HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2002, 11:29 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Anyone Flying the Kavan Ford Tri-motor?

I did a search and didn't find much on the Kavan Tri-motor. Any folks out there flying this model? I may put it on my wish list if there are any favorable flight reports. Thanks.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2002, 06:22 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...der=descending

I did this search by doing *Tri-motor*
I've got one and enjoy it. One of the other members suggested that I use Gunther props on it and there is a noticible difference in performance. Also, use at least eight cells for a really nice flight.
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Sep 05, 2002, 09:01 AM
Valencia, CA
Joined Feb 2002
216 Posts
Dave,
I like mine also. I am flying with the stock props and the Wattage 8cell 800mah nimh (yellow stick). It flys very well in a slow, scale manner and looks really cool. It also lands very well. The plane does not like wind, so I only fly it when the wind is below 5 mph. Its nice to have something different at the field and this plane fills the bill.

Bill
Billmagann is offline Find More Posts by Billmagann
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:07 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Thanks for the info, guys. I've always had a weakness for the Ford Tri-motor, for some reason. I built a Monogram kit model of it when I was a kid and fantasized about building a flying model with skis and flying it off the snow (I grew up in Ohio). I may have to go for it.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:40 PM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
I stated in a previous thread the performance. I have found that keeping the weight at 17 oz. will make a big difference in the flying and landing. I used an 8 cell 650 Nimh from HL (3.5 oz) and HS-50's. I recommend that you not take too steep a turn to prevent stalls due to the double taper in the wings.

I haven't tried the Gunther props but I suspect they are better as the APC's are very heavy. Incidently, go to the next larger size in wheels that HL sells to make for better landings that don't end up on the nose.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme