Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,431 Posts
Build Log
32" span Mk Vb Spitfire- "Prinses Beatrix" build

Hi all, I have finished building my Hurricane Mk1, build log here-

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572646

and now look to build a partner for it.
I have decided upon a spitfire, and after much research and assistance from many others, I have decided to build the Mk Vb spitfire from 322 (Dutch)Squadron, named "Prinses Beatrix" (Princess Beatrix). Im led to believe it was a gift from the Dutch royal family?, and was flown by Flt Lt Plesman. The code was VL-P, and the serial number was BM515.

I have printed off a 3-view of a Mk IX spit to the correct size, ensuring that it was to the same scale as my hurricane.
Im led to believe that the MkIX and the MkV were essentially the same airframe, hence the using MkIX drawings.

I am going to build this model slightly diferently, and plank the fuselage in two halfs, split vertically down the center. I have built model boats like this in the past, and by doing this, im able to remove pretty much all of the rib sections after planking, then join the halfs for a strong, lightweight monoquoque shell.

Here is a drawing of the full size, and a pic of my hurricane sitting on the 3-view.
If anybody has any info on this aircraft, please help me out.
Thanks, and enjoy.
Barry
rcminiman is offline Find More Posts by rcminiman
Last edited by rcminiman; Nov 21, 2006 at 09:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2006, 03:27 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Oz.
Joined Oct 2000
315 Posts
OOP,S The Mk 9 Was the first of the Spitfires with a 2 stage supercharger and consequently the nose was several inches longer, the carbi intake and the radiators were different it also had a different Prop and spinner. you'd be better basing your drawings on any of the earlier marks and adding the cannon arrmament and the slightly deeper single radiator and larger oil cooler of the MK 5.

Good luck with your build, sorry if I'm beeing a bit pedantic but, sadly, I'm a chronic spitophile

cheers, Hugh
Oneson1 is offline Find More Posts by Oneson1
Old Nov 21, 2006, 03:52 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,431 Posts
Hi Hugh, The info is welcomed. I want to make it right after all. I have MkVb 3-views I was going to use for it, but was going to use the MkIX drawings for the fuselage sections. I will measure the difference tonight before I cut any wood, and see how it turns out.
Thanks for the info. Im a big Hurricane fan, so the Spit info is new to me.
Barry
Old Nov 21, 2006, 04:10 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,431 Posts
Here is a pic of Flt Lt Plesman next to the "Prinses Beatrix"
Old Nov 21, 2006, 07:19 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,431 Posts
Update- I now have drawings for a Mk 1 spit. I will print them out tonight and start cutting rib sections.
Barry
Old Nov 21, 2006, 08:48 AM
TMO
Stonington, Ct.
Joined Nov 2001
1,290 Posts
Barry,

I have a 1/12th scale mark IIa plan if you need it. It's in DXF file format. If you want it, I'll send it to you. You could get it yourself here with some hunting around: http://corsair.flugmodellbau.de/file...an/Bauplan.htm. The Stahl plan is here: http://www.theplanpage.com/esp.htm but you'll have to blow it up a little. Best wishes on your project. I am keenly interested, as I am doing one right now also in 1/16th. Let me know if I can help.

Your Hurricane is superb. Well done!

Tim
TMO is offline Find More Posts by TMO
Last edited by TMO; Nov 21, 2006 at 08:55 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:09 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,431 Posts
Hi Tim, I found the plan you were on about, and downloaded it.
I have the stahl plan. I was going to use it first, but the nose section just doesnt seem right to me at all. My hurri is a modified stahl plan.
Your wee guy looks great sitting in his office! Looks like a nice neat build.
Thanks,
Barry
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:04 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Don't forget this excellent plan and thread for a Mk IX although it is bigger than you want:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=130235&pp=15

I have got this far with a BT Mark 1 (will be a MkV when I've finished)

Watching with interest.

