SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:02 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
New CF/balsa scratch built wing and scratch mini IFO results...

Well, here's my new flying wing that I've built after having a failed attempt at scratch building a mini-IFO. More about the problems with IFO later...

This is using a CF spar and trailing edge, both are attached with CA and cotton string to provide reinforcement. The cotton is tough as nails!!! It certainly made for a great joint reinforcement. I also have a carbon fiber D-tubeish wing, and is fully symetrical. I hope it'll work ( ), fortunately the CG should be easily attained, I just think a tip as to where the CG should be will help. I used the M-IFO's vertical stab as it was durable and stayed attached to fuselage in all 20 or so crashes.... you'll see! I used the elevons from the previous model, and the gear is from my J3-S in hopes for a more manuverable craft. In a crash, this plane is hopeless... I'll be careful!
e-sailpilot86 is offline Find More Posts by e-sailpilot86
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:04 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
closer and bigger view of plane...
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:14 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
About the mini-IFO... I was suggested it for small space flying, and I gave it a shot to a scratch build. I guess I made the plane too short or something was off, because if the CG was a tad bit back, it gradually hung off the prop till it touched down. CG a bit forward, and it needed full up to maintain a straight flight. I did get it tuned sorta right with a fresh charge, and it lofted around the yard at a slow pace, but wasn't as manueverable as a J3... It took about 20 times till I finally switched to a different design, don't worry, it's only basswood dowels. That flight lasted about 8 seconds, flights with the J-3 in this small space are about 10+ minutes. Believe me, this flying is a busch pilot's challenge, I barely clear the Rhodies, Japanesse Maples and Furs! But it fits, right? So, this is what it used to look like... I had it started and finished yesterday.
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:15 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
After... (eegshh...it got worse, this is just the last photo I took!)
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:25 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
My guess is that the weight of the "green thing" is about 3.5 oz without the battery, making it 5.5 oz ready to fly. I don't think it'll hover without some nice motor and battery combo, I also don't have a stabilizer! Oh well, so well as it moves around quick.