HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:03 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,806 Posts
Discussion
Here's my winter project.....what's yours?

This year there was no getting out of it The Mrs won! Never done any home reno's before, this will be a good challenge. I keep getting the "Well you can make model airplanes fly really well why can't you fix up the bathroom?"

Any advice appreciated!

Mike
Canada Goose is offline Find More Posts by Canada Goose
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:09 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
What's wrong with it? I'd call it good and get back to the planes.

Dan
kd7ost is offline Find More Posts by kd7ost
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:09 PM
WHOHH..You See That??
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Jan 2005
1,761 Posts
Looks like all you really need is some drywall. Hang up a couple sheets and get back to the plane building.

P.S. If she's making ya do it, make sure a urinal gets added if possible (always nice).
qualcity is offline Find More Posts by qualcity
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:27 PM
Firefighter
Newark, Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
546 Posts
Tell her you need to do some AP recon of Lowe's so you can find the best deal on dry wall.
tysons is offline Find More Posts by tysons
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:10 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Oct 2003
1,882 Posts
Setup a table in there, close the door and lock it. Build planes and heli's all winter long. When your wife asks how it's going in there, just tell here it's coming along right on schedule.
dreslism is offline Find More Posts by dreslism
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:28 AM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,365 Posts
Mike,

Just strip out all of the bathroom fixtures and add a few wing and fuse racks on the walls, along with a couple more electrical outlets for the Dremels and chargers! Oh yeah and one more electrical outlet for the PC, so you can check your PM's without having to leave! Tell your wife the Tele would look real nice hanging in there!

Larry
txflyboys2 is online now Find More Posts by txflyboys2
Old Nov 22, 2006, 01:51 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,227 Posts
This is my winter project:

It's almost ready now .... jsut the final parts of equipment installation left to do ....

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Nov 22, 2006, 02:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I think my winter projects will be devoted mostly just to shooting AP. There's a windmill farm going up nearby and this friday I'm heading out with the ES to get some AP and AV. The paper says there will be 150 towers that are 300 feet tall. Each blade is 140 feet.
Since this is local history I think I'm going to break with my usual "freebie" and ask for payment this time.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:04 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,395 Posts
I have been re-modeling our front room for a week. Patch wall holes, paint, pull up the carpet, have new carpet installed, new carpet for the bedroom, new border, new furniture............................Boo, Hoo! My back is broken. It's time though, we've gone through our kids, and now through our grandkids. Everything in our house is broke down and shot. I wish it was done. sigh!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:31 AM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Lansing, Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2004
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird
I have been re-modeling our front room for a week. Patch wall holes, paint, pull up the carpet, have new carpet installed, new carpet for the bedroom, new border, new furniture.......
I know what you & CG are going through. Last winter I started remodeling the interior of our house, all new baseboards, doors, trim, window sills, celiings, floors, & paint. Going room by room and I don't work very fast but I got a couple completely finished & they turned out real nice. Still have the rest of the house to do so I'll start on that pretty soon.

I have 2 words of advice: "stud finder", the best 15 bucks I've spent on a tool.

Good luck on the projects guys!

Randall - Sounds like an exciting AP project, can't wait to see the pics. Love that green power, we've signed up for 100% green power from our utility co.

David - enjoy it while your young, someday...! Slope glider?

Gary D.
FoamingInMI is offline Find More Posts by FoamingInMI
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:42 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,227 Posts
Yup tis an all glass slope soarer from the Czech Republic .... and LOL yes .... I'm doing my best to enjoy it whilst I'm still young haha!

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Nov 22, 2006, 02:36 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,661 Posts
Advice from a Potty Pro

Goose,

Big project, buddy, you need help on this one and I'm here to give it. Done this lot's!

First you gotta do what we professionals call prioritize. That's so if you have to quit early the important stuff is done.

OK, so here we go:

1. First tile the floor - none a that sissy Italian stuff - real Mexican Saltillo.

2. Then a desk top that folds down to a comfortable height when you are sittin on the throne.

3. Really good lighting over the desk top.

4. Magazine rack.

5. Book shelf

6. High speed internet connection for the ole lap top

7. Shelves to store your glow fuel on. The little woman will like those pastel colors.

8. That window is just beggin for an engine test stand. Run the exhaust hose right out into the back yard.

9. You need some artwork for accents. I lean toward WW2 nose art myself.

10. A towel rack above the tub - free wall space in there.

11. Some homey touches like a cat bed - maybe a heater.

11. Now you can do what we professionals call accessorizing - that's stuff you don't need but it'll impress your mother in law - like an exhaust fan or maybe one of those toilet paper holders.

If you're really flush consider puttin up tar paper or even dry wall. Saw one like that and it looked real good!

Need more help - call me.

Your buddy,

Tom in New Mexico

(Oh yeah, if you get flak from the spouse - nail up a sign that says "MEN")
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:12 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Lots of fun suggestions. Some of them almost serious!

Doing lots of little honeydo's lately, before company arrives for Thanksgiving. Funnest one was under-cabinet lighting in the kitchen. They came with a plug with a thumb wheel, but I nixed that for a rotary dimmer mounted under one of the cabinets. The cut out for the switch box in the base of the cabinet was the most tedious, though it was an afternoon job, not an entire room gutting.

End result is a nice row of spots at regular intervals, xenon for natural color, no fluorescents.
Karl B is offline Find More Posts by Karl B
Old Nov 22, 2006, 04:26 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,661 Posts
Karl,

I agree, some of those guys weren't serious.

Here's a photo. Sorry but it's too cramped to see the cat bed and WW2 nose art.

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Nov 22, 2006, 04:54 PM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Goose
Any advice appreciated!

Mike
Hi Mike, My advice is to avoid taking the "useful" insulation foam from the throne room in the first place. It only attracts attention.

I have a boiler to replace this winter...Brrr...perhaps I will wait until spring. Besides, there is that scratchbuilt Catalina I always promised to build.

Last summer seems a long way away now,

Cheers mate,

Andrew
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander