fly them to see if the wind was calm enough to fly the rest of our 'fleet'.

They are also great for chasing thermals. I followed a hawk in Phoenix one day and stayed in the air for almost an hour before my neck got stiff. Then had to spin down out of the rising air to get it back.

Fun plane.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:00 AM
Merced,Ca.
Joined Jul 2006
411 Posts
Hi guys,
I just received my 180 cessna and have been reading the threads on her. I've read that you need to but some washout
on the wings. I'm sorry but I'm not sure what this is and how to
to do it? Can anyone help me out!!!
Thanks Brad
delsol is offline Find More Posts by delsol
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:33 AM
My Bulldog is my copilot ..
Joined Feb 2004
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delsol
Hi guys,
I just received my 180 cessna and have been reading the threads on her. I've read that you need to but some washout
on the wings. I'm sorry but I'm not sure what this is and how to
to do it? Can anyone help me out!!!
Thanks Brad
With one hand grab the wing in the middle... with the other hand grab the end of one of the wings. Twist the wing so that the tail edge is higher then the leading edge.. (now the hard part if you don't have a helper).. use a heat gun to shink the covering... repeat until you get the proper washout to stay.

The MM/LA/DBlum 180 is a great little kit.. Love mine...

~Brian
TheLost is offline Find More Posts by TheLost
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:17 AM
Merced,Ca.
Joined Jul 2006
411 Posts
Brian,
What a gorgeous little 180 you built. Hope my plane will come
out looking that good. Would you recommend putting washout
in before flying her & if so how much or wait to see how see
flys without it?
Brad
delsol is offline Find More Posts by delsol
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:27 AM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Bill ,
You will really love this little plane . I fly mine on a Feigo 12mm BL with a 2s TP 930 mah lipo . Anytime it is perfectly calm I drag it out . Great for low slow flybys . Pretty easy build . I covered mine with "doculam" which shrinks a bit more aggresively than some of the covering mentioned . AUW is about 9oz.
It can take a bit of a breeze , but is much more fun when it is calm .Enjoy !
-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Nov 30, 2006, 03:47 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Thanks John!