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Nov 22, 2006, 02:42 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,431 Posts
Nice plan Gary, thanks for the link.
Your Spitfire is looking great. I'd like to see it when you get it done.
Barry
Old Nov 22, 2006, 02:53 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,431 Posts
Formers done and laid out on building keel

Hi, I have traced out the sections onto 1/8" balsa, and cut them out. Not much to go into detail about this process. I used a bandsaw and scissors for cutting them out.
I then found two wood strips, 1"x3/8" that were completely flat, straight and true, and superglued the formers to them at their respective locations.
I have yet to sand the edges of the formers to allow the planks to lie flat against them when formed round. As I dont glue the planks together at this stage to allow easier sanding when complete, its essential to give a good glueing area between plank and former.
I have to wait till Friday to buy the balsa for the planking, but there are other jobs to carry on with in the meantime. What thickness balsa would you guys recommend for planking it?
Has anybody planked a plane like this before? Its rare on the boat scene, but I found it much easier for a beginner to accomplish well, due to the fact you can access the rear of the planks easier.
Barry
Old Nov 22, 2006, 05:54 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,036 Posts
Barry,

I would have thought 1/32 or 1/16 balsa planking on a model that size, depending how strong you want it to be.
I'm a bit confused , are you going to cut off the 3/8" x 1" strips after you have planked it and glue the two shells together? You could have used a 1/4" or 3/8" wide permanent balsa keel outline and half notched the formers on to it and planked it half at a time (although you wouldn't have had glue access to the rear for one half).

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:04 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart
Barry,

I would have thought 1/32 or 1/16 balsa planking on a model that size, depending how strong you want it to be.
I'm a bit confused , are you going to cut off the 3/8" x 1" strips after you have planked it and glue the two shells together? You could have used a 1/4" or 3/8" wide permanent balsa keel outline and half notched the formers on to it and planked it half at a time (although you wouldn't have had glue access to the rear for one half).

Mike
Hi Mike, Ive actually managed to confuse a time served aircraft modeller!!
Your right, the keel strips are there only for the planking. When the planking is done, they are cut off, and the formers are also removed, leaving just the planks. I will then add structural strength where it is required (wing seat and nose), and glue the two halves together. Ive built loads of boats this way, but I normally fiberglass the insides to give strength back. I plan on using light tissue on the inside of this if its required. I will see when the time comes.
I like doing things just a wee bit differently.
Barry
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:54 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Hi Barry and all,

I'm afraid my Spit will be in progress a while longer due to other commitments and a diversion with a West Wings Hunter!

You might be interested in this page from the Jetex site:

http://jetex.org/cja/kits-tailored.html

This kit range used 'moulded' balsa skins for a monocoque fuselage, an interesting technique. I wonder quite how they moulded them?

Have a look for Gordon's Lightning thread in the EDF forum on here for some good tips and links on planking (it's not my favourite pastime!)

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Nov 22, 2006, 08:15 PM
Penang, Malaysia
Joined Jun 2002
414 Posts
Hi Barry

By George. Almost no formers. That would certainly be a diffrent way of building a fuselage. It will be a good way, any weight savings will only be good and the lack of formers can only make radio installation easier.

I hope you can pull it off.

Regards
YEAP CHIN POH is offline Find More Posts by YEAP CHIN POH
Old Nov 23, 2006, 02:00 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,431 Posts
Oh dear

Hi Guys, Im going to be a red faced idiot for this but here goes.............

I have decided to forget using the 3-view I printed off and begun building already. Why????
I have obtained the best drawings ive ever seen, thats why.
I printed them out last night, after a LOT of thinking, and after none of the formers from the old 3-view seemed to fit correctly.
I have went for a 1" to the foot scale, so a 36" span Spitfire is destined to be built.
Now I also need a lot of feedback and information from you lot, as im going to let you tell me how im gonna build it. If you had the choice, how would you do the fuselage? The drawings are that nice, that it would be a shame to experiment with this one like I was going to do.
So guys, do I start a new thread, or continue here?
Whats my first job gonna be? I know ive got to cut formers out, but do I give it top, bottom and side keels and plank it in mid air, box it with semi-formers?, ideas please?
I really appreciate the input, because I want to do things right, and learn along the way.
Thanks,
Barry