SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:12 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Travels with Tiger Moth (on floats)

Hi gang!

I'm sure some of you have been wondering where I've been - well, we went out for a boating trip on the sailboat. I was planning on taking the Switchback on floats along, but had unforseen difficulties with the new ESC (namely, it was backordered). Thus, I only took the Tiger Moth on floats. Due to the restricted space in the sailboat, I didn't want to take my delicate baby Cessna 180 along with me. The Tiger Moth was loads of fun! I took two charged qualcomm packs along with me, as well as my 7 cell 300 NiMH's and charger. Here's a point of interest: The Tiger Moth will indeed ROW with the DX-A power and qualcomm batteries! The ROW isn't the LEAP from the water that the 7 or 8 cell packs provide, but it's nicely scale. In fact, the water handling is so good (keep in mind I'm still using the 15" www.foamfloats.com Tiger Moth original floats) that I was able to ROW successfully after 25 minutes of flying! At that point, the pack doesn't provide enough oomph to actually hear the difference in power between half and full throttle, but the plane will still BARELY climb at full throttle. Thus, if your moth will still climb under power, you can still ROW her! I was stunned. Through the 5 days away, I got in 22 flights. That's not bad considering two days were either too windy or rainy to fly.

Among my escapades, I managed to do some carrier landings onto the sailboat while we were motoring. At cruise speed, the boat does about 4.5 knots and I was flying in basically no wind, so the moth was overtaking the boat at about 2 knots (estimated). That speed made hand catches dead easy! I even crashed on deck once (no damage) and may post the videos on silentflightonline soon. I'll add an update to this thread if I do.

Here's a picture of my "flying field" so to speak. We anchored in a good sized and rarely travelled bay on the Shuswap Lake, and were mostly sheltered from wind and waves. Conditions were ideal for flying!
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Last edited by Martin Hunter; Sep 05, 2002 at 11:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:15 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Here's a shot showing my alternate flying site. It's a bit of a pool created by the falling water line in the late summer. Even when the lake was rough, the pool was always flat calm. It's a foot deep at the deepest point.
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:16 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Here's how we got from the boat to the beach - rubber dinghy! I rowed while Christine sat and held the dog. Due to space constraints the Moth was happily towed behind the raft.
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:17 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Here's the moth at rest on the pool. Note I've covered these floats in silver solite as well. It works great, but be sure to glue those seams!
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:18 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Somehow, unlike the Cessna, no matter how hard I try I won't be able to fool anyone into thinking this is a full scale picture. Oh well. I like the effect, anyway!
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:19 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Here's a shot of the Moth beached.
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:22 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Here's the last shot for now. Enjoy!

Martin
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:30 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Welcome back Dreamer,

Beautiful pictures. Beautiful boat, beautiful scenery.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:45 PM
Santa Rosa, Northern CA, USA
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Life is GOOD!

Great pix,

Thanks,
Dave
Daveairway is offline Find More Posts by Daveairway
Old Sep 06, 2002, 12:36 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Boy, am I jealous, Dreamer! My folks lived just out of Sicamous on Shushwap lake for about 5 years after Dad retired. Those shots sure bring back some fond memories of that beautiful part of B.C. And you and Christine (and the dog) got to sail and fly for 5 days, while I had to toil for my bread

Glad you got the holiday, and happy to see you back.
Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Sep 06, 2002, 01:10 AM
JWC
Still learning.....
Kodiak, Alaska
Joined Sep 2001
430 Posts
Fantastic pictures! Glad you got a chance to get away for awhile. Great write up on Chilliwack by the way!

Jeff
JWC is offline Find More Posts by JWC
Old Sep 06, 2002, 01:51 AM
Tantrums Rock!
Joined Jul 2001
268 Posts
Dreamer,

All of your photos make me want to go on a vacation, as usual, and they are expertly composed, as usual!!!

I have to share with you that I got a HUGE chuckle out of the photo of you towing the Moth behind the rubber raft! -That's just a kick, man!

Regards,

CheeseWing
CheeseWing is offline Find More Posts by CheeseWing
Old Sep 06, 2002, 01:59 AM
Under tension
Johnstown, Colorado
Joined May 2002
880 Posts
You towed the Moth behind the dinghy?!? ROTFLOL!!!!!! That's hillarious! Do you have any picture fo you rowing with the precious cargo in tow? That would be priceless.
citabria is offline Find More Posts by citabria
Old Sep 06, 2002, 02:07 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I have no pictures of us rowing while towing the Moth, unfortunately. I didn't feel like giving my camera to a stranger and rowing away from him I agree that would be a classic shot, though.

Martin
Old Sep 06, 2002, 08:30 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
Great pics Dreamer, makes me want to go there! You know what you should have done....taken a photo of the TM towing the raft!Would've come in handy next time some guy says electrics don't have any power! Welcome back. -thumbs
fumblethumbs is offline Find More Posts by fumblethumbs