SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2006, 02:39 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Discussion
Beware of Windows Movie Maker issues with IE7 upgrade.

I've been having a heck of a time with microsoft lately. Twice now I've tried upgrading my browser to IE7 and twice now I have not been able to use Movie Maker as it goes into an error message which I've sent innumerable times to no avail.
If I uninstalled it and went back to IE6 (which I'm using now) the problems go away but my live one care software keeps trying to get me to go back to IE7.
I've gone as far as to email tech support and all they want to do is charge me 35 dollars with no real promise the issue can be fixed. They keep telling me to go back to my mfr but don't seem to understand that the problem has only surfaced with the upgrade installed.
Anyways, if any of y'all are having software issues with IE7 installed I just thought I'd pass on what I've been able to find out.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:31 AM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
randall, its gotta be somptin on your pc...i upgraded to IE7 and have absolutly no trobs. it may be because i did a format and install, i donno. also i got every stinkin update microsoft could install also, took a whole afternoon, lols. oh well...randy.
rjarois is offline Find More Posts by rjarois
Old Nov 22, 2006, 09:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I just bought a new compaq laptop for my gf and as soon as she upgraded to IE 7 she had problems too. Google it and you'll find out we're not the only ones.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:11 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,881 Posts
Randall,

Go to "Help and Support"

Then choose "System Restore"

Then chose to restore your system to the date just before you installed IE7...

It will be like you never installed it.....

JettPilot
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 22, 2006, 01:38 PM
Pasco, Washington
Joined May 2004
576 Posts
I agree with Randall, I installed IE 7 and movie maker started acting weird, then I saw Randalls post and uninstalled IE 7 and movie maker is ok now. Thanks Randall.
RidgeTop is offline Find More Posts by RidgeTop
Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:58 PM
I didn't do it!
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
600 Posts
Thanks for the info. I don't use Movie Maker and I don't like the new layout in IE7 either. What is Microsoft thinking about when releasing something so half-assed? I'll tell you what they're thinking. We will get the whole world to R&D this new product or version of a product for FREEEEE! And that's what we do for them. A computer and its software is probably the only product on the planet where the end user does most of the troubleshooting (R&D) for FREE!! Then they release FREE patches to make us feel better and believe they're doing us a favor.
Sky Link is offline Find More Posts by Sky Link
Old Nov 22, 2006, 07:02 PM
5 miles from the geographical center of Pennsylvania
Joined Aug 2005
2,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Link
What is Microsoft thinking about when releasing something so half-assed?
Ok, so is this the first time you've noticed this?

Microsoft at this point is not worried about people making their own content, but they are really worried that you will steal someone else's content. It's all going to get worse under Vista. Since I'm using Linux, I kinda wish everyone would use a format that Microsoft can't break.
Unterhausen is offline Find More Posts by Unterhausen
Old Nov 22, 2006, 08:45 PM
I didn't do it!
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unterhausen
Nope! I've been doing FREE R&D for them for quite a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unterhausen

Microsoft at this point is not worried about people making their own content, but they are really worried that you will steal someone else's content.
Well, if it's editing your are referring to, there are plenty of other very cheap, if not free, editing software options available. Anyway, no company is held responsible for an end users use of a tool as long as it's intended use is clearly stated. So what's going to happen with Vista?
Sky Link is offline Find More Posts by Sky Link
Old Nov 22, 2006, 09:08 PM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Lansing, Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2004
1,240 Posts
Randall - Have you tried some of the many other great free web browsers? I have never used IE, I use Firefox & Opera and sometimes Netscape depending on what I'm doing. Opera is really fast at loading multiple large images so I use that for photo web sites like Flickr & Photo.net. Netscape can remember all of my log-ins (& I can't) for comercial sites like Ebay and on-line retailers, but it is kind of bloated so I use the slimmed-down Firefox version for general browsing.

There are probably others that are good too.

Gary D.
FoamingInMI is offline Find More Posts by FoamingInMI
Old Nov 23, 2006, 01:06 AM
5 miles from the geographical center of Pennsylvania
Joined Aug 2005
2,144 Posts
Vista is Msoft's first real stab at "trusted computing," which means they trust your computer and they don't trust you.
Unterhausen is offline Find More Posts by Unterhausen
Old Nov 23, 2006, 01:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I just went back to IE 6 and all my problems went away except for that nagging message on live one care that says I need to upgrade.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 03:00 PM
Planes from 1oz to 55lb's
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
1,278 Posts
Please, get Firefox 2 and live your life...

simo10
simo10 is offline Find More Posts by simo10
Old Nov 24, 2006, 01:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I downloaded firefox. I'll try it a while and see how it works. So far I've noticed that it doesn't interact with my web accelerator but it still loads pages pretty fast anyway. Just taking some getting used to is all.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 02:37 PM
Canal Fulton, Ohio
Joined Jun 2003
544 Posts
HP Director that comes with the HP printers doesn't work correctly with IE7.. HP admits there is a problem, they have a work around (google for it) and they are working on a fix. Funny how Microsoft comes out with an update and so many other applications have problems and the applications people end up fixing their software.

Dick
Stark Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Stark Flyer
Old Nov 24, 2006, 11:26 PM
McPherson, KS
Joined Mar 2005
185 Posts
Randall,
Sorry to hear your troubles with IE 7. Sometimes it's best not to upgrade because if it's not broke don't fix it :-). Glad Firefox is working for you.
Chance
wavebuff is offline Find More Posts by wavebuff