HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:45 PM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
Discussion
Onboard video of the Death of the FoamFly Frog from the Wing snapping apart at 100ft

So as the title suggests I killed my Frog over the weekend due to the wings snapping apart at the glue joint. I used Foam Safe medium CA with kicker on the joint and under normal weight loading this would probably be sufficient but I had a PolyQuest 2s 2200 mAH battery onboard which was most likely a bit too much weight for the design.

I've flown the Frog around 8 times and I just started to have fun going through loops, inverted flights, and spins.

The video is around 4 minutes and goes from takeoff to crash.

There is only slight damage to my Lipo battery but I'm keeping it in a fireproof concert area right now until I get a chance to test it. The rest of my equipment is fine.

The wings snapped near the bottom of a loop after I dove for some speed with full throttle altitude was around 100ft. My biggest mistake was most likely using full throttle in the dive and I do not attribute this crash due to the Frog desgin. It was 100% pilot error but I do have a suggestion for a future frog design.

In the green foam kit the builder is instructed to remove the skin on the lower part of the wing before curving. If this is required then I suggest making the wing 3 parts instead of 4 to improve the strength of the center of the wing where it attaches to the fuselage. Or if 4 parts are needed then add a wing spar or instruct to add reinforcement tape.

Afterall no need for others to make the same mistake like I did.

Enjoy the onboard video here is the link and the camera rolls throughout the entire crash and after impact. Sturdy little thing
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...84829064&hl=en

NOTE: start from 3:10 into video if you want to skip the climb out part and just see the carnage.

-Chris
wedge98 is offline Find More Posts by wedge98
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:48 PM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,769 Posts
It sure did come down quick. Sorry to hear about the crash.

Will
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Nov 20, 2006, 01:22 PM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
It's ok, I'm just glad it was only foam destroyed and not equipment. The skin peeled off the top of one of the wings in the crash so I'm going to rebuild the Frog with a new wing design and some other upgrades and try her again. I'll post pictures later tonight of the damage but here's the list:

Nose crunched, motor mount broke at rear, wings destroyed from Prop and delamination, and wing slot is also broken. Stuff from the boom to the tail is fine.

Luckily I still have my Park Shark to fly around and keep me amused and as soon as my new props arrive I can try out my Stuart Little Biplane again.

-Chris
Old Nov 20, 2006, 01:33 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Hah!
Watch it with that Shark - I did the same thing to My Shark as you did with the Frog.
Only I didn't have a big battery or a camera on board.
Mine was lightly loaded with no bracing.
Loops at full throttle at the bottom of the loop WITH A THREE PIECE wing and no peeled foam will crack the wing in the middle.
Mine didn't spin in. It just flew funny with a limp wing

Fun video - and it was nice not to hear the motor screaming like in other flyer's videos.
Rear engine wins again!
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Nov 20, 2006, 01:44 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
6,808 Posts
2 questions,

Was the camera mounted sideways?

What model is the cam, looked nice and clear, the crash was awesome, can't beat solid state gear!

Thanks for sharing!
RemE is online now Find More Posts by RemE
Old Nov 20, 2006, 02:01 PM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
hmmm, thanks for that warning wjbite. I think I'll be adding some bracing to my Park Shark before my next flight.

Yeah mine literally snapped in half. I luckily remember to kill the throttle and go neutral on all controls after it happened so I didn't drive it into the ground any harder than gravity would take it.

Any other suggestions of what I shouldn't do??
Old Nov 20, 2006, 02:09 PM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE
2 questions,

Was the camera mounted sideways?

What model is the cam, looked nice and clear, the crash was awesome, can't beat solid state gear!

Thanks for sharing!
Question 1: yes, it was mounted such that you need to turn your head 90 degrees to the right to see what a pilot would see.

Question 2: The camera is a ST-labs eDVR 5-in-1. There is a thread in the Park Flyers forum about it. The camera is a 128MB USB key with a LiPo battery, digital camera, audio recorder, and video recorder.

I get about 6 minutes of footage at 640x480 30fps with audio you can drop the setting to 640x480 15fps with low quality audio but I do not know how long the video would last for. The LiPo lasts about 2 hours and charges when connected to the computer. It's the best $95 investment I've made. I have not been able to find one in the USA though mine is FCC certified. I ordered via another member of this forum.

link to manufacteur:
http://www.sunsway.com.hk/products/edvr.html
Old Nov 20, 2006, 02:13 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1 Posts
Ouch! at least you got a bit of flying time in
Trax is offline Find More Posts by Trax
Old Nov 20, 2006, 02:38 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
nice video .. never trust a heavily loaded wing to just a CA joint.. i use epoxy on mine also ..

may want to add wing struts if your going to haul around that heavy battery and camera..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Nov 20, 2006, 03:38 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Try putting cf rod under the wing at the highest point, the length of the center panel.
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Nov 20, 2006, 03:44 PM
Gadsden Municipal, Alabama, United States
Joined Jun 2004
136 Posts
Hey
Ran across this thread - been trying to get in touch with Foam Fly but they don't answer e-mails - want a frong but have couple questions -anyone know how to get in touch
Thanks
justaguy533 is offline Find More Posts by justaguy533
Old Nov 20, 2006, 03:53 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
6,808 Posts
I though it was that model, I can't find a source for them. I did see another model that was also mentioned, its even smaller, has removeable SD memory, and was $45. I popped a 512meg SD in it and it records for something like 45min. It's 320x240 at 15fps, so not going to be as good. Still need to fly it and see what it looks like.

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....ROD_ID=1843095
RemE is online now Find More Posts by RemE
Old Nov 20, 2006, 04:20 PM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,675 Posts
Chris,

Ouch. Glad to hear most of it will be airborne again soon. I suppose it's a little too late, but I've been recommending that folks put some strapping tape on the underside of the leading and trailing edge of the wing. That'll keep those wings in place...

-Dan
Hippo is offline Find More Posts by Hippo
Old Nov 21, 2006, 04:54 AM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
Dan, Do the cracks start at the leading and trailer edge or in the middle of the wing?

Justaguy, there is a thread running about the Frog, ask your questions inside that and all should be answered.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll be reinforcing the Park Shark before Thanksgiving for some turkey flying.

-Chris
Old Nov 23, 2006, 06:43 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
So far I have seen or heard of quite a few crash videos from the viewpoint of a camera mounted on the model aircraft; as well, there has been incident-free flying too. In every incident the camera equipment survived, and most of the planes were repairable. This provides a good reference for the durability of these cameras.

But most important, I've noticed planes' aerodynamic and functional behaviors that are certainly not apparent from the ground (unless you're on the ground wearing flying goggles that provide a virtual reality.) This in itself is a great learning tool!
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik